GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV
VW GTI MKVI Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVI Forum / VW GTI Forum - Golfmk6.com

Go Back   VW GTI MKVI Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVI Forum / VW GTI Forum - Golfmk6.com > Technical Topics > GTI 2.0T Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Tunes

Old 03-22-2018, 09:15 AM   #1
Rich472
Ready to race!

Drives: 2014 Mk6 gti Wolfsburg Edition
Ignition Coil Opinions

Hello all,

So I have been having issues with cylinder misfires and the dealer recommended replacing all spark plugs and ignition coils with OEM VW parts (I'm at 81k miles by the way). I decided to start with replacing the 4 spark plugs with OEM VW parts but the check engine light was still on. I like the idea of getting the R8 coils next rather than going with OEM especially since they are cheaper. I need to get emissions testing done soon so I really need the check engine light to go away. So what i'm wondering is if anyone has had a similar issue and if the CEL went away when installing the R8 coils? Or should I just play it safe and stick with the more expensive OEM parts from the dealer. Thanks for looking!
Rich472 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2018, 12:54 PM   #2
andrewd
Ready to race!

Drives: 13 GTI DSG 09 Rabbit 2.5
To my understanding the Red/R8 coils are really more important if you are tuned. I have a set of the regular genuine vw coils in my mk6 gti and then the red top bosch ones in my mk5 2.5. No issues with either. Personally I’d suggest looking at duetsche auto for the red Bosch ones, cheap and good. I’d probably start with coils for your misfires but keep in mind the TSI’s are known for injector issues or carbon building causes misfires as well.
andrewd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2018, 01:10 PM   #3
brobst
Formula 5000 Champion

Drives: CSG mk6 6MT
If you are having ignition coil engine codes. Then this will solve your problem. Red top coils are about 20 each and have not failed most people even at k04 and above levels.
This is definitely a buy and never look back thing. You will not regret. And it gives a little color contrast for the engine bay lol.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
Superior interior is like 500hp at the wheels doe
brobst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2018, 01:55 PM   #4
Rich472
Ready to race!

Drives: 2014 Mk6 gti Wolfsburg Edition
Thanks for the for the info. I'm thinking i'll go for the R8 ones considering I plan on getting tuned in the near future!
Rich472 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2018, 12:52 PM   #5
raphaelpmc
Go Kart Newbie

Drives: Fusca 2012 (Beetle)
I think that is more importante get the actualized version. Doesn't matter if it is red or black but search for the last version, i guess that are F and G for EA888 gen1
raphaelpmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2018, 03:27 PM   #6
Slowgti08
Touring Car Champion

Drives: 2008 VW GTI
Hopefully the coils are the problem. However at 81k i would start looking at getting a carbon cleaning done.
Slowgti08 is offline   Reply With Quote