GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Induktion Motorsports I flow for TDI

85RedGolf2.5

Go Kart Champion
Any Numbers? Or is this just a fancy way to say, "Hey listen to my Diesel Turbo SQUEAL and HISS!"

Don't mean to sound rude, but for 200 bucks, it better give me at least 20 HP and 30 TQ... 300 bucks more and I can have a Malone State 1.5 Tune and it'll bump the hp up about 50 and the Torque up about 105.

Looks purty though...

The Gas Cars make some decent numbers with intakes, but Diesels don't really since the Throttle Body is non existant and the power is controlled by fueling and turbo boost.

Now if you can design and Turbo to Intercooler to Intake Manifold set up that could smooth out airflow, we might see some gains if it is coupled with this intake.

Last edited:

AJ@4induktion

Any Numbers? Or is this just a fancy way to say, "Hey listen to my Diesel Turbo SQUEAL and HISS!"

Don't mean to sound rude, but for 200 bucks, it better give me at least 20 HP and 30 TQ... 300 bucks more and I can have a Malone State 1.5 Tune and it'll bump the hp up about 50 and the Torque up about 65.

Looks purty though...

The Gas Cars make some decent numbers with intakes, but Diesels don't really since the Throttle Body is non existant and the power is controlled by fueling and turbo boost.

Now if you can design and Turbo to Intercooler to Intake Manifold set up that could smooth out airflow, we might see some gains if it is coupled with this intake.

Awesome question. So far we have seen increased MAF numbers with the intake. Of course there are a lot of factors that can contribute to that. We are going to be putting the car on the dyno and getting pulls stock vs with the intake. I can't see making 50hp but a couple would be nice. A tune is always hard to compete with being it is the most bang for your buck you can buy. This was designed for the enthusiast that wants an intake and doesn't mind spending the 200. We all know the TDI is not well known for the performance upgrades as much as the GTI's/GLI's. All gains will be reported and I will post them up here as soon as we get the dyno chart. :happyanim:

jade eyed wolf

Ready to race!
I'm interested in some commentary on a few of the posts over on this thread in the TDIClub forum: http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=290373

In particular, there are a couple of statements which seem to make sense to me, and have thus far stayed my impulse to invest in an after-market intake system (pending further investigation), which I would like some feedback on.

I'm paraphrasing here, but these are two key points which stick out to me:

The OEM filter seems to do a better job of removing particulate matter from the intake than most non-paper hi-flow filters.
This seems to make sense to me for obvious reasons: paper filters usually consist of more densely packed fibres, which corresponds to an increased ability to filter out more and smaller particulate matter from the intake. Obviously, more densely packed fibres means more restricted airflow, which is the normal compromise one has to balance with any air filtration system, but this brings me to the next point:

The OEM filter, in the case of the TDI anyway, is NOT a performance bottle-neck due to its enormous surface area.
Again, this seems to make sense to me. Anyone who has seen how big the OEM air filter on the 2.0 TDI is, knows it's massive, especially compared to the OEM filters of similarly sized/powered motors. The bigger the filter, the more air it can flow. From what I've read/heard, it doesn't really sound like the average person is going to get close to running into airflow restriction issues on the intake, especially if they still have a with a stock turbo. That said, I can understand why some folks might forgo the OEM air box for space savings reasons.

My only other concern, and this has nothing to do with the other thread, is that it seems like you've got the intake configured such that it's essentially pulling in air from inside the engine bay as opposed to fresh outside air, like in the OEM configuration. Can you please explain this? I may be wrong here, but my current understanding leads me to believe that air from inside the engine bay is not only warmer than ambient air, but also at speed it's at a lower pressure than the air you'd get from outside. Lower pressures and higher temperatures usually corresponds to decreased air density, and therefore more work for the intercooler. Wouldn't you want to stick to a similar-to-OEM design which pulls outside air instead so that you can improve the charge density?

I appreciate the feedback in advance! Thank you! :)

Last edited:

topdawgx99

Passed Driver's Ed

Don't mean to sound rude, but for 200 bucks, it better give me at least 20 HP and 30 TQ... 300 bucks more and I can have a Malone State 1.5 Tune and it'll bump the hp up about 50 and the Torque up about 65.

Looks purty though...

i think you got your numbers wrong. malone stage 2 will get you about 155whp (about 20-25 whp up from stock) and 280tq (about 40 up from stock). how do i know? because i have malone stage 1.5.

and second, an intake will not enhance performance for the tdi. the stock intake handles ~400hp. intake is not restricting hp. people buy intakes for TDi for the sound and aesthetics.

AJ@4induktion

I will have to read up on the thread over in the TDIclub some more over the weekend but to be clear we do not use wet(oiled) filter elements for they are prone to foul out MAF sensors. The air filters we use are AEM Dry filters. But to answer your question about the warm air. If you enlarge the picture you will see there is a rubber seal on the left hand side of the air box. That is to seal from the engine bay. On our TSI's that we have already in mass production we saw a drop in IAT's with the intake and of course more power. The piece of the airbox that is in the grill still will feed air into the intake. As we start moving forward I will keep all these questions in my head to give better and accurate information of not only why it works but how.

Last edited:

85RedGolf2.5

Go Kart Champion
i think you got your numbers wrong. malone stage 2 will get you about 155whp (about 20-25 whp up from stock) and 280tq (about 40 up from stock). how do i know? because i have malone stage 1.5.

and second, an intake will not enhance performance for the tdi. the stock intake handles ~400hp. intake is not restricting hp. people buy intakes for TDi for the sound and aesthetics.

Taken from Malone Website for Stage 1.5, almost a 50 HP increase and a 103 TQ increase

Stage 1.5

158whp (179bhp) / 290lb-ft (328lb-ft crank) Son, You Got jipped...

This is the Stage 1

153whp (173bhp) / 287lb-ft (324lb-ft crank)

And Stock

133hp/225lb-ft

topdawgx99

Passed Driver's Ed
Taken from Malone Website for Stage 1.5, almost a 50 HP increase and a 103 TQ increase

Stage 1.5

158whp (179bhp) / 290lb-ft (328lb-ft crank) Son, You Got jipped...

This is the Stage 1

153whp (173bhp) / 287lb-ft (324lb-ft crank)

And Stock

133hp/225lb-ft

Numbers are similar to what I said. I've been stage 1.5 and stage 2 without dpf, and stage 2 is about 305tq. Whether you have 280tq or 290tq, doesn't make a difference. Getting rid of dpf is what will make a difference.

I was on the money when I said 25whp increase.

85RedGolf2.5

Go Kart Champion
Numbers are similar to what I said. I've been stage 1.5 and stage 2 without dpf, and stage 2 is about 305tq. Whether you have 280tq or 290tq, doesn't make a difference. Getting rid of dpf is what will make a difference.

I was on the money when I said 25whp increase.

it is the TORQUE that moves a car, HP Has nothing to do with the forward momentum until you are already moving and running High RPM... That is why any Toyota/Honda/Nissan that has Higher HP than TQ numbers is always slower than any other maker's engine that has the same displacement, little less HP, but MORE Torque... 25 Wheel hp is a decent increase, but 103 Torque is where it is at, and you said it was a Lot Less...

engineered2win

Ready to race!
I would give this intake a whirl for $200. I've been scheming of building an intake similar to the vaporware Forge Motorsports TDI intake, but that's a lot of labor which can be better spent elsewhere. I like the AEM dry flow filter, which has far superior filtration to the K&N and that it still utilizes the upper grille air intake.