GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

The Official 4x4 Discussion Thread

[Old User]

Go Kart Champion
Sup guys,

I couldn't find a thread on this & figured it might be a fun topic. I've seen various SUV's in some build threads over the years and know that there have to be some four wheeling enthusiasts on the forum. If there is already a thread on this, mods please feel free to delete this one!

Anyway! I've been a Land Rover guy since I was a kid... And for the younger crowd, no, not the supercharged Range Rover your neighborhood soccer mom drives. I mean the real deal stuff;

I remember when my dad finally sold his 1990 Jeep Cherokee XJ with 98,000 miles, and bought a vienna green Land Rover Discovery II in 2003... I don't have any photos of it at the moment, will post if I find any. That was the last of the true "trucks" that LR brought here, as the crossover between the Defender and the Range Rover. 4.6 rover V8, solid axles front and rear, ladder chassis. We LOVED this rig, took it off roading so many times... the memories man. I could write a book.

Unfortunately, it started knocking around 70,000 miles (typical for that engine), the cam seals went bad and used to leak oil onto the headers, and the cylinder liners were starting to separate from the block (typical for this engine as well). In addition to a host of other little things (transfer case was leaking oil, endless random electronic gremlins...) Luckily it never got bad enough to strand us.

But this is where I got into the Rover and 4x4 scene as a kid. Am looking to buy a Defender 90 in the future as a project after I graduate, something like this maybe;

This thread is not limited to LR, just giving some background on my own taste! I look forward to buying a Defender and maybe doing a 300tdi or td5 swap, etc... would be an awesome project. What are you guys into? Pics and commentary are welcome.

dead_catz

Ready to race!
I am a land cruiser guy, the 100 series is like driving on a silent cloud with the capability of a tank that will run to 500k miles. I had a jeep tj on 35s but it would knock your fillings out the ride was so painful. I wouldn't mind picking up a 4 door JK at some point but the gti takes all my funds!

PandaGTI

Go Kart Champion
Here's my Trail Team FJ Cruiser. Just completed a southwest roadtrip with a route that took my wife and I from Orange County to a hipster japanese lantern festival outside of vegas, then out to phoenix, and ended with off-roading in Sedona then back home to Orange County.

If you notice I have a "hella flush" offset on the wheels with the use of 1.25 inch spidertrax spacers.

Here are pictures from the Broken Arrow trail in Sedona

I've been toying with the idea of replacing it either with a used G500 or G55 and doing the big off-road tires with Hutchinson wheels/ roof rack/ and lift and de blinging it.

Or maybe a newer 2015/ 2016 Lexus GX460 and doing the 3 inch lift, volk racing te37's wrapped with 33 inch all terrain tires, and a bajarack roof rack

Last edited:

[Old User]

Go Kart Champion
I am a land cruiser guy, the 100 series is like driving on a silent cloud with the capability of a tank that will run to 500k miles. I had a jeep tj on 35s but it would knock your fillings out the ride was so painful. I wouldn't mind picking up a 4 door JK at some point but the gti takes all my funds!

Nice! got any pics?

Here's my Trail Team FJ Cruiser. Just completed a southwest roadtrip with a route that took my wife and I from Orange County to a hipster japanese lantern festival outside of vegas, then out to phoenix, and ended with off-roading in Sedona then back home to Orange County.

If you notice I have a "hella flush" offset on the wheels with the use of 1.25 inch spidertrax spacers.

Here are pictures from the Broken Arrow trail in Sedona

I've been toying with the idea of replacing it either with a used G500 or G55 and doing the big off-road tires with Hutchinson wheels/ roof rack/ and lift and de blinging it.

Or maybe a newer 2015/ 2016 Lexus GX460 and doing the 3 inch lift, volk racing te37's wrapped with 33 inch all terrain tires, and a bajarack roof rack

FJ looks awesome - a couple came with our LR convoy on some trail in middle PA we went to years ago, myself in the Disco, because we needed some people with winches... it was so muddy!!! Lol.

The G-classes are cool but uber expensive to modify... that would be a badass trail toy for sure! The German military uses them, which is friggin awesome :D