GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

ALLSET'S SHOP REVIEW: KMD TUNING -SADDLE BROOK, NJ-CARBON CLEANING & TENSIONER SWAP

McQueen77

Banned
Fuel shouldn't matter the problem with DI and carbon build up is because the fuel doesn't flow through the intake ports and valves so the detergent in fuel doesn't clean them

yeah its pretty contradictory when people say to make sure and use top tier fuel when the detergents never touch the valves. the fuel should have nothing to do with it.

Zillon

Go Kart Champion
yeah its pretty contradictory when people say to make sure and use top tier fuel when the detergents never touch the valves. the fuel should have nothing to do with it.

Fuel does have an effect on injector and combustion chamber buildup, though.

McQueen77

Banned

true, which is why i pay the few cents extra for TT fuel but the main problem seems to lie in carbon buildup on the valves

allset

Go Kart Champion
nice thanks man. so this is basically a way deeper process than what VW claims to do which is a BG44k or equivalent process. so it was $700 for a 2 step process? they run the solvent through a vacuum port, gas tank etc. and then you come back and they do the manual cleaning? at first glance its like "shit, $700 is steep!" but then when you think about it, its really not bad if you can 'even out' the impact of the 60k maintenance cost by some DIY. for example, oil change, spark plugs, fuel filter, etc. can all be done for relatively cheap at home, yourself. so saving money that way can make the $700 sting a little less. honestly though, for those of us who plan on keeping the car a while, it sounds like this is essential.

ill be interested to see which shops in so cal offer this service, do a legit job of it and do it on a regular basis. your valves were worked dude! wow, night and day difference. im sure the car drives like new now, and with k04 etc. it must pull so hard.

yeah, i was going to say, you would think that plugs would have to be replaced after this whole ordeal. the part that the VW Dealer doesnt mention about this solvent treatment they do is replacing plugs, or changing oil afterwards or anything. i even asked about that and they said 'no its fine'. ITS FINE? how could it be fine after you are running and pushing all that shit through your system? seems like, even if all that were done is a solvent treatment, youd need to change oil and plugs afterwards no? after seeing this too, I am skeptical as to how much something like BG44k or similar can really do vs. that PLUS the elbow grease scraping factor. if you have carbon buildup, hardened and caked on after 60k miles of service, how is some solvent going to just melt all that away? I bet that it takes a superficial layer off but if you pulled the intake manifold and looked at the valves after just the solution, i doubt it would be nearly as clean as your's are. seems like it makes more sense just to bite the bullet at 60k and do this.

i had that vw fuel service at 40,000 and its basically the process kmd did first. vw leads u to belive it cleans the valves, and it may b/c they spray solvent into the tb/intake but its not going to get rid of heavy build up and is certainly no replacement for a teardown cleaning. like u said the vw one it seems to be superfical cleaning.

the plugs were my call to add, i figured it made sense, the FI seals need to be replaced b/c i think they are one time use.

the oil had to be changed due to the additive added the week prior. That was in addition to the cleaning.

for the return of power i got i would have paid twice the amount. this is require maintenance after 60,000 miles for DI engines IMO

allset

Go Kart Champion

that it does. it will be interesting to see the MK7 with rumored multi port injection

McQueen77

Banned
so basically the treatment VW does is no different than me removing my IAT sensor, inserting a brake line and inflation needle and sucking up some sea foam or BG44k myself and letting the engine idle, like i've done before.. maybe I'll do that myself again at 40k but yeah, sounds like the $700 elbow grease special will be in order at 60k miles..

allset

Go Kart Champion
so basically the treatment VW does is no different than me removing my IAT sensor, inserting a brake line and inflation needle and sucking up some sea foam or BG44k myself and letting the engine idle, like i've done before.. maybe I'll do that myself again at 40k but yeah, sounds like the $700 elbow grease special will be in order at 60k miles..

Honestly, prob no difference although i not sure how similar seafoam s to wat vw uses, if u put a can in the oil, gas and a good amount into the TB while drawing in air at 3000-4000 rpm im sure its similar.

In vw defense, their process prob works on stock tunes at 40k b/c it has inherently built less carbon than a car tuned to 1,2 or ko4 due to less fuel being burned i would think.

That process kinda makes me nervous b/c if there is heavy build up it could loosen a chunk of carbon of the valves. Whether or not that could cause a problem is debatable.

Zillon

Go Kart Champion
I feel that running a solvent through the intake might help as preventative maintenance if done at every oil change. While you might still get some buildup, it might help keep the big 'chunks' from forming in the first place.

However, we really don't have proof of this.

allset

Go Kart Champion
I feel that running a solvent through the intake might help as preventative maintenance if done at every oil change. While you might still get some buildup, it might help keep the big 'chunks' from forming in the first place.

However, we really don't have proof of this.

i agree. if done regularly in theory it should remove thinner build up thus preventing what my valves looked like.

allset

Go Kart Champion
The build up is from oil vapor mostly not fuel

its a combo, incomplete combustion. There are different types... ive seen dark black oily buildup and powdery soot looking buildiup.

Alot depend s on how u run. i had fueling issues my first 28,000 that made me run very rich.

allset

Go Kart Champion
Seafoaming is not bad for your car at all?

depends who u ask. some say yes some no. ive never seen definitive data either way on if its bad or very effective. IMO it was much more effective back in the day when it was widely used on NA engines with carburetors

jaydubz

FIA World Rally Car Newbie
does the dealer have a similar service at 60,000?

allset

Go Kart Champion
does the dealer have a similar service at 60,000?

dealer has no service that involves a tear down for carbon cleaning. AFAIK

they have a 3 step fuel system service which involves solvent into the TB but its effectiveness for valve cleaning is negligible, IMO.

would u want to pay 115-125/hr dealer labor fees for a tear down carbon cleaning anyway?