GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

GTI, Loving the Small Things

2011gti

Ready to race!
I'm looking into buying a used 2010 GTI in about a year or so, and I love this thread. :)
Gets me all the more excited.

But then again, I'll be coming from a 96' Ford Ranger. The biggest feature it has is airbags. ;)

Keep these little details coming! Love reading them.

ha i just came from a 2000 ford ranger to a 2011 gti, you wont know what to do the first month its such a big upgrade its awesome you will love it, my favoirte is the power options, my ranger didnt have power windows or locks

Jasper1

1. That the window controls have brushed aluminum tips.
2. Seat height adjustment (I'm just below average height)
3. Seatbelt paths in the rear seat so if you fold down the seats the belts don't slip behind.

Don't love.
1. Radio turns off when engin turns off and Pushing the FM,SAT or MEDIA doesn't turn on the radio.
2. Media player won't remember the folder your in last on iPod.
3. Sometimes releasing the handbrake feels like it is all the way down but isn't.

Jasper1

One more thing,

The rope that pulls the trunk shelf has a ball in the end of it. Noticed that the ball has soft curved leaves around it. These leaves at as sound dampeners so when the shelf is down and doesn't lift up with the trunk, it's quite when it knocks into the side walls of the trunk.

LittleJohny

Go Kart Champion
1. Radio turns off when engin turns off and Pushing the FM,SAT or MEDIA doesn't turn on the radio.

It will come back on if you press the power button. Even if the key isn't in the car.

One more thing,

The rope that pulls the trunk shelf has a ball in the end of it. Noticed that the ball has soft curved leaves around it. These leaves at as sound dampeners so when the shelf is down and doesn't lift up with the trunk, it's quite when it knocks into the side walls of the trunk.

I never noticed this until the first time I took off the cover. Also, there is a rubber piece on the inside of the hatch door. When closed, this rubber piece is pressed against the edge of the cover, preventing it from bouncing when driving.

AutoMeister

Passed Driver's Ed
One thing I love about the most recent VWs is when you tap the turn signal, it automatically flashes three times for you... sweet

Ivoryplum

Passed Driver's Ed
ha i just came from a 2000 ford ranger to a 2011 gti, you wont know what to do the first month its such a big upgrade its awesome you will love it, my favoirte is the power options, my ranger didnt have power windows or locks

Ah, man.
Gets me so excited.
I know...I'm reading through all of the things in this thread, and can't believe how many features are packed into this thing (that VW doesn't even advertise).
Genius manufacturing.

Can't wait to get mine. :)

And I had to manually install power locks in my ranger. haha. No switch though in the cabin, just works with the keyless alarm.
It's still a pain to lean over and roll the passenger window down.

Ivoryplum

Passed Driver's Ed
Basic stuff but I like how when you're wipers are on and you back up your rear windshield wipers automatically turn on.

I think this is one of my favorite features I've read in this thread so far.
Makes you wonder why other manufactures don't think of these things...

Firestem4

Ready to race!
2. Seat height adjustment (I'm just below average height)

Amen. I am 6'7 (slightly above average height...)

I don't own a GTI yet but ive been on a few test drives. Things I love:

1) There is so much room inside of the cabin for passengers.

(I took a test drive with my brother. I am 6'7 and not exactly skinny. my brother is 6'8. The salesman we were with was a bit taller than my brother. He sat in the back during the test drive. Nobody complained about cramped spaces).

Incredible

Jasper1

got more

The buttons on the steering wheel are illuminated, even the +- on the paddles.
On the trunk door sil, there is a spring loaded plastic piece that covers up the hole when the trunk is open. I assume this is so nothing gets in there and possibly cause a malfunction if you close the trunk on it. I also like the removable rubber liners in the cup holders. There is also a weird space in the drive door compartment. Its a little opening thats goes past the typical storage space. Maybe a nice place to put something you wouldn't want someone else to find.

I never noticed this until the first time I took off the cover. Also, there is a rubber piece on the inside of the hatch door. When closed, this rubber piece is pressed against the edge of the cover, preventing it from bouncing when driving.

Good catch

It will come back on if you press the power button. Even if the key isn't in the car.

It is nice that the radio can play without the key. I just find myself getting to work and keeping the car on so I don't miss a couple seconds of what's on the radio.

Firestem4

Ready to race!
I just found out recently, and really like the fact that when I have the wipers on and I come to a complete stop, the wipers slow down!

It's been raining the past few days in my area and so i've actually been breaking in my wipers :)

P

plac

probably only for people that have the window rain sensor. i dont.

gtibot

Ready to race!
One thing I love about the most recent VWs is when you tap the turn signal, it automatically flashes three times for you... sweet

at first i liked it but then had to turn it off after awhile. i found there were times where i would signal but actually changed my mind or signalled too early and i didn't want it to keep signaling since it's dangerous.

The best instance i can think of is if i signal a right hand turn but decide i don't want to turn (maybe too early, wrong street, whatever), it is still blinking. So a car that is waiting to turn into my lane may think i am still turning right and will turn into my path.