GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

DSG people: Odd shifts with the AC on when it's hot out?

bburns36

Ready to race!
I've searched around and seen people complaining of surging/lag/weird engine performance with the AC on, but haven't seen anyone mention odd DSG behavior. Specifically delayed clutch engagement from a stop, really pronounced surging for a sec right after a 2-3 or 3-4 shift under normal acceleration, and once in awhile a *thud* for a 4-3 or 3-2 downshift after slowing and rolling back on the throttle gently.

Anyone run into this, or know of any recent software flashes to mitigate this? Don't really feel like bugging the dealer if it's just going to be the old "it's normal" BS...

theunholy

Go Kart Champion
I do, i'm not sure if its normal, but my A4 sometimes did sth similar too. I hate that lag its like the transmission want to die already...but I think this is normal? anyone can verify?
will the torque insert thing kills it?

TheCastle

Ready to race!
The Audi A4 comes with a CVT or Conventional Torque converter automatic. The Audi A4 does not have the same automatic transmission as the GTI. The GTI comes with a DSG.

Some clutch slipping on certian shifts is normal for the DSG. IT does so to keep the engine from bogging just like a manual. I find mine tends to do it the most from a rolling stop where you give it a lot of gas.

Thunking on downshifts is not normal, and slipping on 3-4th shifts is not normal.. Lots of people had these types of problems in early DSGs and they were typically correct with a Mechatronics replacement. Not something cheap unless you car is still under warrenty.

theunholy

Go Kart Champion
The Audi A4 comes with a CVT or Conventional Torque converter automatic. The Audi A4 does not have the same automatic transmission as the GTI. The GTI comes with a DSG.

Some clutch slipping on certian shifts is normal for the DSG. IT does so to keep the engine from bogging just like a manual. I find mine tends to do it the most from a rolling stop where you give it a lot of gas.

Thunking on downshifts is not normal, and slipping on 3-4th shifts is not normal.. Lots of people had these types of problems in early DSGs and they were typically correct with a Mechatronics replacement. Not something cheap unless you car is still under warrenty.
Oh! Im not saying that my A4 is a DSG, I know its a 5 speed tip. but something its a little jerky when come to a stop and goes. Maybe my a4 need to change the Transmission fluid. :) My a4's shifts not that quick...

littleazn248

Go Kart Champion
I have had my dsg act up a little when on a steeper incline. The car would roll back a little. Not sure if its normal though since I normally use my handbrake. Reverse is also a little choppy. Those are very minor things though.

Carbon Steel

Go Kart Champion
NO issues in heat or otherwise.

TheAire

Passed Driver's Ed
I've searched around and seen people complaining of surging/lag/weird engine performance with the AC on, but haven't seen anyone mention odd DSG behavior. Specifically delayed clutch engagement from a stop, really pronounced surging for a sec right after a 2-3 or 3-4 shift under normal acceleration, and once in awhile a *thud* for a 4-3 or 3-2 downshift after slowing and rolling back on the throttle gently.

Anyone run into this, or know of any recent software flashes to mitigate this? Don't really feel like bugging the dealer if it's just going to be the old "it's normal" BS...

I'm having a similar problem, same pre requisites hot out and a/c on, but its mainly on my 1-2 shift feels like the clutch is either slipping or just slow to react, so I'm curious as well if a software update would help this.

Oh also mine only does this when I'm in auto mode, if I'm in manual no issues.

reillyse

Go Kart Champion

I experience all of the above. The thing that scares me is the thud. And I have had 2 mech units replaced and my clutch packs once.

jeffreyj

Ready to race!
Mine (and the wife's EOS) definitely acts weird in the summer with a/c on. As soon as I turn the a/c off, everything is fine so it tells me it's just the a/c pulling too much power from the engine and increasing turbo lag. I usually just use manual mode when it's acting up or if I really need to control the car (ie: pulling in to traffic, driving in stop and go traffic, etc).

ganieanyp

Mine definitely acts weird.. Just got it too. A/C doesn't have to be on.. But it rolls in Park, Reverse, Drive, all of em. Upshifting is never odd, but as I'm slowing down and it shifts from 3-2 there is a sudden jerk and audible clunk. Not sure if that's normal or if I should bring it in. I purchased an extended 4 yr bumper to bumper though. Any advice?

GTIMKV20

APR Stage I
Mine is always a bitch with A/C on. I'll drive in it manual with A/C or just roll windows down and go el natural. DSG does not like the air cond at all. Nor does many cars for that matter. I'd say normal.

bburns36

Ready to race!
It's fine in manual mode. I think I'll just live with it. You can drive "around" it and passengers don't notice, but, I wish someone had spent an extra couple days tweaking the software. :-\

I know in previous turbo Saabs I owned which were manual, one had to greatly change their driving technique on a hot day with the AC on, the car had no low end torque whatsoever and you could easily stall from a stop. Lots of throttle and back off as the turbo finally spools. FWIW, that translated into 16-17mpg around town just keeping up with traffic :mad0259:

Maybe it's not so much an issue, as DSGVW noted it's largely fine in manual mode, maybe a wee bit laggier.

Oh well, it's under warranty, if it blows up it's not my problem.

pcole904

Passed Driver's Ed
Never had an issue with mine. Thank god, cuz maintenance for it is an arm and a leg. I live in Fl, i blast my A/C.