Wheel bolts with 1 or 2 matching nuts
Cut-off tool
4 1/2" cut-off wheel
4 1/2" grinding wheel
Vice
Measuring tape
Pencil or marker
Safety glasses, safety mask, gloves and apron to protect your crotch

Tip: It may look like you're cutting straight until you pick the bolt up and realize it wasn't. Practice on a few junk screws and bolts and study how they come out so you understand how you have to hold the saw to get the best cut.

Step 1: Measure and mark your bolt to desired length. Measure the shank only. If you're cutting two different sizes, start with the longer ones so if you mess one up you can use it for a shorter one.

Step 2: Put the nut onto your bolt before cutting

Step 3: Secure bolt in vice with the end to be cut off locked in. Make sure the vice is very tight and the bolt is level with the surface you're cutting on.

Step 4: Cut (see video). Attach the cutting wheel. Hold the saw firm and straight. Anchor your elbows into your abdomen to help keep everything still. Stay calm and breathe, the sparks won't hurt you.

Important: After the cut, unscrew the nut. Doing so will help straighten out the threads. Put it back on and repeat a few times until everything is nice and smooth.

Your bolt will probably look like this: straight but a little rough with some high spots.

Step 5: Grind (see video). Attach the grinding wheel. Put the nut onto the bolt again. Don't worry about trying to make the tip look how it did when it was brand new. The only purpose for this step is to smooth out the high spots and make it easier for the nut (and eventually, your hub) to thread onto the bolt. DO NOT grind down the sides onto the threads. This will ruin the threads. Only grind the tip (holding the bolt perpendicular to the wheel) and if you'd like, a very small taper (10 degrees or so) around its edge. Unscrew and rescrew the nut a few times again to fix the threads.

After grinding:

Last edited:

callmegti

Go Kart Champion
I would probably think that someone has extended bolts that they don't need and want to shorten them.

Shwizzle

Ready to race!
1 to 2 hours for 20 bolts lol for real Id do all 20 in my shop in 30 mins. But y not just buy the correct length bolts?

spagett!

Go Kart Champion
What is the point of this? *flame suit up*

To cut down bolts to any desired size. You won't fuck them up if you take your time with it. I got bolts that only came in 28mm, 40mm, and 50mm. They're specialty bolts. I needed 10 of them to be 33mm to work with my wheels/spacers. So I got the 40mm and cut them all down to how I needed them.

1 to 2 hours for 20 bolts lol for real Id do all 20 in my shop in 30 mins. But y not just buy the correct length bolts?

Prove it.