GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

porsche boxster caliper

candc8

Ready to race!
i was wondering since the crossovers are stuck on the calipers i have can i put the one that is supposed to go on the left on the right? that way i wouldn't have to change the crossovers with the bleeder nipples? any help would be great

swfloridamk6

Go Kart Champion
Lot more detail and clarity please.

Do you have the 17z caliper?

You want to mount the one that is labelled R on the left side of the car?

Why again?

MKV Aaron1

Ready to race!
on the porsche boxster calipers, you have to swap the cross over tubes to the bottom.

Have you tried penetrating oil?

Tooly

Drag Race Newbie
On the ones I got from the wrecker the crossover tubs where on there really tight. I let the threads soak in PB Blaster for an hour and that did the trick. I would loosen one side of the tube a bit, then the other and so on back and forth until it was off. You don't want to strip those threads, pain in the butt to fix.

Modshack1

Go Kart Champion
On the ones I got from the wrecker the crossover tubs where on there really tight. I let the threads soak in PB Blaster for an hour and that did the trick. I would loosen one side of the tube a bit, then the other and so on back and forth until it was off. You don't want to strip those threads, pain in the butt to fix.

Good deal...Yeah, you need to flip the crossovers/nipples to maintain the correct Piston stagger...

I've run them both ways and "Correct" is better..

candc8

Ready to race!
thanks that is what i was looking for. I didn't know since it was the boxster if the pistons were both the same or different. I will try changing the crossovers but i just don't want to mess them up. COuld i just do the bleeding and everything before i put the calipers on the way they are i know that the bleeder nipple would be facing down

Modshack1

Go Kart Champion
thanks that is what i was looking for. I didn't know since it was the boxster if the pistons were both the same or different. I will try changing the crossovers but i just don't want to mess them up. COuld i just do the bleeding and everything before i put the calipers on the way they are i know that the bleeder nipple would be facing down

NEVER install bleeders facing down. A good bubble of air will be trapped in the caliper. If you want to install them "Wrong" and not swap the Crosovers, just swap the calipers side to side. I admit, I did this first before I understood about the staggered pistons and the affect thy had on brake pad wear and clamping forces.. All fixed now, and he braking is better and easier to modulate with better feel when done correctly..

The reason you need to do this is because the Boxster calipers are mounted BEHIND the axle. On the GTi they mount to the front. YOu want the Big piston to be the leading one (when the rotor rotates) and the smaller one to be trailing

All my install pics are here: http://public.fotki.com/ttschwing/gti-20-2011-stuff/brembo-brakes/

Last edited:

swfloridamk6

Go Kart Champion
NEVER install bleeders facing down. A good bubble of air will be trapped in the caliper. If you want to install them "Wrong" and not swap the Crosovers, just swap the calipers side to side. I admit, I did this first before I understood about the staggered pistons and the affect thy had on brake pad wear and clamping forces.. All fixed now, and he braking is better and easier to modulate with better feel when done correctly..

The reason you need to do this is because the Boxster calipers are mounted BEHIND the axle. On the GTi they mount to the front. YOu want the Big piston to be the leading one (when the rotor rotates) and the smaller one to be trailing

All my install pics are here: http://public.fotki.com/ttschwing/gti-20-2011-stuff/brembo-brakes/

I know we have disagreed on this before, but it came up again last week for me. VW went ahead and did a warranty covered brake flush for me even though I have custom 4 wheel Brembo BBK. ( They are really nice at my dealer, lol). Anyhow, remember I have that custom kit for the rear from the MK5 forum, which uses Touareg rears. Anyhow, the tech asked about the rears with the bleeders pointed up. A bunch of the techs got involved, starting pulling various manuals etc.

In the end, it was agreed it is best to bleed them unmounted vs trying to swap everything. I am sure you think John Trans design is stupid etc. But, it is what is for me, and the lesser of two evils seems to be bleeding unmounted in my scenario.

tman1

Ready to race!

So which is it? Should the larger piston be the leading one opposite to direction of ration or not?

In the link you say that the larger piston will be the leading one if the swap is NOT done.

Also, what is the best place to get the mounting hardware for these or other boxster/cayenne/touareg calipers?

'ringmeister

Passed Driver's Ed
Hey Steve, looks like you have the performance diesel kit? how did you route the lines that come with the kit through the bracket on the strut? did you just zip tie it? I'v been looking for some kind of grommet.
thanks

inc55

Go Kart Champion
Hey Steve, looks like you have the performance diesel kit? how did you route the lines that come with the kit through the bracket on the strut? did you just zip tie it? I'v been looking for some kind of grommet.
thanks

I just left the lines alone. The wheels only move side to side so the lines should be fine. There aren't any moving parts to touch them.

candc8

Ready to race!
well just had the brakes done and the installer didn't change the crossovers he just changed the sides that the calipers went on. How bad is it that the calipers are on opposite sides? i mean how drastic would the braking be? All i know is that the brakes squeal a lot hope that goes away

carsfeverguy

Go Kart Champion
straight from Modshack's website

"On the Boxster, the calipers mount to the rear of the hub leaving the larger of the pistons as the trailing piston (the brembos have 2 sized pistons). If you do not swap the crossover tube and Bleed nipples to the opposite side of the caliper and then swap car sides, the larger piston will be the LEADING one when mounted in front of the axle. Simple fix. Racers say this could lead to a little pad taper. You'll also need to install some anti-squeal pads as the solid mounting leads to more noise with the Brembos.""

Basically this will lead to poor wear pattern of your pads as well as braking clamping force that is not as effective, diminushing the benefits of this great setup :)

Get it redone.