GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Best k04 turbo option

Jfabre23

Hey guys so I’m stage 2 with Unitronic and Im hoping that some of you could help me out on choosing the right k04 turbo. I have a full 3” CTS turboback exhuast with resonator delete, R8 coils, Forge Bov, neuspeed P flow cold air intake, and Unitronic intercooler..

That’s what I have so far. Just want to upgrade the turbo.. so far I have seen a lot of people that like CTS, HPA, and APR but I would scratch off APR due to the fact that it’s a competitor to my tune.. so any suggestions on which k04 turbo I should get and any further suggestions on what to get to support the power.

brobst

Go Kart Champion
K04 will run with everything stock or full bolt on. At the minimum you will need coil packs, spark plugs. Recommended intake and downpipe
Better performance turbo outlet pipe and intercooler

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

smanierre

Autocross Champion
Yeah your right but is there any supporting mods that I have to do?

You will probably want to look into spark plugs, usually just ask your tuner and they will recommend some. Not necessary but charge pipes will probably give you some slightly better response/power. If you feel like dropping a lot of money, an lsd will help get the power to the ground, especially with the torque spike you can get with a k04. If you want to squeeze every last bit out of it, water meth will give you cooler IAT's and a bit of supplemental fueling depending on how much you spray, but also can be a bit on the expensive side depending on the setup.

Jfabre23

You will probably want to look into spark plugs, usually just ask your tuner and they will recommend some. Not necessary but charge pipes will probably give you some slightly better response/power. If you feel like dropping a lot of money, an lsd will help get the power to the ground, especially with the torque spike you can get with a k04. If you want to squeeze every last bit out of it, water meth will give you cooler IAT's and a bit of supplemental fueling depending on how much you spray, but also can be a bit on the expensive side depending on the setup.

I actually have the ngk platinum spark plugs but as far as carbon build up prevention.. would it be worth the money to get a oil catch can?

smanierre

Autocross Champion
I actually have the ngk platinum spark plugs but as far as carbon build up prevention.. would it be worth the money to get a oil catch can?

I've heard mixed reviews about catch cans. Some say they cause issues, others say they fix issues. I doubt it will completely prevent carbon buildup since thats just the nature of DI engines. People have said it helps to keep oil out of the whole intake system though. If you do get one, get one of the newer revision ones that keeps the OEM PCV and doesn't use and aftermarket Africa plate.

lilonespaz

Drag Race Newbie
driver mod required
lulz

In all seriousness though all k04 kits are basiacly built to be bolt on stock (with the k04 tune) anything added like intake, downpipe, TOP, intercooler just adds to the experience that being said you can run stock car with k04 and tune no probelm.

Excluding new plugs and coil packs (those are a must for ANY tuned car imo).

SnailPower

Autocross Newbie
Yeah if you are looking for advertised numbers, you need at minimal what the K04 vendor's website recommends. I think all I'm missing is exhaust valve springs but don't know ultimately how much that affects performance.

I'm currently using Integrated Engineering k04 with APR tune and honestly I think it comes down to the tune with how much you are satisfied with the performance. I don't know how Unitronic feels but personally, I'm not all that digging APR. It has like zero low end torque and then when you punch it, it's wheels spinning, zero traction, sounds like I'm racing everyone.

I would love to feel how the car performs with Uni but unfortunately I don't know anyone with it. I also don't think my nearest Uni vendor has a demo car they could give me a ride in. Wish they did because if Uni had a better low end feel, I would switch over completely.

U-20T

Go Kart Champion
I would love to feel how the car performs with Uni but unfortunately I don't know anyone with it. I also don't think my nearest Uni vendor has a demo car they could give me a ride in. Wish they did because if Uni had a better low end feel, I would switch over completely.

It will give you a linear feel to power delivery, it does not make as much tq on the spike but its smooth through.

I don't know anyone with one anymore or I would help you out, and my car is a very big turbo. You can look at a golf R stg2 hpfp, if someone you know has one, delivery will be a similar feel.

SnailPower

Autocross Newbie
It will give you a linear feel to power delivery, it does not make as much tq on the spike but its smooth through.

I don't know anyone with one anymore or I would help you out, and my car is a very big turbo. You can look at a golf R stg2 hpfp, if someone you know has one, delivery will be a similar feel.

Yeah this lack of low end torque is driving me crazy. The car has zero pep below 3k and then it's almost unpredictable after that. If Uni is more linear and consistent, then that is already an improvement over hot and cold of the APR tune.

I've been destroyed by everything you can name on the road trying to get off the line without giving it too much power. I even have minivans pass around me aggressively cause the damn thing is too slow at low end, lol :mad0259:

I plan on keeping this car for awhile for lack of car payments very soon but I honestly think the next future ride will be AWD without a doubt. COULD be an R. Who knows what the future holds :D :thumbup:

gtibrad

ZUM DIS
Every direct injection engine with just 4 injectors can benefit from a baffled CC...but know you have to empty it....can't count the times I have people look at the engine bay and am asked why is all this oil everywhere? Obviously they bought the car already having a CC...they don't know to empty it...and then they say they can't keep the hoses connected, duh. Or the richest story ever was when they removed the return hose and add a cool looking VTA filter...then oil started going all over...so they plugged it :yikes:. One guy had a BSH CC in his newly purchased 'used' GTI and he said there was nothing there, CC dipstick was gone, and so he added a VTA filter to a CC with a return line...couldn't figure out why it ran badly. Um, lots of un-metered air perhaps?

Supporting mods are specified by the tuner you select....they developed the "off the shelf" files based on those mods. First, pick your tuner that has on their "K04 suggested mod list" what you want to add...then if supporting bits are needed; find out what size intake you should have....ask about the DP size as well and stick to those diameters. If you find, or have chosen, someone that tunes custom to your mods...then it's easy...you mod what you want to and then they tune it based on those upgrades. There aren't nearly as many custom tuners here in the US like there are in Europe. Over there most do custom tuning and just go get tuned with what they have currently installed.

I believe the DP diameter has something to do with torque...I have a FSI K04 with a 2.5" DP rather than a 3"...it's a 2.5" turbo-back...and my torque on the dyno was 363 lb*ft. Most FSI K04, non-meth...just race fuel, torque is sub 315 lb*ft with a 3" DP.

Last edited:

iSpeed

Passed Driver's Ed
I recently installed the CTS K04 myself and loving it! I got it on the sale price over the holidays which is the same as it was in May. I spoke with Nik at CTS and they recommend going with UM for the tunning as he said they are the best for their kit. I wasted no time and went that route.

With UM you have the option of choosing a 2bar or 3bar map sensor tune. Fred at UM recommend the 3bar as it maximizes the K04 so I went with the 3bar and glad I did! I'm running ever damn bolt on that CTS offers (including their catch can)already so the UM custom built file based on those mods really squeezes everything out of the set up and let me just say she rips!

I have been pleased with everything CTS makes for the MK6 and the UM guys certainly know how to tune a car, even from 10k miles away!
(Edit: UM guys make great tunes.....HOWEVER hands down the worst customer communication and service I've ever delt with for spending over $2k with them. It's so bad that I'll never use them again.)

Last edited: