GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Inconsistent Misfiring

(. )( .)

Go Kart Champion
YO guys.

So i'm getting a random misfire in my cylinder 4; replaced all sparkplugs and coils already, and after about a week from replacing them, it misfired from a cold start, same CEL..

Drove on it for about 100 miles, reset the light, and now it's not misfiring anymore (atleast for now).

Carbon cleaning was done 40k miles ago, new plugs and coils... what else could it be?

(. )( .)

Go Kart Champion
even if it's inconsistent? i've put on another 50-60 miles from the time i reset the light, no cel.

the point is, i don't want to mess w/ the tensioner if I don't have to..

youloze

Ready to race!
By inconsistent do you mean it happens randomly? I have a cylinder 3 misfire that happens only on cold starts and not every time...although it is happening more frequently. I have also replaced coils and plugs. Haven't performed the carbon clean yet though.

If you figure it out please report back and I'll do the same.

(. )( .)

Go Kart Champion
yes by inconsistent i mean random. cold start, not every time; so far it's happened on three separate occasions, of like 30 starts.

youloze

Ready to race!
That's how mine started. I would clear the code and it would eventually come back. It has been happening much more frequently lately, probably once every few days. Does your car shake a bit at idle on the cold start for the first 20-30 seconds then smooth out?

steemax

Go Kart Champion
Sounds like carbon build up again, especially since you already tried plugs and packs. :iono:

(. )( .)

Go Kart Champion
That's how mine started. I would clear the code and it would eventually come back. It has been happening much more frequently lately, probably once every few days. Does your car shake a bit at idle on the cold start for the first 20-30 seconds then smooth out?

yep. sometimes it shakes when it's warm.

mto386

Go Kart Newbie
40k miles is enough for it to build up again. It could be faulty fuel injectors too. I had a similar problem, VW replaced 3 of 4 injectors under warranty and offered $200 to clean my valves.

steemax

Go Kart Champion
god damn it lmao. that would be a good thing if it was carbon.

If you want to make sure, you can buy one of those little snake scope cams from Amazon for like $20. Remove the little IAT sensor and check out the buildup. Takes like 5 minutes to do.

Sebastian89

Ready to race!
Could be intake mani itself... Does it stop after it warms up?

Also another possibility is gunk on your crank position sensor. I chased a misfire for a long time when in reality there was no misfire... It just read it as such

youloze

Ready to race!
Could be intake mani itself... Does it stop after it warms up?

Also another possibility is gunk on your crank position sensor. I chased a misfire for a long time when in reality there was no misfire... It just read it as such

There was no code for the sensor itself? Just misfire codes?

blingdub

Go Kart Newbie
If you want to make sure, you can buy one of those little snake scope cams from Amazon for like $20. Remove the little IAT sensor and check out the buildup. Takes like 5 minutes to do.

how much can you see? just one of the valves or all 4?