GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

How to resync VW Key fob MK6

jaydubz

FIA World Rally Car Newbie
Thought it might be a good idea to post this. I thought it might have a bad battery, but turns out in some cases just hitting the open button too much can cause it to un-sync.

I called the VW dealership to see if they could offer any help. They suggested a new battery (CR2032) for $6, which I bought from target 2 for $6. When I switched out the battery and it still did not work I asked if they knew of another way. I was informed that I would need to bring in the car and get the key reprogrammed at the tune of $60.

Jumped online and found this video, worked like a charm!

FlyByGti1

Go Kart Champion
will this work on a brand new key?? I had to have my dealer send me one since I never got a spare first buying the car. I don't want to spend the money if I don't have to.

zippy88

Passed Driver's Ed
The unsyncing happens if you press the buttons on the key too many times and the car is not in range to pick up the signal.

The key fob sends out a unique code each time you press the button. It would appear almost random to anyone monitoring it, but there is an algorithm coded into the fob.

The car has the same algorithm and will store the next 256 signals/codes it can expect to receive from the fob. The number of signals might vary between manufacturers so the 256 number might not be exact. Once it receives a correct signal, it will recalculate the next 256 signals based off of what it received last.

This creates a very secure system where repeating a signal previously sent from a fob will not work on the car.

The way to break this system however is to run through the next 256 codes on the key fob when you are out of range of the car.

nvturbo

Go Kart Champion
Nice! I had to leave my car at the dealer for 3 hours for this?!?!?!

Isn't that the norm? They leave it in an empty bay for 2hrs and 50 minutes and then reprograms it when they remember that your car is just sitting there. :thumbdown:

xtant3150

Ready to race!
I have yet to find a key slot to use the actual key on the doors of my MK6. So unless it's hidden somewhere, this won't work on the MK6 GTI (at least the one with the convenience/sunroof package), as I can't lock/unlock the car with the key... Or am I missing something?

FlyByGti1

Go Kart Champion
I have yet to find a key slot to use the actual key on the doors of my MK6. So unless it's hidden somewhere, this won't work on the MK6 GTI (at least the one with the convenience/sunroof package), as I can't lock/unlock the car with the key... Or am I missing something?

If you look by the part of the door handle closest to the back of the car, there is actually a very small plastic cover. If you pop that off the hole for the key entry is right there. I tried to find a video (there used to be one on youtube). I'll add it if I can find it.

lilfleck

Go Kart Champion
If you look by the part of the door handle closest to the back of the car, there is actually a very small plastic cover. If you pop that off the hole for the key entry is right there. I tried to find a video (there used to be one on youtube). I'll add it if I can find it.

Is that necessary to do this? I don't want to pop it off :(

jaydubz

Surprisingly there was very little info about resyncing the key. I think I might make a small video detailing how to do this as well as removing the key cover.

FlyByGti1

Go Kart Champion
Here is the video. It is for a Tiguan but the same process will work for the GTI

jaydubz

i would also like to know how this works with kessy?

Doesnt the kessy still have a hard key? Since its a push button serving the purpose of the on position maybe there is a format to follow to program the non-working key... :iono:

nafljhy

Go Kart Champion
Doesnt the kessy still have a hard key? Since its a push button serving the purpose of the on position maybe there is a format to follow to program the non-working key... :iono:

i just went through that video again. i guess you would use a working old key and turn it on to accessory as if one had a regular key and put into acc mode.

then use the hard in the new one to do the same thing in the key slot in the door handle.

i'll give it a try when it happens to one of my keys.