GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Ticking sound from inside driver's door.

Hoosier

Passed Driver's Ed
I sometimes get a rhythmical ticking from inside the driver door. Every 1/2 to 1 second. Sometimes running, sometimes parked.. Who knows, I may have a haunted VW.. Anyone else get this? I know we get lots of rattles and hums, but this is different. Sounds like something cycling.

GTiBri

I get it too. Usually first 5~10 min of driving. I think it's related to thermal expansion of the door metal. It mostly happens when my car sits in the sun all day and I turn on the A/C.

fasteddy

Ready to race!
You might be talking about the fuel system checking for leaks. It usually is heard the first 2-6 minutes of driving. Check into that.

yegor

Ready to race!
You might be talking about the fuel system checking for leaks. It usually is heard the first 2-6 minutes of driving. Check into that.

No, he is not talking about fuel system check.

The ticking sound clearly comes from the driver's door and, as GTiBri mentioned above, I also think it's the expansion of something inside the door. It's another annoyance in these cars. My daughter's 12 year old Golf has less rattles and squeaks than my one year old GTI :)

theunderlord

Ready to race!
Mine does this too, very strange.

HOWEVA!! the rear window spray nozzle hasn't leaked at all in 6 months.

mtpease

I have a 2011 Golf TDI with identical symptoms. Have any of you found a fix? It's driving me insane. My dealer doesn't even admit hearing the sound, even though every passenger I've ever had can hear it.

Thanks!

rawbdog

Go Kart Champion
mine does the same. i just turn up the music and i forget about it.

Submerge

Ready to race!
I had that same ticking...actually I have 3. One from the usual fuel pump..the other on the passenger door due to temps..with expanding plastics on seals and etc. The 3rd ticking (driver's door) had to be repaired twice. Turns out it was a welding bead on the inside of the door that was protruding to much and would make contact with the inside of the sheet metal (door) causing a tapping sound that was completely random. It must have been within millimeters, because it would sometimes happen and sometimes not...probably also depended on temps.

V_Dub_You

Also have that noise only on sunny days. Tried to have the dealer take a look at it but they said they didn't hear anything.

It seems like it is coming from the black trim on the vertical part of the door next to the window. When I close the door it moves a little bit and sqeeks but the passenger side feels solid and doesn't creak or tick.

Cadubya

Autocross Newbie
It's the door check. I've seen a post where someone wrapped it in electrical tape and it stopped the rattle.

PDPCEO

Ready to race!
its a bomb

asmerrill

Ready to race!
I have it too but I personally think it has to do with static electricity built up on the black trim piece cuz it has shocked me many times.