GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

APR Presents the 2.0 TSI ECU Update (Version 2.0!)

nomorehonda

Passed Driver's Ed
I'm DSG and I get very similar first-gear problems. It feels like they tried to make the tune smoother by slowing the rate-of-change of throttle movement. However, this makes me give it more gas because it feels unresponsive, then when the ECU catches up, all of the sudden I have way more gas than I expected/needed, so you pull back, then the process repeats. It is there in 2nd gear too, but far more pronounced in 1st gear.

Many DSG people may not notice this if they keep it in D at slow speeds or take 2nd gear really soon, but in M mode I definitely concur with the throttle response.

Overall, the tune should attempt to meet what the accelerator pedal is asking for torque as soon as physically possible. It is up to the driver to control the pedal, and any additional delay/slewing the engine's response can lead to the oscillatory behavior.

In control theory, this ECU control strategy introduces a phase lag loop between the driver's input and the response of the car, which can be prone to oscillatory instability if the driver tries to act quickly. The driver high-gain input + ECU phase lag = oscillations.

The first gear issue was one of the biggest issues I had with the tune, we have a lot of roundabouts in my area and I felt the car was almost dangerous in them. To me it felt like a horribly slipping clutch off the line. I had the first gear issue equally in both D and M mode.

thatspsychotic

Ready to race!
Hard shifts have existed since release of v2.x. I have had each revision up to v2.3b. Shifting has improved a little each update. v2.3b actually was a step backwards in 4th through 6th part throttle shifts. In boost at all it slams into gear.

IIRC hard upshift shift issues have been more prevalent on cars with the TCU tune, so that may be contributing. People with stock TCU software seem to be having more issues on downshifting, with RPM overshoot and delayed clutch engagement.

gtboost

Drag Racing Champion
IIRC hard upshift shift issues have been more prevalent on cars with the TCU tune, so that may be contributing. People with stock TCU software seem to be having more issues on downshifting, with RPM overshoot and delayed clutch engagement.

which makes sense given the TCU tune shifts at or near torque peak. Stock TCU short shifts.

rpm overshooting was an issue and still is an issue up until v2.2b with or without TCU tune.

thatspsychotic

Ready to race!
which makes sense given the TCU tune shifts at or near torque peak. Stock TCU short shifts.

rpm overshooting was an issue and still is an issue up until v2.2b with or without TCU tune.

Has V2.3 made the overshooting better for you? That's my main complaint with 2.1, followed by the nerfed 5th and 6th gear torque.

gtboost

Drag Racing Champion
Has V2.3 made the overshooting better for you? That's my main complaint with 2.1, followed by the nerfed 5th and 6th gear torque.

Overshooting was corrected on v2.2b. I will occasionally get a laggy downshift but I don't do aggressive downshifts often so I haven't tried to repeat it.

GTIMKV20

APR Stage I
I agree 2.2b corrected the terrible overshooting of gears but it's still a little clunky at times after everything settled a few months after. I'm going to do a DSG reset in hopes it'll hold me over until 2.4f if it ever comes..

sbgti

Passed Driver's Ed
Does anyone know if you need to pay extra to have the ability to switch between tunes. Say I was stage 2 and wanted to flash to stock for emissions is the tune switching included or do you need to pay extra.

Dr Dad

Drag Race Newbie
Does anyone know if you need to pay extra to have the ability to switch between tunes. Say I was stage 2 and wanted to flash to stock for emissions is the tune switching included or do you need to pay extra.

If you didn't pay for multiple files then yes, you do need to pay.
If you did pay for multiple files then no, you can change it following the pamphlet they gave you with the tune.

imhongry

I have all of these same problems, im running a stage 2 tune with no lift shift. I didn't have any of these problems on version 2.0, when i re flashed to version 2.1 all of these problems came up.

Thanks! That's good info to have. At least I won't have to play the guessing game when it comes time to re-tune. Looks like I'll be waiting it out until v2.2 or whatever.

Dans GTI

Ready to race!
Thanks! That's good info to have. At least I won't have to play the guessing game when it comes time to re-tune. Looks like I'll be waiting it out until v2.2 or whatever.

It's also reassuring to know that other people have the same problems (unfortunately). Its so frustrating that APR will not acknowledge or do anything about it. What a joke. My car literally bogs back and forth until it warms up. Absolutely ridiculous.

ExcelonGT

Passed Driver's Ed
It's also reassuring to know that other people have the same problems (unfortunately). Its so frustrating that APR will not acknowledge or do anything about it. What a joke. My car literally bogs back and forth until it warms up. Absolutely ridiculous.

They acknowledge and give a detailed update if you call them

I was just as frustrated as everyone else. But after speaking with them on several occasions, I have more of an appreciation for what is going on on their end.

xd-data-ii

Go Kart Champion
Read the posts in the last couple of pages. The info is there.
They are in the process converting it for all boxcodes and variations. I'd expect it in a couple/few weeks.

JohnoBurr

Ready to race!
I couldn't wait any longer, the pulsing throttle has been driving me insane for the last 7 or so months. I flashed Cobb's OTS stage 2 file in the meantime until I get my protune and I'm amazed at how smooth it is in comparison. It's so goddamn nice having a properly functioning throttle, and it doesn't feel like it's destroying my engine.

sbgti

Passed Driver's Ed
I couldn't wait any longer, the pulsing throttle has been driving me insane for the last 7 or so months. I flashed Cobb's OTS stage 2 file in the meantime until I get my protune and I'm amazed at how smooth it is in comparison. It's so goddamn nice having a properly functioning throttle, and it doesn't feel like it's destroying my engine.

How do you like Cobbs tune compared to the apr tune. Is the apr tune noticeably more powerful