GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Any MK6 GTI issues?

chucktaylor0109

Ready to race!
hey i got 8k and the only problem ive had was the tpms, cel went off (i installed the carbonio intake and didnt tighten it enough and it fell off the from the stage II connection to the MAF) It went off by itself. other then my horrible mpg issue that i seem to be the only problem with, I LOVE THIS CAR! I dont NOT regret buying it at all

xerodustrial

I have about 4k miles on my GTI, and so far I've had zero issues.

At one point my passenger side window wouldn't roll back up all the way automatically (it was triggering the pinch sensor), but it's working fine now.

I also occasionally hear some rattles or other associated noises, but they're intermittent, very quiet, and apparently quite normal, so I ignore them (trust me, they're easy to ignore when your last car made consistent rattles and noises all the time at any speed). They generally seem to go away within a few minutes of driving anyways.

GolfGTIGirl

Ready to race!
Can somebody elaborate on the concern with changing the oil too early? Will it lead to premature oil consumption because the engine is still breaking in?

In the manual and service tech sheet, it indicates to have the oil changed at 15,000 kms (9,200 miles). I wanted to change it at 7,500 kms. I only have 260 kms on the car now, is it recommended that I go the full 15,000 kms before changing. (Sounds scary as hell)

No issues with the vehicle whatsoever, build date 05/2010

Cackalacka

Ready to race!
Can somebody elaborate on the concern with changing the oil too early? Will it lead to premature oil consumption because the engine is still breaking in?

The oil Wolfsburg puts in as the cars roll of the lot is a special chemistry designed to help the car break itself in. Swap the oil out prematurely, and apparently you are wasting your money and potentially not letting the first lube do it's thing.

Chris_HR

Had my GTI for 1 week now about 400 miles and hear a slight wind noise coming from the front passenger side area. It's not a big deal, I figure I will have VW look at it during my first 3 month check up.

HandGrenade6

Passed Driver's Ed
Had My GTI for 3 days now 280 miles. Driving down the road today in the far left lane so the curb was next to me with my window down. Noticed a slight fluttering sound under heavy boost. Sounds similar to when i ruptured my APR R1 diverter valve on me 20th ae but i know that they changed up the diverter valve setup on the MK6's. I guess now its integrated with wastegate...anyone having this as well...BTW this is my first post on the forum lol

parat75

no problems in my eyes.. 5500 miles. doors squeak, who cares, lube them up every few weeks. rear wiper dripped maybe 3 times total, who cares. this isnt a show car. TPMS goes off every few weeks? ITS SUPPOSED TO! Fill your tires back to the pressure listed on your door and it goes off immediately.

no other issues i can think of.

oh ya.. sometimes my brake pedal gets like a rock overnight and i cant press it far enough to trigger the switch to allow me to start the car.

one time i saw "ESP error" on startup and it went away instantly.

TPMS light is SUPPOSED to go off? Let's be clear...is it actually telling you to check your pressures, or is it a light that flashes for a minute, then stays lit while your driving...two totally different things.

brassmonkey

I have had a few problems. 2010 GTI with 9500 miles.

1.) Rear washer leaking (Fixed)
2.) IPod cable was defective. (Fixed)
3.) Manual Transmission problem (Currently in shop). I was having problems shifting from 2nd to 3rd at 2.5 to 3K revs. Could not get it into gear, I had to really force it in.

Veinzer

2011 GTI 3 Door, a little over 5000km

My right fog light has stopped working some reason

YUL-MK6

Passed Driver's Ed
I've been using this car as my daily driver since May.

I've noticed the car refusing going into gear more and more often. It is more likely to happen with the car is cold but still pops out of a gear sometimes after being completely warmed up. Shifting was really 'notchy' as some others have stated.

Also I notcied some wind noise when driving on the highway from the passenger side door (This is a 2-door model).

Brought the car in to have the winter tires put on and told them about my issues.

Turns out the linkage under the shifter was loose and that Both of my doors had severe wind noise according to the mechanic. I thought it was just road noise from tires and such all this time. My ears tuned it out immediately coming from a noisy little Toyota Yaris.

Drove her home and what a difference! She shifts almost as smooth as a friend's GTI I drove a couple weeks back and the interior is so quiet now at speed! I am very happy with my dealership.

johnny_p

Go Kart Champion
Little update on mine:

10,000 miles

Issues so far:
-Defective iPod cable (replaced under warranty)
-Wind noise from driver's door (repaired under warranty)
-Rear washer leak (repaired under warranty)
-A relay by the clutch clicks if it overheats... hasn't been repaired.
-A good amount of squeaks and rattles, but not really a big deal.
-Monster Mat fell apart, wore a hole through (replaced under warranty)
-Sometimes needs a few tries to get into reverse (6 MT, haven't taken it in for this yet)

Fuel mileage:
~29 MPG for life of car
~24 MPG for city driving
~35 MPG highway

Out of pocket costs = $0.00!

I'm happy so far.

ElectricEye

Autocross Newbie
^ only after 10k!? Maybe ill keep the bimmer lol

Yeah, it's amazing what we'll put up with if we love a car.
The same issues on something we hate would produce a litany of "sucks," "piece of crap" "lemon" etc.

I leased a Rav4 & an Accord back to back (36 month leases for both) and never even needed to open the hood of either for anything but wiper fluid.
No other problems at all for either one.

I truelly don't understand how VW can't sort this stuff out...
The Mark VI is not even an all new version of the Mark V - what gives?

I'm going into a new GTI knowing all of the problems as well, so what does that say about me?
Guess I'd rather drive somethng I love with some problems than something that puts me to sleep yet has no problems.

Still, hoping some issues are tackled by the time I get mine.