GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Electrical/AC Problem

nonnac

I bought a 2011 GTI in 2013 with only 10k miles on it. After Tuning with APR stage 1 and buying the Carbon Intake I had a boost leak in the turbo (Dealer made me get a new ECM in order to cover it under warranty. $$) After that I had and issue with Manifold on now stock ecm. Then alternator. At that point I had ran out of VW warranty and CarMax warranty kicked in. They replaced my Alt (dont know if it is OEM, or VW original) and everything was fine. I got chipped again 3 weeks after the alt went out and smooth sailing.

Then Nor Cal heat hit, my AC started to go from cold to hot and after turning the car off and on again it would be cold for another 30 miles.) Took it into VW and they said that the AC coolant was low. Charged me 130 for a recharge. But still had the problem. Took it to CarMax and they said I had a bad compressor and a leak in the compressor and replaced it under warranty.

Now still happens.

After getting the car each time I would take the APR Lockout off and put it back in stage 1. Never thinking it was the chip making my AC to stop blowing cold air.

Today as i was driving in the 105 degree weather it stopped working 6 times. On the last time I lifted the hood and looked at the fuses (again) and where the battery connects to the fuse box under the hood the plastic was melting and the plastic was putting out a little bit of smoke.

I then let the car cool a little and put it back to stock mode then started to drive home. The whole time the AC worked perfectly (45 mile drive over an hour and 15 minutes in 106 degrees) When I pulled into the driveway I lifted the hood and the plastic was not hot (enough to melt) and no smoke.

I then started thinking that the AC + Extra Voltage to the Turbo might be the problem.

So after the long explanation the questions for the people of the internet:
Does Stage 1 use lots of power vs Stock?
Should I not be in stage 1 on a hot day running my AC as low as it can go?
Is there anyway to fix this?

I hope someone might have an answer. I thank you for taking the time to look at this post. Thanks!

P_m651

Ready to race!
Not normal. Go ask your APR dealer to see what is wrong. I think your tune predates the OBD2 port tune, and perhaps the tune damaged your ECU (which required removal and physically modifying the ECU).

lilonespaz

Drag Race Newbie
plus if you have a carmax warranty stop taking your shit to VW and paying them money just to go to carmax and get it fixed for free.
Also if you think its tune related or fro ma improper install talk to the shop that installed it.

nonnac

Not normal. Go ask your APR dealer to see what is wrong. I think your tune predates the OBD2 port tune, and perhaps the tune damaged your ECU (which required removal and physically modifying the ECU).

After my new install I waited a year to tune it again. 4/2015 is when I tuned it again. It was the flash tune (not the crack open and mess up your ecm version)

Going to contact the APR dealer about it.