GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

New Civic Hatchback

TiCoyote

Ready to race!
Okay, hear me out. Not the SI or the R. Just the new Civic Hatcback (sport, or sport touring).

I owned 2 Civics over the course of 12 years. They were both...fine. Not like, FOINE! Like, you know, just fine.

They got great gas mileage. Got me where I needed to go. They were super reliable. They rarely needed maintenance, and when they did, it was cheap.

My GTI has had an electrical problem, a bad fuel pump, a bad fuel injector, and a failed manifold arm. Granted most of this was covered by extended warranty, so it's not really a money issue, it's the problem of getting stranded and/or needing to rearrange my schedule to drop off and pick up the car at the dealership.

So I'm looking at the new Civic Hatchback. It's got a little more cargo space. It's a little more fuel efficient, and you can run it with regular unleaded with a minimal loss in HP, plus it's a Honda, so it's got that reliability. Car and Driver also really liked the driving dynamics.

Downside: slower, less torque, and it doesn't have that solid VW feel.

Is it worth the tradeoff?

riceburner

Autocross Champion
Depends what you're looking for honestly? If you can REALLY see yourself living without a sports car, go for it. I know for sure I can't do that. I need something I can have fun in. Sometimes wish i didn't need a sportscar so bad, so I could save some serious dough. More power to you (just not under the hood lol) if you make the switch. New civic seems nice for what its worth. Looks pretty sharp from the back at least.

Norvix

I worked at a Honda dealership for a few months and spent alot of time around the civic hb sport and the type r, both of which had a horrible build quality imo ex: rattling door handles/locks, thin paint, window seal issues and the list goes on and on.

I was between buying the HB sport and my mk6 a few months ago and decided on the GTI even with my employee discount at Honda which would of brought me from 30k down to 24k CAD otd.

CHerna

Ready to race!
Many people say the new Civic SI with the 1.5t is mild at best. Even modded. If that is mild, a regular old civ' is going go bore you relative to a GTI.

avni

Ready to race!
GTI ALL DAY

CIVIC SIs look decent.

BUT GTI ALL DAY

INTAKE
DOWNPIPE
STAGE 2 TUNE
LED TAILS

and you have yourself a BEAST for years to come

TiCoyote

Ready to race!
Mine is a 2012 with 80k miles. I bought it CPO in 2014 and paid it off in the fall. I'd like to keep it for another 3 years, which would take us to the fall of 2020. If it lasts, I'll either buy another GTI, or I'll buy an A4. My biggest qualm about the A4 is the lack of a hatch.

If I run into a major mechanical problem, I'll probably look elsewhere. Maybe the Mazda3.

avni

Ready to race!
Why cant AUDI bring the A3/A4 avants

not no bullshit ALLROAD

WE WANT MOAR WAGONS

CHerna

Ready to race!
Why cant AUDI bring the A3/A4 avants

not no bullshit ALLROAD

WE WANT MOAR WAGONS

We do, majority of people don't. They don't sell as well here in the US. They do sell the A3 as a hatch in the e-tron trim. A3 hatch may cannibalize Golf/GTI sales.

OP, the A5/S5 is offered as sport-back with a hatch. Consider that.

Allchokedup

Autocross Champion
I have owned a few hondas had a 92 civi hatch before my gti. I gave it to a kid in need of a car, if i knew i was going to have to do so much maintence i would have kept it and motor swap with turbo. I like my gti, but my last dub was a 64 notch turbo. Gti is shit compared to it imo.
The civic si is a turd,i ran my friends when i was stage 1. I think a stock gti would eat the new si..

MK6gti12

Many people say the new Civic SI with the 1.5t is mild at best. Even modded. If that is mild, a regular old civ' is going go bore you relative to a GTI.

Full bolt ons and mid 20's psi and they are only getting 230whp. The civic type R feels slow compared to my stage 2+ GTI. Lets jsut say my work involves driving hondas so I would know.

riceburner

Autocross Champion
oh wow that's funny!

My GF actually is leasing a civic sport hatchback now - super sharp car for a boring regular car is wolves clothing. Only has ~2000 miles of course, but at least brand new so far it feels so nice to drive! Handles OK, again for a dressed up commuter car on 235/40/18's

170-180 horsepower never felt so slow though. I can't see the tiny little engine being responsive to upgrades either.

Disanto7389

Passed Driver's Ed
Personally I couldn't go to something slower. As is I'm itching to do more to this car lol. For what it's worth though it's probably half the price to maintain, and more reliable.