GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

autobahn moving hid problem....

carbonbahn

Passed Driver's Ed
I have just bought a 2011 gti autobahn and I had seen online that the headlights when turned on at night should look up down left n right to find the road. Why is it that mine just turn on and do nothing? They still turn to the road although the lower turning lights do not illuminate when turning. Please help thank-you

pure_lunatic

Ready to race!
I don't even have these but I'm not aware they look up and down also? Someone can correct me if I'm wrong surely.

No clue what lower turning lights are. I'm guessing you're talking about a vag-com foglight control mod that some people do?

SnowBall GTI

Ready to race!
Just a shot in the dark, but is your 'bend lighting' enabled in your MFI convenience menu?

The lights don't do their dance every single time, I've noticed...

carbonbahn

Passed Driver's Ed
Yes it is.engaged. so ur saying it doesn't do it every time

JonnyChoc

Passed Driver's Ed
I'm not entirely sure how they are supposed to work either (and I have them) but the thing that I noticed is they only do the dance when turning them on if you are in park.

I find that if I turn them on later, they will just turn on and do their thing. I've never checked to see that they turn but check that setting for Bend lighting that the others have mentioned.

shadowblue

Ready to race!
It does it right when you turn on the engine... If you have your e-brake engaged and don't turn your lights on until 30 seconds later, your lights won't do the move...

WhiteMK6-11

Passed Driver's Ed
I had the same question about my xenon's (I've only had my car 2 weeks) and I finally figured it out.

The projector's do "the dance", as I call it, every time you turn the car on ... every time (even if you turn it off and then right back on). Even with the lights off and the ebrake up, they still move (have something else start the car and check it out for yourself).

In order to actually see it happen, you have to either drop your ebrake or physically turn them on *immediately* after starting the car because it does it right away (regardless of whether or not the lights are on).

Jason3D

Go Kart Champion
Yes, just turn on the lights immediately after you start the car and they move around as you described. It does this on my car whether Bend Lighting is enabled or not.

LittleJohny

Go Kart Champion
The lights should dance every single time you start the car. This is the auto-leveling process. Since HIDs are bright, if they are pointed too high, the people in front of you will be blinded and extremely annoyed. The auto leveling process corrects for significant shifts in weight which may cause the car to be pointed up slightly (i.e. carrying a large load in the trunk).

That being said, when you drive, the lights turn left and right to corner. They are not supposed to point up and down also. Our cars aren't special enough to do that (high end luxury cars will activate high beams automatically and deactivate them if a car is detected in front of you).

As for the "lower turning lights", I believe you are referring to the fog lights acting as cornering lights? That needs to be activated via vag com