GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

TSI Intake Manifold Removal DIY + Valve Cleaning

DBESTGTI1

Go Kart Champion
I would also like to point out something about the fuel injectors. If they stay in the head your fine, if any pull out of the head your not fine. There is a Teflon seal on the injector to seal it to the head, it's a one time use seal and you can not replace it without a VW special tool and some know how.

sukanas1

Ready to race!
great write up, bookmarked, but i dont think i could do it myself, how much the dealer charge it to do it?

hrm... all this looks somewhat "new" to me. would it be fair to say this is the same level of difficulty as doing coilover installations? haha

steelcurtain

Go Kart Champion
I would also like to point out something about the fuel injectors. If they stay in the head your fine, if any pull out of the head your not fine. There is a Teflon seal on the injector to seal it to the head, it's a one time use seal and you can not replace it without a VW special tool and some know how.
Good point. A bad seal was what motivated mento pull the mani. If you look in the pics, the injector in cyl 3 is gone. There was no seal, it was gone. This allowed the injector to just come out with the mani.

There is a special tool to install the seals but didn't use it and had no issue but the seal does get slightly stretched when applying by hand. I figured the seals would shrink back to their original diameter with the heat and pressure of the combustion chamber.

I highly recommend pulling your injectors to check on the seals. All o mine were damaged except one but I've Been chipped since 500 miles and run water meth. I you buy new injectors the seals come on them. The I Hector repair kit comes with a different type "holder" for the injector to fit into the bore. Two of the four original holders were cracked.

DBESTGTI1

Go Kart Champion
As someone who works on VW's for a living I completely disagree with your thoughts and methods involving direct injection injectors. I urge people to have the one time use seals done correctly, there's no point in going through all this work then half assing the details.

bewshy

Passed Driver's Ed

I've seen the tool run from $150 - $250. Ouch.

steelcurtain

Go Kart Champion
I've seen the tool run from $150 - $250. Ouch.

Exactly. Myself and others have not used the tool without issue. Is it the correct way? No. Does the injector still seal replacing them by hand? Yes. For me and others it did. Can you screw it up so it creates an issue? Yes. Choose your method wisely.

I guess it wouldn't take much to take your injectors to the dealer to have a VW mechanic use the tool to perform the procedure properly. I can appreciate doing things the right way.

This DIY is not about replacing the injectors or seals so let's move on.

DBESTGTI1

Go Kart Champion
It's part of doing the job, but since it doesn't shine a positive light on your DIY yes we can ignore it if you'd like. I wanted to make sure those interested knew the correct way, but your right they can choose your way instead of they want. I'll leave it alone.

steelcurtain

Go Kart Champion
It's part of doing the job, but since it doesn't shine a positive light on your DIY yes we can ignore it if you'd like. I wanted to make sure those interested knew the correct way, but your right they can choose your way instead of they want. I'll leave it alone.

I'm not trying to ignore anything. It has nothing to do with shinning a positive light. I referenced there was a tool for doing it the correct way in my original post.

It's just that the tone of your responses have come across as being a little snide IMO. There is no reference to injector seal removal or replacement in this DIY so IT IS completely off topic.

steelcurtain

Go Kart Champion
I didn't but you can if you don't remove it from the manifold.