GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Turtle Wax ICE Seal N Shine question

ce4

Ready to race!
So i have been reading lots of reviews and watching numerous comparison videos on the new Turtle Wax ICE Seal N Shine.

https://www.turtlewax.com/en-us/our-products/ice/turtle-wax-ice-seal-n-shine/

Stuff looks good, especially at the price point. ($6.00 on Amazon)

But one thing i'm not finding much info on is wax application. Would this be done before or after application of this product? Would it even be needed?

The basic steps that i've found for applying this product with best results are:
1. wash
2. decon
3. clay
4. cleaner/polish (for clean clear coat)
5. IPA Wipe down
6. apply Seal n Shine

So where would a wax fit into this?

XSSIVE

Ready to race!
You can use it alone after the IPA as your only LSP (last step protection) or you can use it on top of another sealant or wax as a durable super slick extra protection layer if you want. I have it on 3 different vehicles, two have it solo with nothing else on them and my R has it over a coat of Soft 99 Fusso Coat and it works great on all of them. The R is a sunny day only covered garage queen (this stuff is so slick it makes getting the soft fleece lined cover on hard since it slides over the car so easily wanting to fall off the other side), one SUV is garage kept but driven in all weather and the other SUV outdoor kept year round. So I'm testing it with 3 real world scenarios for cars to see how it holds up to other things I've tried in the past.

I've had Seal N Shine on these 3 cars for nearing 5 weeks now and it's awesome. Can't believe I'm saying that about a Turtle Wax product after many years of detailing and being a crazy product tester and product snob haha.

It's so easy and quick to put on and wipe off you can just top it up after every couple of washes if you want to and it will only take a few minutes more than the wash itself.

If you use it alone it will probably last longer since it will bond to the paint instead of trying to bond to a sealant or wax layer below. If using it over another sealant or wax it becomes the sacrificial layer that you top up after a few washes and the wax or sealant below is your main protection. Either way works and everyone has their own methods for layering or just renewing one product every once in a while. There's no right or wrong, it just comes down to testing and trying things to see what works for you. Since it's a fairly new product not a lot of info is out there about what products it works well over and what, if any, it doesn't work well over.

ce4

Ready to race!
Awesome man!!! Good info and thank you very much! happy to hear it's working for ya well, can't wait to give it a shot.

it is VERY surprising to be this excited about a turtlewax product!

icee

Ready to race!
I purchased and applied the Seal N Shine a few weeks ago and I too am VERY pleased with the results. When I washed the car today, those usually stubborn tree pollen spots was effortlessly lifted off the paint.

I noticed that with all the other carnauba or synthetic waxes I've used in the past, the nice slickness usually wears off after being exposed to a few days of morning dew.

The Seal N Shine still feels slick after a complete wash!

One word of caution though. If you are spraying it directly onto the car, be sure to wipe off any over-spray that hits the glass. I hit the windshield while I was doing the A pillars and it dried on. It takes a bit of elbow grease to get it off. Imagine trying to remove bunches of micro spots of hardened carnauba wax.

I still can't believe that this is a Turtle Wax product. :D

XSSIVE

Ready to race!
You can actually use it on your exterior glass as a RainX type product too and it works surprisingly well.

dbizzle22

Go Kart Champion
You can use it alone after the IPA as your only LSP (last step protection) or you can use it on top of another sealant or wax as a durable super slick extra protection layer if you want. I have it on 3 different vehicles, two have it solo with nothing else on them and my R has it over a coat of Soft 99 Fusso Coat and it works great on all of them. The R is a sunny day only covered garage queen (this stuff is so slick it makes getting the soft fleece lined cover on hard since it slides over the car so easily wanting to fall off the other side), one SUV is garage kept but driven in all weather and the other SUV outdoor kept year round. So I'm testing it with 3 real world scenarios for cars to see how it holds up to other things I've tried in the past.

I've had Seal N Shine on these 3 cars for nearing 5 weeks now and it's awesome. Can't believe I'm saying that about a Turtle Wax product after many years of detailing and being a crazy product tester and product snob haha.

It's so easy and quick to put on and wipe off you can just top it up after every couple of washes if you want to and it will only take a few minutes more than the wash itself.

If you use it alone it will probably last longer since it will bond to the paint instead of trying to bond to a sealant or wax layer below. If using it over another sealant or wax it becomes the sacrificial layer that you top up after a few washes and the wax or sealant below is your main protection. Either way works and everyone has their own methods for layering or just renewing one product every once in a while. There's no right or wrong, it just comes down to testing and trying things to see what works for you. Since it's a fairly new product not a lot of info is out there about what products it works well over and what, if any, it doesn't work well over.

Got any other recommendations for products that are in the same bang-for-buck / works as good as product X that costs 10x more realm? I've been watching Youtube videos for cheap vs expensive and it really is impressive how well big store brand products like Turtle Wax, Eagle One and Meguiars are all getting 90% effectiveness at 1/3 of the cost of the enthusiast brands.

