GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Random starting issue 1.4 TSI

Carlosfandang0

Autocross Newbie
Any luck finding the issue??

Fuel filter won’t put out a code, you just get symptoms! Pretty sure the same applies to the pump but not 100% sure on that!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dabbsy

Any luck finding the issue??

Fuel filter won’t put out a code, you just get symptoms! Pretty sure the same applies to the pump but not 100% sure on that!

The garage could not find anything, I have not checked the fuel pump yet but will do when I get a moment.

Last edited:

Dabbsy

Just thought I'd update my status. So I have changed the fuel filter twice, had the ignition switch replaced and still I am getting this starting problem. It is happening more often now, is there anything which I may have overlooked?

Carlosfandang0

Autocross Newbie
Just thought I'd update my status. So I have changed the fuel filter twice, had the ignition switch replaced and still I am getting this starting problem. It is happening more often now, is there anything which I may have overlooked?

Fuel pump!

Carlosfandang0

Autocross Newbie
When did you last change your spark plugs? I also had plugs fitted at the same time as the filter so they may have played a part in solving it!

Dabbsy

Hello again Carlos. I changed the spark plugs around 3 months ago. Sorry you mentioned the fuel pump, i have not looked at that as unsure what to do?

Carlosfandang0

Autocross Newbie
Hello again Carlos. I changed the spark plugs around 3 months ago. Sorry you mentioned the fuel pump, i have not looked at that as unsure what to do?

The video I posted earlier in the thread explains all about the pump.

Dabbsy

I would check the in tank fuel pump next, Check the fuel pump in the tank by lifting the rear seat base, it could well be faulty, also the electronic part located in the black pump cover can overheat and cause problems, ( you can diagnose this by feeling if it’s hot ),

This video should be of help,
https://youtu.be/5hTNWo3E4nE

Thanks for your help I did see that originally, I hear the fuel pump go off when I turn the key once so I was not sure if it was an issue. Would I need to have the car on for sometime for me to see if its overheating?

Carlosfandang0

Autocross Newbie
Thanks for your help I did see that originally, I hear the fuel pump go off when I turn the key once so I was not sure if it was an issue. Would I need to have the car on for sometime for me to see if its overheating?

I’m not sure to be honest! As I fortunately didn’t have to go that route, But any mechanic worth their salt should be able to troubleshoot the things that might cause the issue, my guess would be it’s fuel related though.

Carlosfandang0

Autocross Newbie
I think you’ve used the wrong filter if the bar pressure was 6.4 originally that is what you should be using, not 6.6!

Dabbsy

I think you’ve used the wrong filter if the bar pressure was 6.4 originally that is what you should be using, not 6.6!

When searching for a new one i was directed to a thread which mentioned that the 6.6 bar filter had superseeded the 6.4 one, maybe all this time it was the 2 filters I got at 6.6 bar which is where the issue lies? All searches to a another filter point me to a 6.6 bar filter including eurocarparts, maybe it is correct?

Last edited:

Carlosfandang0

Autocross Newbie
When searching for a new one i was directed to a thread which mentioned that the 6.6 bar filter had superseeded the 6.4 one, maybe all this time it was the 2 filters I got at 6.6 bar which is where the issue lies? Worth a shot ill get a 6.4 one, if this still is the issue ill look at the fuel pump as you mentioned :)

As long as the original was 6.4 then give it a go, It could be that 6.6 is now correct but I’m under the impression that bar rating is the opening pressure and that would suggest it would be more difficult for your fuel pump to push fuel through the filter if it should operate at 6.4bar, once running the high pressure fuel pump would mask the low pressure tank pumps struggle, there is also a 4.0bar filter available so make sure you get a filter matched to your VIN, preferably get it at the dealership or TPS, i was told by Jamie at TurnerRaceDevelopments that it has been known for the wrong filters to be put in the wrong boxes so check the pressure stamped on the filter its self, what was the bar rating on the originally replaced filter??

Dabbsy

As long as the original was 6.4 then give it a go, It could be that 6.6 is now correct but I’m under the impression that bar rating is the opening pressure and that would suggest it would be more difficult for your fuel pump to push fuel through the filter if it should operate at 6.4bar, once running the high pressure fuel pump would mask the low pressure tank pumps struggle, there is also a 4.0bar filter available so make sure you get a filter matched to your VIN, preferably get it at the dealership or TPS, i was told by Jamie at TurnerRaceDevelopments that it has been known for the wrong filters to be put in the wrong boxes so check the pressure stamped on the filter its self, what was the bar rating on the originally replaced filter??

It was 6.4 bar on the original filter i changed when I got the car to a 6.6 bar one.

Dabbsy

I have called the main dealer who checked against my vin/chassis no and the only filter available now is the 6.6 bar one, I cant seem to find the discontinued 6.4 bar filter. I think I will focus on the fuel pump itself like you said, hopefully this is the cause.