GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

RPM hang after IE stage 2

Wascally Wabbit1

Drag Racing Champion
Well despite the fact that Gram's assured me it would work the 70mm TB will not work with the 2.5L. The sensors are not compatible. Tried to align the TPS with VCDS and error. Emailed support and they said it should work. Showed them the errors and they backpedaled and said it is not compatible. Lame. Anyway for those thinking about it. Forget it. To reiterate...

The Grams 70mm throttle body is not compatible with the MK5 or MK6 2.5L engine. The website says it is but this is not correct.

Last edited:

MLue1

Drag Racing Champion
Since you have VCDS to recali the TB, you can swap in a borrowed throttle body to test.

Wascally Wabbit1

Drag Racing Champion
IDK it could be the MAP sensor being sensitive.

It looks like the engine is compensating... , it reminds me of how our stock tune was acting going down steep hills in cruise control, since it was in gear it would pulse/surge when going down steep hills at like 70 mph when the cruise control backed off. I never solved the problem but once the IE Stage2 Tune was installed the problem disappeared.

Well I think I found an answer. So today I drove out to Palm Springs for a conference and going over the grade there was an accident so it was stop and go traffic up a steep hill. My car was acting up bigtime. It would rev when starting out in first and as MLue stated above "compensate" and as the rpm's dropped I would gas it to bring them back up, as I'm on a steep incline, and the engine would not respond temporarily and then kick in. Then because you're now flooring it trying to get some rpm's it takes off. It was an extreme example of the issue I have been dealing with. So then I thought maybe there's a sensor in the clutch or something that was killing the engine because it was thinking it would stall? No sensor that I know of in the clutch other then the position sensor to make sure the clutch is in when starting the car. So what would kill the engine like that? Then it hit me and I remembered my dark winters trying to do donuts in the Cabellas parking lot in Anchorage in my TDI. When trying to have some fun the traction control would kick in and kill the engine and hit the brakes until you get traction again. So I wondered if maybe the traction control was kicking in when the engine revved in first thinking I was trying to do a burnout or something. So I said well lets just see what happens if I turn it off. Well. Night and day difference in throttle control with it off. It still revs a little when starting sometimes but now I can actually compensate for it and have a clean start whereas I was trying to compensate and my car was trying to compensate and it was just all over the place. Literally today I would be trying to start in first up hill and the car would rev and I would hold the throttle steady and the rpm would oscillate 1000 rpm on its own several times before the throttle would react to my foot position. It was nuts. Turned off traction control....drives like a normal car. Thoughts? Drove all day with traction control off. It was wonderful.

Makes me think the TPS is actually going, or has gone, bad.

Wascally Wabbit1

Drag Racing Champion
Also on my commute today with traction control off I had no revving or throttle issues at all. Also my MPG is showing 5+ mpg more for the trip both ways. Something is definitely FUBAR somewhere.

Ordered a new TB today. If that doesn't do it I am not sure where to go. I guess just drive with the TC off all the time.

Last edited:

Wascally Wabbit1

Drag Racing Champion
Installed the new TB and problem solved. Car runs perfect. Cannot believe I have been driving this thing for almost a year with the throttle as jacked up as it was. I just thought the golf had really crappy throttle response and I never got any codes for anything related to the throttle or traction control.

Apparently there was an issue with the connection between the throttle body and the traction control.

MLue1

Drag Racing Champion
Great job!

Now that it's fixed and you know how easy the 2.5 is to drive, don't go falling a sleep driving in stop and go traffic.:lol:

Last edited:

Wascally Wabbit1

Drag Racing Champion
In case anyone was curious what the inside of the Throttle Body looked like.

MLue1

Drag Racing Champion
Those gears control the position of the throttle butterfly, I believe your TB failed on the idle control side, ... it would be good to know how that goes.

Wascally Wabbit1

Drag Racing Champion
WW, I found this add for the TB gears, for sh!ts and giggles can you check to see if this kit is compatible with our 2.5 TB; check part number from your throttle body match against the list at the bottom of the add. If it matches, it could be an option for someone looking for a budget TB fix,...OR NOT.
https://www.ebay.ca/itm/THROTTLE-BO...h=item4d7f9f1c7d:g:-N0AAOSw-tlb0hLG:rk:7:pf:0

I don't think it will fit the golf. There is one part number that is very close 07K-128-063-A vs 07K-133-062-A (golf part#). On the golf the partial gear is one piece and fits directly on the shaft whereas on the TB's for this kit that partial gear fits on another piece that fits on the shaft. My guess is if you had that other piece it would fit on the golf.

MLue1

Drag Racing Champion
I don't think it will fit the golf. There is one part number that is very close 07K-128-063-A vs 07K-133-062-A (golf part#). On the golf the partial gear is one piece and fits directly on the shaft whereas on the TB's for this kit that partial gear fits on another piece that fits on the shaft. My guess is if you had that other piece it would fit on the golf.
WW, Thanks for the input, I guess it's a NOT, too bad coulda save someone some cash.

MLue1

Drag Racing Champion
I plan on flashing to IE Stage2, next week after I get the exhaust leak sorted. Right now with the exhaust leak there is a dead spot just above 3K, if i back off then get back on, BUT if i rev from low to high rpm it is not too noticeable.

First test/observation will be to see/answer the question of the EI Stage2 Tune with the Stock Intake manifold. I hope to flash back to Stage1, if it runs like Sh!t.

Second will be to install a hack manifold that I started working on yesterday, .... more later.
I had Flashed to Stage2 a while back, forgot the exact date. Yes still running the Original Intake Manifold (07K133201), I've swapped them so many times I lost track of which one is on the car, either version L or K but not the new M version.

Stage2 Tune with the Stock Intake Manifold(IM) with respect to performance, seems to pull smoother between 2k and 3K, over-all compared to Stage1, it sounds alot crisper and bit more angrier than the Stage1 Tune which sounds hollow by comparison, for a $100 more performance is slightly better from 4.5K to 7K and again sounds better getting there. I'm still having alot of fun, so I haven't flashed back to Stage1, not sure if I will.

Reving past 7K doesn't have any advantage with the Stock IM but sounds ahell of alot better than Stage1. Gas milage is surprisingly still quite good, I woulda expected Stage2 to use alot more fuel, especially since the temps right now around freezing, but I smell rotten eggs... so the Stage2 Tune is running a bit richer.

IE Black Friday around the corner BUT I've spend so much on my other car that I'm having second thoughts on pulling the trigger.

:23:

EDIT: Updated/clarified a few comments above.
Black Friday came and went and I'm still with the Stage2 Tune and Stock IM, no I didn't pull the trigger, the adjusted price is like$1000 CA$,...has something to do with it. By the Book, it's not the optimum setup but the fact that I'm still using the Stage2 Tune should tell you something. I'm actually thinking that for the automatic cars, the Stage2 Tune and Stock IM along with the Automatic Transmission Tune would be a better combination, as the longer runners allows more mid-range torque where the auto box needs it and the Automatic Tune allows you to rev past the trannys limits to get that extra bit of performance, again not optimal as you're not running the SRI but prolly better drivability, some bragging rights, ... your choice.

Last edited: