GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Sean's Shadow Blue GTI

smanierre

Autocross Champion
Installed the H&R 26mm front sway bar this past weekend. Definitely one of the more annoying jobs i've done on this car so far. I got the steinjager adjustable endlinks hooked up today and went for a quick drive and it feels really good. Now I just need to install the adjustable endlinks in the rear and put it on the stiff setting to be done with all the swaybar work on the car.

torga

Autocross Champion
I saw on another thread that you had to let the subframe hang. Did you have to remove anything for access?

smanierre

Autocross Champion
I just took off the wheels which made it easier to get to the endlinks. You could probably do it without taking the wheels off though. Besides that just all the bolts that hold the subframe up

torga

Autocross Champion
I just took off the wheels which made it easier to get to the endlinks. You could probably do it without taking the wheels off though. Besides that just all the bolts that hold the subframe up
Oh cool. Dropping the subframe is annoying, but I thought there would be more part removal than that. Good to know.

zef

Drag Racing Champion
Hey man, any chance you could do me a solid? Can you measure how much clearance you have between the wheel and the shock in the rear? I am looking at an identical wheel/tire setup but with hoosiers, and despite being a 255 these stick out an extra 1/4 inch more on either side than the firestones so just seeing if I can swing it or not.

smanierre

Autocross Champion
Hey man, any chance you could do me a solid? Can you measure how much clearance you have between the wheel and the shock in the rear? I am looking at an identical wheel/tire setup but with hoosiers, and despite being a 255 these stick out an extra 1/4 inch more on either side than the firestones so just seeing if I can swing it or not.
This is the best I can get, maybe this weekend I'll be able to get the back up in the air. Hopefully this helps a bit though

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk

zef

Drag Racing Champion
Thank you! I was expecting it to be a lot closer... Now I am wondering if an 18x9 could be done too.

Sspcivic31

Drag Race Newbie
I just went to 18x8.5s et45’s and 255/35/18 p4s’s. I had issue with the bracket that holds the rear bumper to the body at that back of the fender opening. On bumps I was rubbing it. Car has 2.3deg negative camber and zero toe in the back at about 25.5” fender to ground measurement. Some minor grinding and rounding seems to have fixed it. I don’t thing a 9” wide wheel is gonna work lowered on the stock rear fender openings. Even if you had an et50ish offset.

trekker

Go Kart Newbie
Installed the H&R 26mm front sway bar this past weekend. Definitely one of the more annoying jobs i've done on this car so far. I got the steinjager adjustable endlinks hooked up today and went for a quick drive and it feels really good. Now I just need to install the adjustable endlinks in the rear and put it on the stiff setting to be done with all the swaybar work on the car.

Sounds a challenging job on the front sway bar install.

CowTownRacer

Drag Racing Champion
Love your build dude. You're doing it right and starting with a solid base before moving into the high power mods. I'm taking a very similar track to you and will be sending my car to the shop for the lsd and clutch job middle of next month. Awesome work my man!

smanierre

Autocross Champion
Thanks! I'd rather just have everything done and ready so that when I do go for big power, everything else can handle it and for the most part I won't have to worry about chasing down different things that hurt the performance of the car.

smanierre

Autocross Champion
Oil change done yesterday. Will be nice and fresh for the autox I have on Saturday. Got my rear endlinks installed today. I'm really hoping they don't clunk since I already have enough of that on my plate at the moment. I made sure all the bolts were tight and put some blue locktite on the locking bolt for the length.

smanierre

Autocross Champion
Went to eEuroFest yesterday at Limerock. Did some "autocross" there. In quotes because while it was definitely an autocross style course, it was just continuous driving for 5 minutes and there were multiple people on the track so if you got someone slow then everyone would get piled up behind them. My girlfriend got some good shots though and a good quick clip of my exhaust.

Link to clip: https://youtu.be/DIw455h8BoY

smanierre

Autocross Champion
Got my BBK in from rotorlab finally. I love how big they are and how they look. Just waiting for the ebrake calipers to come in. I did a bit of maintenance on it as well yesterday. Fixed an exhaust leak that developed, one of the bolts backed all the way our and fell out, the other was just loose. Got them all tightened up now though. Also had a clunk in the rear and i'm 90% sure it was because my strut was too long so when I hit a bump the spring was able to get some space between itself and the perch causing a clunk when it came back down. Also found out my PCV diaphragm was torn so I bought a new vaico PCV to get the latest revision along with an RKX diaphragm.

Front and rear calipers:

Just the rotors are bigger than the calipers on the stock setup:

Slightly Bigger:

Ripped diaphragm:

Oil leaking between trans and engine. Hopefully will stop once I get the new PCV since I have the iAbed RMS already: