GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

The GTI Rattle and solution thread

Stocktastic1

Go Kart Champion
I meant 31k price, not miles - miles wise I have only 8k.

:lol:

My bad.

Yeah, at 8k I was still silent.

I'm about at the point of taking it to the dealer and telling them I don't want it back until the rattles are gone.

Stocktastic1

Go Kart Champion
Apparently, there are TSBs from VWoA concerning almost every type of rattle imaginable.

It also lists Warranty Pay for rattles.

McQueen77

Banned
Apparently, there are TSBs from VWoA concerning almost every type of rattle imaginable.

It also lists Warranty Pay for rattles.

Where? Every dealer I've been to about it acts like you are crazy and does nothing. Do tell

Smooooth

Passed Driver's Ed
Has anyone figured out a good fix to reduce the rattle/vibration that comes from the glasses hatch in the center roof console? I have k04 with eurojet exhaust which creates a different vibration through the car around 1800 rpm

Stocktastic1

Go Kart Champion
Where? Every dealer I've been to about it acts like you are crazy and does nothing. Do tell

There are tons of TSBs over on the Touareg boards.

Simple shit like rattles and swirl marks.

And they get paid for it.

CD522211

Hi guys, first post here. I don't have a GTI yet. Two years ago I bought my son a brand new Passat. Few days later, I noticed some rattling noise coming near the windshield on the right side. I took it to the dealership, they changed the wiper. but the noise was still there. When the VW survey came, I said problem wasn't fixed. That almost got the tech fired. The dealership's service departments manager called me personally to ask me to come back to let him have a look.

He rode around with me, first he said he didn't hear anything, but I knew it was there. Then he used tapes to tape certain sections of where the windshild meets the frame, did that several times until we could isolate the spot. Then he injected some kind of sealant in that area, kept the car for the night. The noise was gone. I asked him not to fire the tech and he didn't. I didn't want a poor kid fired over little stuff like that.

Anyway, I know this is not related to this thread but just wanted to share.

Jacuzzi

Ready to race!
Just to throw my experience in, I was convinced I had noise coming from the rear hatch closure. I adjusted the rubber stops but it didn't improve. I recently had my 30K service and they said that it was all due to the tire change hardware moving around in the styrofoam tray. It's been good as new ever since. I am thinking I will wrap all of the tools in rags to make the fit a little tighter in the tray.

s2kguy

Ready to race!
Eureka! I've been listening to a loud THUMP coming from the trunk area for over a week. I tightened the spare and the jack tools, but it didn't help. Finally tracked it to the cover for the spare area. It was popping up on hitting bumps. The fit is critical: The fix is 1. raise the rear seats.
2. pull the covers strap to move the cover rearward, making sure the rear edge slides under the lip at the rear that secures it.
3. tuck in the front edge of the cover so that the seats will press against it.
4. raise the seats and make sure they are locked securely. Now:
You should have no more banging sounds.

O-III

Ready to race!
Still can't solve the sunroof sunshade rattle when the weather is cold! Wish someone would find a solution...

Stocktastic1

Go Kart Champion
Eureka! I've been listening to a loud THUMP coming from the trunk area for over a week. I tightened the spare and the jack tools, but it didn't help. Finally tracked it to the cover for the spare area. It was popping up on hitting bumps. The fit is critical: The fix is 1. raise the rear seats.
2. pull the covers strap to move the cover rearward, making sure the rear edge slides under the lip at the rear that secures it.
3. tuck in the front edge of the cover so that the seats will press against it.
4. raise the seats and make sure they are locked securely. Now:
You should have no more banging sounds.

Bout to try this.

I know that's been a big issue all along.

fender177

Ready to race!
The tape on the door latch seemed to really help! Thanks for the tip! For the rest of the I solved rattles, turn up the radio FTW

Stocktastic1

Go Kart Champion
I'm starting to get the whole "Stiff suspension and 18's" thing.

I was talking to a friend of mine with a slammed LS400 yesterday.

He is on BC Luxury Spec coils on full stiff, and my car is still stiffer.

We have the guts of an $18k car. It's a Golf with $10k worth of upgrades, but none to the interior.

Stiff suspension + Cheap interior = Rattles.

My "rattles" are more the things in the back moving around, foam/tools etc.

Door creaking again goes back to the suspension being stiff, and the chassis not.

Unibrace or Stern Rear Subframe Brace should help this at the root of the problem.

tg74

Window Rattle

Ok so my car just went over 1100 miles...now i am hearing a rattle from the drivers front window when i go over bumps....crack the window a little and it goes away...raise window all the way and there it is again...

McQueen77

Banned
Ok so my car just went over 1100 miles...now i am hearing a rattle from the drivers front window when i go over bumps....crack the window a little and it goes away...raise window all the way and there it is again...

Yeah, its something with the door, not the window I dont think. Something behind the panel. You dont hear it when the window is down because they went over the top with sound deadening in this car so you can hear a pin drop when the windows are closed. Its prob something with the door. Try the tubing. Tubing and white lithium grease helped my rattle by about 50% or so. Removing the panel and lining the whole thing with memory foam is inevitable for me but I haven't gotten around to it. Gotta go to the dealer and get a few extra clips before I attempt it as they will surely break with me at the helm..