GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Heads Up: Failing TSI Water Pumps

zrickety

The Fixer
If it's not leaking don't worry about it.

mg_90

Just DIYed the WP on my car, what was expected to be a two hour job became a four day turnaround.

I got the WP on my VW dealer, "DD" version with the metal impeller, as soon as I started the car after the install of the new pump it started to leak so bad that I lost all the coolant in a matter of seconds. Luckily when I removed it and brought to the dealer they warrantied it and gave me a brand new one which was ordered from Germany and took 2 days to arrive. With the new pump everything went smoothly and now the car is running leak-free, hope this one lasts more than 33k miles.

Changing the pump following some DIYs in this forum is quite easy, and you can ensure everything is clean before installing the new one, so I recommend everyone to do this by themselves.

nvturbo

Go Kart Champion
Changing the pump following some DIYs in this forum is quite easy, and you can ensure everything is clean before installing the new one, so I recommend everyone to do this by themselves.

speak the truth.... :thumbup:

Double's Dub

Ready to race!
After almost four years of ownership, my first water pump went out- only 26k miles on the clock :cry:

JT641

Banned
Damn looks like I've got another water pump failure. Looks like it just started to leak as the coolant level hasn't gone down I'll look at later to verify it. If it is then this will be my 3rd water pump. Damn VW you think they would get it straitened out by now. Thought I had it beat this one lasted over a year. :(:(:(:(:thumbdown::thumbdown::thumbdown:

Last edited:

blingdub

Go Kart Newbie
Mine didn't come up. Is the latest WP revision BG, My current one is a BB
the service campaign was only up for a couple hours...but then they retracted it. my VIN doesn't have anything come up anymore. my pump has a tiny leak (only during winter), so now i'm stuck between waiting or getting it fixed.

JT641

Banned
Turned out to be major condensation dripping off of the refrigerant line for the A/C in the same area as the water pump.

upon31

Passed Driver's Ed
Literally minutes after turning 35,000 on the clock, mine puked all over the parking garage floor at the office. Bringing it to the dealer when they open at 7am tomorrow morning.

No official recall yet?

zipsled

Ready to race!
No official recall yet?

You won't be seeing one, either. I have swapped emails with VofA, and they don't recognize there is a problem. All they will do is warranty them during the powertrain warranty period.
This is my only real beef with VW...I have 38K on the clock and one bad pump replaced at less than 20K. I don't trust the car on long road trips...and it's a damn shame. I'll probably be trading it in before the powertrain warranty expires.

aj_law

Go Kart Champion
Again, to reiterate my question from a few months ago.

Million dollar question: Has anyone had to replace the most recent revision (part number suffix "BG") of the water pump?

After having to dish out six beans for a water pump in June and who knows how much for a HPFP next week (anyone pay for one out of warranty?), I'm trying to anticipate future costs.

Starting to regret not getting the extended warranty. I'm still in the green, but that number is dropping quickly.

upon31

Passed Driver's Ed
Starting to regret not getting the extended warranty. I'm still in the green, but that number is dropping quickly.

Drivetrain warranty is 5 year/60,000 miles and it covers the water pump replacement, as I found this morning. At the very least, then we're not worrying about if and when a recall ever happens.

Still pretty crappy that something like this is so common yet not enough to consider a recall. I guess they figure that if it only happens on 50% of the cars with this pump, it costs them less to replace half of them than it does to recall all of them. It's not a safety issue, the accountants and lawyers hedge their bets and go with the less costly option.

steemax

Go Kart Champion
Again, to reiterate my question from a few months ago.

Million dollar question: Has anyone had to replace the most recent revision (part number suffix "BG") of the water pump?

After having to dish out six beans for a water pump in June and who knows how much for a HPFP next week (anyone pay for one out of warranty?), I'm trying to anticipate future costs.

Yes mine (BG) failed after 10k miles. Then again I was averaging a new pump every 10k