XSSIVE

Ready to race!
Got any other recommendations for products that are in the same bang-for-buck / works as good as product X that costs 10x more realm? I've been watching Youtube videos for cheap vs expensive and it really is impressive how well big store brand products like Turtle Wax, Eagle One and Meguiars are all getting 90% effectiveness at 1/3 of the cost of the enthusiast brands.

I'm a product testing junkie from pricey stuff to cheap and everything in between and after 22 years of detailing, first as an actual job and now just for fun on my own cars and family and friends when I have free time, I can honestly say I've tried nearly everything out there worth trying and am still trying new things just for fun. I have my list of specific products I like best for certain categories, not all are the cheapest but nearly all of them aren't the most pricey either. What type of products are you looking for? I can recommend some good stuff that isn't overly pricey but it's not all over the counter Walmart or parts store gold like Seal N Shine, most will need to be ordered online.

Here are some I consider good bang for the buck...

For wheels, tires and wheel well cleaning I like P&S Brake Buster which is only $20 for a gallon. It does all 3 jobs extremely well and saves having to buy two or three different products for those 3 jobs since it does it all well.

For glass cleaner my go to is Meguiar's D120 which is from their pro line and is a concentrate you then dilute with water. It's around $20 a gallon but that gallon when diluted with water makes you 11 gallons of glass cleaner, you won't need to buy glass cleaner for a VERY long time. It works great since it's alcohol based, it's tint safe since there's no ammonia and it smells a bit like grape so when using it inside a car you're not being bombarded by the alcohol smell like other glass cleaners.

You can typically get those on sale when Autogeek or other online retailers have 15, 20 or even 25% off sales making them even better value bulk purchases that will last you a while. Autogeek is currently having a 25% off sale BTW.

If you want something even more durable than Seal N Shine an awesome paste wax/sealant for about $20 a tin is Soft 99 Fusso Coat (check out waxmode's youtube video on it's hydrophobic properties, among other youtube videos). There's a dark and a light version depending on your paint... https://jdmchemicals.com/collections/car-wax Although with how well Seal N Shine has been performing for me and others doing testing, and how easy it is to re-apply real quick after a wash, is extra durability really needed beyond it? Been asking myself that question. I still love Fusso though excellent product. I have other waxes that cost $100 a tin, so this to me is a major deal IMO at $20. Make sure you put it on thin and do it on cool dry panels in the shade and it goes on and off easily. If you put it on too thick or try and use it in the sun or heat it will fight you a bit coming off, but that can be said for several products when used improperly. I've just seen a few people complain about removal and in every case I'd bet it was user error of piling it on.

dbizzle22

Go Kart Champion
I'm a product testing junkie from pricey stuff to cheap and everything in between and after 22 years of detailing, first as an actual job and now just for fun on my own cars and family and friends when I have free time, I can honestly say I've tried nearly everything out there worth trying and am still trying new things just for fun. I have my list of specific products I like best for certain categories, not all are the cheapest but nearly all of them aren't the most pricey either. What type of products are you looking for? I can recommend some good stuff that isn't overly pricey but it's not all over the counter Walmart or parts store gold like Seal N Shine, most will need to be ordered online.

Here are some I consider good bang for the buck...

For wheels, tires and wheel well cleaning I like P&S Brake Buster which is only $20 for a gallon. It does all 3 jobs extremely well and saves having to buy two or three different products for those 3 jobs since it does it all well.

For glass cleaner my go to is Meguiar's D120 which is from their pro line and is a concentrate you then dilute with water. It's around $20 a gallon but that gallon when diluted with water makes you 11 gallons of glass cleaner, you won't need to buy glass cleaner for a VERY long time. It works great since it's alcohol based, it's tint safe since there's no ammonia and it smells a bit like grape so when using it inside a car you're not being bombarded by the alcohol smell like other glass cleaners.

You can typically get those on sale when Autogeek or other online retailers have 15, 20 or even 25% off sales making them even better value bulk purchases that will last you a while. Autogeek is currently having a 25% off sale BTW.

If you want something even more durable than Seal N Shine an awesome paste wax/sealant for about $20 a tin is Soft 99 Fusso Coat (check out waxmode's youtube video on it's hydrophobic properties, among other youtube videos). There's a dark and a light version depending on your paint... https://jdmchemicals.com/collections/car-wax Although with how well Seal N Shine has been performing for me and others doing testing, and how easy it is to re-apply real quick after a wash, is extra durability really needed beyond it? Been asking myself that question. I still love Fusso though excellent product. I have other waxes that cost $100 a tin, so this to me is a major deal IMO at $20. Make sure you put it on thin and do it on cool dry panels in the shade and it goes on and off easily. If you put it on too thick or try and use it in the sun or heat it will fight you a bit coming off, but that can be said for several products when used improperly. I've just seen a few people complain about removal and in every case I'd bet it was user error of piling it on.

Thanks for the above! What about interior cleaning? Seats, steering wheel, dash etc.