GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Passing inspection with APR ko4 tune?!

nygti3491

Ready to race!
I live in ny and tried getting my first inspection since going ko4 and it failed. I was previously giac stage 2 and never had an issue. It failed for readiness. I’m currently cat-less and have ccta engine. I have read that I have to flash back to stock and add a j spacer in one of the 2 o2 sensors and maybe change the map sensors but not sure if thats true. If someone can tell me on how they passed and can tell me that would be awesome. Thanks!

BudgetPhoenix

Autocross Champion
Flashing back to stock and putting on o2 spacers should work but thats if you can actually get them to work. My self and many others had issues with o2 spacers causing other lean or rich codes depending on spacing. In California theres a visual component to smog so pretty much everyone just throws on the stock downpipe and flashes to stage 1 or stock, should be fine to do with a k04 too if its just on for smog and you dont beat on it.

Last edited:

nygti3491

Ready to race!
Thanks for your feedback! I currently don’t have a stock downpipe so I’m going to try the spacer and the stock tune. Then if that doesn’t work I’m going to have to get a stock dp by the end of the month.

zrickety

The Fixer
I believe NY will fail you for not having the catalytic converter. APR can help you with readiness, but you will physically need the cat to be there.
Have a high flow cat installed on your current downpipe, have your tune fixed, you will probably pass.

leiito1

Go Kart Champion
If you have VCDS you can set readiness under engine basic settings right before taking it in.

OhioMK6

Ready to race!
Flashing back to stock and putting on o2 spacers should work but thats if you can actually get them to work. My self and many others had issues with o2 spacers causing other lean or rich codes depending on spacing. In California theres a visual component to smog so pretty much everyone just throws on the stock downpipe and flashes to stage 1 or stock, should be fine to do with a k04 too if its just on for smog and you dont beat on it.

On a CCTA car, wouldn't the second O2 sensor not effect AFR (thus not throwing rich/lean codes.) . I thought only the first sensor uses wideband to determine AFR.

BudgetPhoenix

Autocross Champion
On a CCTA car, wouldn't the second O2 sensor not effect AFR (thus not throwing rich/lean codes.) . I thought only the first sensor uses wideband to determine AFR.

Yes the first o2 sensor is the wideband sensor but there's still a plethora of codes that can be thrown with an improperly spaced rear sensor ive tested this out. Forgot which codes but spending on direction the spacer is facing or how far its extended I got it to throw various xxx rich or xxx lean codes. I forgot what the codes were but they don't affect drive ability at all but you'd still fail smog in California.

nygti3491

Ready to race!
I believe NY will fail you for not having the catalytic converter. APR can help you with readiness, but you will physically need the cat to be there.
Have a high flow cat installed on your current downpipe, have your tune fixed, you will probably pass.

Okay I’ll got to give them a call anyway. The place I got my car tuned never told me which programs in the order? I’ll ask them if about the readiness.

ebuuz

Go Kart Newbie
Switch to stock APR k04 map, run vibrant spacer on rear (comes with 3 different hole sizes, I believe the middle one worked for me). Clear all codes. Drive and stay out of boost until readiness clears (check with vagcom). Then scan.

If you drive too hard the rear 02 sensor will sense the extra flow and throw CEL.

This is what worked for me. Good luck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mkv_martinez

Go Kart Champion
Switch to stock APR k04 map, run vibrant spacer on rear (comes with 3 different hole sizes, I believe the middle one worked for me). Clear all codes. Drive and stay out of boost until readiness clears (check with vagcom). Then scan.

If you drive too hard the rear 02 sensor will sense the extra flow and throw CEL.

I have a much different set up, but if it wasn't for me focusing on trying to stay out of boost I'd still not have my inspection sticker.

I cleared all codes 6-8 times and tried two different spacers but nothing worked until I just drove like a legitimate grandmother for a few days until I got readiness on all the checks.

flight1us

Ready to race!
I was curious myself on this topic, i recently attempted to get an inspection in NY and failed due to Underboost code and readiness failure.

From what i've gathered i'd have to drive slower than Dial up in order to be " Ready "

nygti3491

Ready to race!

So this is exactly what I did and it worked like a charm for me. Had to drive about 75-100 miles to get the readiness to pass. Thanks everyone for there input!