GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Now that we know the R is coming, will you buy?

Since the Golf R announcement, have you thought about keeping the GTI?

• Yes (the GTI is just that good)

Votes: 28 23.1%
  • Yes (believe R price will be too high)

Votes: 32 26.4%
  • Maybe I'll keep the GTI (gotta drive an R to decide)

Votes: 35 28.9%
  • No way, I'm gettin the Golf R!

Votes: 26 21.5%

• Total voters

vdub10golf

Go Kart Champion
I'm considering it, although by the time my lease is up if the MK7 is out, depending how that looks I'd probably go with the MK7 GTI.

DaveTT

Passed Driver's Ed
Depends on what the $$$ is for a loaded R20, If it's close to 1 Series M, I'll get the BMW instead, either way, keeping the GTI for my son.

MrClean

Go Kart Champion
It's interesting to see the poll numbers (error votes aside).

A little more than half the current GTI owners plan to keep their car instead of buying the Golf R.

And most of those (by a small percentage) say it is because the R will cost too much.

Hmmm. So if the R price comes down a bit or the deals are out there, more than half of the current GTI owners will trade up to the R.

bobbymkvi

Passed Driver's Ed
No, good sir, I shall not. The GTI is for gentlemen traveling intelligently, while the R is for pirates. LOL!

Gunkata

Drag Race Newbie
It's interesting to see the poll numbers (error votes aside).

A little more than half the current GTI owners plan to keep their car instead of buying the Golf R.

And most of those (by a small percentage) say it is because the R will cost too much.

Hmmm. So if the R price comes down a bit or the deals are out there, more than half of the current GTI owners will trade up to the R.

Agreed. It's a shame, because if the R was available when I was looking for my 335 or the GTI, I would have bought it at the $35K-ish price. But now, after I bought an Autobahn GTI, trading in on an R in a year or so will be a big plunge with the depreciation/trade-in. I may wait it out for a used loaded one sometime in 2013 or 2014 perhaps at this rate. What a shame! :(:laugh:

Johnny

I'm Here for the Gangbang
not even thinking about the R because they are using the old FSI engine which uses a cam follower. Cam followers have been known to wear quickly on tuned FSI motors here in the US (although not in Europe). Go search Cam Follower failure FSI, and read up on this very peculiar design problem.

FSI's are fine. Cam follower's are such a minor expense in the grand scheme of things. $50 every 15k miles or so is nothing. I've replaced $100 in cam followers in 2.5 years, compared to the amount I've spent in oil changes and mods that's nothing. If you know what you're doing, it takes about 30 minutes to change.

On a side note, the only thing that would hold me back is that by the time the Golf R comes out, I will only be owe about $12k on my '08 GTI.

MrClean

Go Kart Champion
Agreed. It's a shame, because if the R was available when I was looking for my 335 or the GTI, I would have bought it at the $35K-ish price. But now, after I bought an Autobahn GTI, trading in on an R in a year or so will be a big plunge with the depreciation/trade-in.

Yep, same boat here.

I may wait it out for a used loaded one sometime in 2013 or 2014...

That's not a bad idea.

Gunkata

Drag Race Newbie
yeah, they should go down significantly and that should hopefully help lessen the blow on the trade-in. We'll see - I want to see how well it performs when it gets here and of course drive it.

All that said, if I go ahead with mods on the GTI and love the car even more than I do now, I don't know if it will be worth my while to "upgrade" to the R, since I'm considering APR, BBK, rear sway, light rims, better tires, intake, etc - I think those items will go a long way, so we'll see.

In the end, its just a shame it wasn't already here or if we would have known it was coming, I would have waited with my last car/purchase.

quarantine

Ready to race!
If I was in the market now for a car I'd wait to get the R. But now since I already got the GTI I have no plans on switching. The GTI is just as good in my book

xGaspy

Go Kart Champion
yeah, they should go down significantly and that should hopefully help lessen the blow on the trade-in. We'll see - I want to see how well it performs when it gets here and of course drive it.

All that said, if I go ahead with mods on the GTI and love the car even more than I do now, I don't know if it will be worth my while to "upgrade" to the R, since I'm considering APR, BBK, rear sway, light rims, better tires, intake, etc - I think those items will go a long way, so we'll see.

In the end, its just a shame it wasn't already here or if we would have known it was coming, I would have waited with my last car/purchase.

yep, this is exactly where i was at with it. but i've decided to start taking steps to mod my GTI, as nice as it would be to have AWD it's not really worth it to me at this point to worry about it and feel like my car isn't awesome already. with mods, tunes and time i'll be just fine, me thinks!

Gunkata

Drag Race Newbie
If I was in the market now for a car I'd wait to get the R. But now since I already got the GTI I have no plans on switching. The GTI is just as good in my book

Pretty much where I am, yes. :)

yep, this is exactly where i was at with it. but i've decided to start taking steps to mod my GTI, as nice as it would be to have AWD it's not really worth it to me at this point to worry about it and feel like my car isn't awesome already. with mods, tunes and time i'll be just fine, me thinks!

true that! I love AWD and most of my cars have had it, however, avoiding the weight penalty from it and enjoying the higher mpg has been nice too! handling is already quite awesome in the GTI :thumbsup: