GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

LightningRhod's quest to 200k.....and beyond

omer333

Passed Driver's Ed
I'm definitely following this thread since my car's at almost 79,000. It had 72,000 when I bought it.

Got any advice?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LightningRhod

Go Kart Champion
Might join u in March!
I'll definitely let you know! :thumbsup:

I'm definitely following this thread since my car's at almost 79,000. It had 72,000 when I bought it.

Got any advice?

In general, don't skimp on maintenance with this thing. If you want the car to last a long time, you'll need to know your car better than the average consumer:

- You may be due for a carbon cleaning since your at 79k. My car finally threw a code at 117k for dirty intake valves, but other forum members have reported having this problem at much lower mileage.

- Check if you have the old style chain tensioner (there's a lot of resources/threads on this site on how to do that). Labor is a bit expensive to get it updated to the new part , but worth the peace of mind IMO.

- Intake manifold warranty was extended to 10 yrs/120k miles I think? Not sure if that warranty is transferable since you bought it used, but just something to make note of if yours fails.

Is this a higher maintenance vehicle? YES. But I'll tell you this much. A Toyota Corolla never put a smile on my face as much as the GTI does every day :D:D:D:D

Last edited:

omer333

Passed Driver's Ed
In general, don't skimp on maintenance with this thing. If you want the car to last a long time, you'll need to know your car better than the average consumer:

- You may be due for a carbon cleaning since your at 79k. My car finally threw a code at 117k for dirty intake valves, but other forum members have reported having this problem at much lower mileage.

- Check if you have the old style chain tensioner (there's a lot of resources/threads on this site on how to do that). Labor is a bit expensive to get it updated to the new part , but worth the piece of mind IMO.

- Intake manifold warranty was extended to 10 yrs/120k miles I think? Not sure if that warranty is transferable since you bought it used, but just something to make note of if yours fails.

Is this a higher maintenance vehicle? YES. But I'll tell you this much. A Toyota Corolla never put a smile on my face as much as the GTI does every day :D:D:D:D

Turbos ain't cheap and EVERYTHING has a turbo nowadays.

Thanks for the heads-up on the carbon cleaning. What's the average price for that?

gdub09

Ready to race!
Turbos ain't cheap and EVERYTHING has a turbo nowadays.

Thanks for the heads-up on the carbon cleaning. What's the average price for that?

$600+ more than likely? Had a bad injector so they replace it under warranty and I did the cleaning while the manifold was off so I just had to pay for the cleaning. That was about $450ish if I remember.

LightningRhod

Go Kart Champion

LightningRhod

Go Kart Champion
So yesterday I got a CEL while I was driving. The car ran normally with normal power delivery. I figured it's probably due for another carbon cleaning, until I did an OBD scan and error code P2187 (System too lean at idle bank 1) popped up.

When starting the car today, the engine sputtered and struggled to start until I gave it a stab of gas. Once started though, the engine idles really rough. Quick google search indicates that the source of the failure is probably the PCV inner gasket. I have the part on order and probably won't arrive until Tuesday, so I'm somewhat stranded at the moment.

Apparently it's pretty common for the PCV to fail and I most likely have the first version of the part since my car is a 2011. Can't wait to put in the latest revision (06H103495AH) :).

Current mileage: 176k

tturbocar

Passed Driver's Ed
So yesterday I got a CEL while I was driving. The car ran normally with normal power delivery. I figured it's probably due for another carbon cleaning, until I did an OBD scan and error code P2187 (System too lean at idle bank 1) popped up.

When starting the car today, the engine sputtered and struggled to start until I gave it a stab of gas. Once started though, the engine idles really rough. Quick google search indicates that the source of the failure is probably the PCV inner gasket. I have the part on order and probably won't arrive until Tuesday, so I'm somewhat stranded at the moment.

Apparently it's pretty common for the PCV to fail and I most likely have the first version of the part since my car is a 2011. Can't wait to put in the latest revision (06H103495AH) :).

Current mileage: 176k

same thing happened to me. except that mine popped codes for the hpfp. had to restart it at a light and put my foot into it to get her moving. im at 101k

LightningRhod

Go Kart Champion
Quick update. I don't have time to further debug the issue, so I'm taking it into the shop on Wednesday:

P2187 - Bank 1; System too Lean at Idle
P2279 - Leak in Air Intake System

In trying to debug the issue, I've performed the following work:

- Replaced the spark plugs (NGK Iridium BKR7EIX)
- Replaced the PCV valve (updated part 06H-103-495-AH)

Unfortunately the new parts did not fix the issue.

LightningRhod

Go Kart Champion
Cleaned the MAF just now and started the car again to test. Didn't fix the issue. However, I am now getting misfires on cylinders 2 and 4.

P300 - Multiple misfires
P302 - Misfire on cylinder 2
P304 - Misfire on cylinder 4

A few years ago, I noticed the car would struggle to start until I stabbed the gas to give it some motivation. Now the car struggles unless keep my foot on the gas. So the trouble with the car probably started a few years, but didn't start throwing codes until now.

Hopefully the car can make the drive to the shop on Wednesday. I miss driving the car :(.

tturbocar

Passed Driver's Ed
Cleaned the MAF just now and started the car again to test. Didn't fix the issue. However, I am now getting misfires on cylinders 2 and 4.

P300 - Multiple misfires
P302 - Misfire on cylinder 2
P304 - Misfire on cylinder 4

A few years ago, I noticed the car would struggle to start until I stabbed the gas to give it some motivation. Now the car struggles unless keep my foot on the gas. So the trouble with the car probably started a few years, but didn't start throwing codes until now.

Hopefully the car can make the drive to the shop on Wednesday. I miss driving the car :(.

no codes with the hpfp? i cleared my codes and tried to start it up and keep doing the same issue yours had. but this time all the codes pointed to the hp pump failing and sure enough it was. replaced it and shes back to normal