GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

2.5 sounding like it has no muffler

marksix

Passed Driver's Ed
Hey guys,

I started my car today and right away I knew there is something wrong with it. My car that is usually pretty quiet (stock) was sounding like it had a performance exhaust. I just came back from a road trip to Vermont yesterday and everything was working perfectly.

I have no CEL. I scanned it with Obdeleven. What could be the problem? Hole in the muffler?

Thanks

jay745

What Would Glenn Danzig Do
Hey guys,

I started my car today and right away I knew there is something wrong with it. My car that is usually pretty quiet (stock) was sounding like it had a performance exhaust. I just came back from a road trip to Vermont yesterday and everything was working perfectly.

I have no CEL. I scanned it with Obdeleven. What could be the problem? Hole in the muffler?

Thanks
Yep. The 2.5 sounds MEAN with an aftermarket exhaust or hole in the exhaust somewhere. It's one of the best sounding VW engines out there honestly. I've had a gaping hole in mine for months, no cel yet. It's LOUD but does sound decent. I haven't fixed it yet due to money contraints.

MLue1

Drag Racing Champion
Hey guys,

Thanks
Ya, me too! Came back from the US with an exhaust leak, I haven't had time to put it on a lift yet but soon. I'm hoping it's the exhaust sleeve clamp and not a weld joint, but we'll see.

marksix

Passed Driver's Ed
Yep. The 2.5 sounds MEAN with an aftermarket exhaust or hole in the exhaust somewhere. It's one of the best sounding VW engines out there honestly. I've had a gaping hole in mine for months, no cel yet. It's LOUD but does sound decent. I haven't fixed it yet due to money contraints.
I might have to wait before fixing it too because of money contraints. I also have other stuff to do on the car.
Ya, me too! Came back from the US with an exhaust leak, I haven't had time to put it on a lift yet but soon. I'm hoping it's the exhaust sleeve clamp and not a weld joint, but we'll see.

My mechanic will take a look at it this Wednesday. Hopefully it's a exhaust clamp. It's strange that it doesn't throw a CEL though.

MLue1

Drag Racing Champion
....My mechanic will take a look at it this Wednesday. Hopefully it's a exhaust clamp. It's strange that it doesn't throw a CEL though.
That's a sign that it's far enough after the CAT so it wouldn't throw a code.

After I responded earlier, I got off my ass and went over to my Buddy's shop and placed it on the lift,... confirmed it is just the 60mm Exhaust Sleeve Clamp (1K0253141N) loose, the bolts are corroded, the pipe looks OK so just have to order up a new one.

https://parts.vw.com/a/Volkswagen_2...50016_5977297/EXHAUST-COMPONENTS/9274325.html

A new one is a bit pricey (+$40), you can get cheap aftermarket ones for like $20 or so but prolly won't be as corosion resistant.
95mm https://www.europaparts.com/exhaust-pipe-clamp-1k0253141n.html

Cheap fix, I hope your problem is the same!

Last edited:

marksix

Passed Driver's Ed
That's a sign that it's far enough after the CAT so it wouldn't throw a code.

After I responded earlier, I got off my ass and went over to my Buddy's shop and placed it on the lift,... confirmed it is just the 60mm Exhaust Sleeve Clamp (1K0253141N) loose, the bolts are corroded, the pipe looks OK so just have to order up a new one.

https://parts.vw.com/a/Volkswagen_2...50016_5977297/EXHAUST-COMPONENTS/9274325.html

A new one is a bit pricey (+$40), you can get cheap aftermarket ones for like $20 or so but prolly won't be as corosion resistant.

Cheap fix, I hope your problem is the same!
Thanks! Hopefully it's just the clamp. Maybe I should buy one just in case and bring it to my mechanic on Wednesday. If it's not the problem I can just return it.

marksix

Passed Driver's Ed
Hey MLue, it was just the clamp! 45$ for the part and installation. My mechanic also found out that all my rotors and pads need to be replaced soon though. Oh well I wanted to install performance ones anyway. :)

usefulidiot

Go Kart Champion
I had this at 130km. Sounded like a way more expensive problem then it ended up being.

MLue1

Drag Racing Champion
I had this at 130km. Sounded like a way more expensive problem then it ended up being.
Hey Ben, I had to post this, my neighbour just did an even cheaper fix on his GTI, instead of buying the Sleeve clamp, the "cheap skate" bought two $2 stainless steel hose clamps from Princess Auto. Apparently the sleeve itself is made from Stainless Steel and was in pretty good condition so he just removed the old rusted clams and install the 2 hose clamps and everything has been fine, we will see how they hold up with the snow and salt tho.

Pretty good idea if you're in a pinch.

Dartregor

Ready to race!
Hey Ben, I had to post this, my neighbour just did an even cheaper fix on his GTI, instead of buying the Sleeve clamp, the "cheap skate" bought two $2 stainless steel hose clamps from Princess Auto. Apparently the sleeve itself is made from Stainless Steel and was in pretty good condition so he just removed the old rusted clams and install the 2 hose clamps and everything has been fine, we will see how they hold up with the snow and salt tho.

Pretty good idea if you're in a pinch.

Ive actually done the same on my friends old gti. Lasted longer than the car unfortunately.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MLue1

Drag Racing Champion
Ive actually done the same on my friends old gti. Lasted longer than the car unfortunately.
Yup, Thanks Dartregor for confirming.

If I haven't said it directly, you do the same on the Golf, in a pinch you can use the original stainless steel sleeve and secure it with two hose clamps.

Last edited: