GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Is there an "acceptable" amount of misfires?

BudgetPhoenix

Autocross Champion
I was messing with obdeleven today and decided to check out the misfire counter measuring blocks because I never had before. Was surprised to see I would occasionally get random misfires in all the cylinders when accelerating normally from a stop. WOT and high speeds there was no misfires. It wasnt a lot, like it would read 1 misfire in cyl 1 and 3, then reset after the timed interval. Come to a stop again and take off and it might register 1 misfire in cyl 4. It didnt do it every time. WOT and higher speeds there were no misfires at all.

Ive never gotten any codes for misfires before, no flashing CEL. No faults stored and I haven't had any for a while now. Im currently Eurodyne stage 2 and put in new spark plugs gapped at .028 and R8 coilpacks last year. Absolutely zero driveability issues or symptoms and I honestly wouldn't have known about this if I didn't randomly decide to look at the measuring blocks.

Is this even something to worry about? I searched around and didn't see too much on resolving this issue or if its supposed to be normal. Carbon cleaning in need maybe? Thanks

Last edited:

Laimface

Ready to race!
How many miles does the car have? Mines at 61k. I'm starting to get a lumpy feeling on idle when the car is cold, fine when hot though. Might attempt a decarbon myself when it gets warmer outside because working on a car when cold makes me rush and break stuff haha. I'm on the same plug gap and coils at stage 1 btw too.

BudgetPhoenix

Autocross Champion
How many miles does the car have? Mines at 61k. I'm starting to get a lumpy feeling on idle when the car is cold, fine when hot though. Might attempt a decarbon myself when it gets warmer outside because working on a car when cold makes me rush and break stuff haha. I'm on the same plug gap and coils at stage 1 btw too.

97k, no cold start or idle issues yet. According to the dealer it was done by the last owner like at 58k or something. I think I might do it once it gets warmer here as well.

Roctre

Ready to race!
I just did my decarb and replaced my intake manifold the last 2 days and my car idles so much smoother and drives a bit smoother now, my GTI is at 75k.

zVp

Go Kart Champion
I was messing with obdeleven today and decided to check out the misfire counter measuring blocks because I never had before. Was surprised to see I would occasionally get random misfires in all the cylinders when accelerating normally from a stop. WOT and high speeds there was no misfires. It wasnt a lot, like it would read 1 misfire in cyl 1 and 3, then reset after the timed interval. Come to a stop again and take off and it might register 1 misfire in cyl 4. It didnt do it every time. WOT and higher speeds there were no misfires at all.

Ive never gotten any codes for misfires before, no flashing CEL. No faults stored and I haven't had any for a while now. Im currently Eurodyne stage 2 and put in new spark plugs gapped at .028 and R8 coilpacks last year. Absolutely zero driveability issues or symptoms and I honestly wouldn't have known about this if I didn't randomly decide to look at the measuring blocks.

Is this even something to worry about? I searched around and didn't see too much on resolving this issue or if its supposed to be normal. Carbon cleaning in need maybe? Thanks

I was also looking for this, but I think the general consensus is that random misfires is normal. Is it something like 1 count every minute or so in random cylinders? I think that is normal. I can't seem to find a definite answer, but it seems it occurs to a lot of people.

Under WOT, there *shouldn't* be any misfires, or else you'd lose power during acceleration and you'd notice it. Might not throw a CEL, but you'd notice it.

BudgetPhoenix

Autocross Champion
I was also looking for this, but I think the general consensus is that random misfires is normal. Is it something like 1 count every minute or so in random cylinders? I think that is normal. I can't seem to find a definite answer, but it seems it occurs to a lot of people.

Under WOT, there *shouldn't* be any misfires, or else you'd lose power during acceleration and you'd notice it. Might not throw a CEL, but you'd notice it.

Yeah thats exactly whats happening to me. Usually just 1 every minute or so and this is just taking off from a stop. I think the most I saw was 4, 1 in each cylinder

BudgetPhoenix

Autocross Champion
Bumping this old topic to see if anyone has some insight to this, and ive still never found any definitive answer and I still see people notice the same thing on VCDS. Car still behaves the same way with noticing 1-3 misfires occasionally with light throttle tip in at low cruising speeds which then go way. New timing chain as well since I've made this topic.

avni

Ready to race!
How do you tell if your car is misfiring with out VAGCOM/OBD?

smanierre

Autocross Champion
Can probably feel them, a slight jerk/hesitation in power and if they are real bad then your CEL will flash.

BudgetPhoenix

Autocross Champion
How do you tell if your car is misfiring with out VAGCOM/OBD?

Once you start misfiring real bad the CEL will come on and you'll probably get P300 + whichever cylinders are misfiring. Also it will flash with heavy misfires. Ive experienced this with a sudden blown PCV and a huge vacuum leak and a noticeably rough idle. The misfires I'm talking about in the OP are only registered in the misfire measuring blocks in VCDS and it will only count a couple at a time before they clear. I don't even know if they are real misfires.