GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

DIY Oil Change with no Jack, Filter Wrench and Funnel

PenguinGTI

Passed Driver's Ed
Hi Guys, I would like to share my DIY oil change without jack up the car, filter wrench and funnel. I am a small guy but can reach the drain plug and unscrew it with one hand. I use a packaging tape to create enough torque to remove the oil filter. I use a empty one quart oil bottle to pour motor oil, so that I don't need to use a funnel. you guys may say, funnel, filter wrench are cheap. but Guys like me want to keep thing simple may found this video useful. Hope you guys like it.

https://youtu.be/u_b1gScWJJ4

zrickety

The Fixer
Cool, but technically your tape is the wrench and the bottle is a funnel. I can remove the GTI filter by hand without any tools.

PenguinGTI

Passed Driver's Ed
Thank You! The tape and empty bottle make it like DIY job :) :)

When I install the new filter, I just hand tight it. So that next time, It will be much easier to remove it.

Cool, but technically your tape is the wrench and the bottle is a funnel. I can remove the GTI filter by hand without any tools.

ashchuckton

Ready to race!
I use this. Oil extractor

Filter gets hand tightened. Might still want a funnel depending on if you're using a 5 quart bottle or 1qt of oil.

I like the idea of using one of these, but worry about getting all the oil out. Does it get all the oil out or are you leaving some in the bottom of the pan? I'm thinking jacking up the drivers side a bit will make the dipstick tube area the lowest part of the pan helping to get all of the old stuff out.

phant0m

Ready to race!
I like the idea of using one of these, but worry about getting all the oil out. Does it get all the oil out or are you leaving some in the bottom of the pan? I'm thinking jacking up the drivers side a bit will make the dipstick tube area the lowest part of the pan helping to get all of the old stuff out.
I usually get between 4-4.5 quarts out. Granted I am probably burning maybe half a quart between changes. I'd say it gets the majority out. You're also adding a lot of new oil so I haven't been worried about the possible 0-0.5qt that may be left in there

Im lowered and have the ECS street shield so it's a royal pain to get the car up and access to the drain plug. This makes it a million times easier, quicker and safer in my situation

Sent from my Samsung GALAXY S7 Edge

ashchuckton

Ready to race!
Thanks for the feedback. I'd guess a bit of oil is still soaking the media of the old oil filter too. Does that top-sider work well or is there a brand you think is better? The price looks good for that one.

phant0m

Ready to race!
I bought the one in the link I posted. But the reviews for other similar ones look good too. As long as it's over 5qt capacity and has a long tube/hose for extraction that'll fit the dipstick, you should be good!

Sent from my Samsung GALAXY S7 Edge

ashchuckton

Ready to race!
Engine cleaning....

This is how I clean an engine. I do it once a year so it never really gets bad. This is done when I'm washing the car.

A light spray of water then a light spray of a diluted mix of Simple Green. Don't get it on the outside paint if you can help it. If you do rinse it off asap. Wait 15 minutes & rinse it off, don't blast the water hard. Dry off what you can reach & go for a drive. Your engine isn't going to rust.

PenguinGTI

Passed Driver's Ed
Thank you! will try :D

This is how I clean an engine. I do it once a year so it never really gets bad. This is done when I'm washing the car.

A light spray of water then a light spray of a diluted mix of Simple Green. Don't get it on the outside paint if you can help it. If you do rinse it off asap. Wait 15 minutes & rinse it off, don't blast the water hard. Dry off what you can reach & go for a drive. Your engine isn't going to rust.