GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV
VW GTI MKVI Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVI Forum / VW GTI Forum - Golfmk6.com

Go Back   VW GTI MKVI Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVI Forum / VW GTI Forum - Golfmk6.com > Volkswagen GTI / Golf Topics > GTI & Golf MKVI General Discussions

Old 01-04-2011, 05:26 AM   #43
DXBGTI
Drag Race Newbie

Drives: MK6 GTI - DSG - White
Quote:
Originally Posted by danielj View Post
I use the digital speedo. I don't like how analog gauges these days have an unrealistic range. Who is going to drive their GTI at 180?
The reason for this is that an analogue guage is most accurtae at the mid point of its travel, therefore if you look, most mid points are cruising speeds on the highway, so around the 70 - 80mph mark, hense the unrealistic "180mph"
[ ] Downpipe
DXBGTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 10:26 AM   #44
danielj

Drives: 2013 BMW x135
Quote:
Originally Posted by DXBGTI View Post
The reason for this is that an analogue guage is most accurtae at the mid point of its travel, therefore if you look, most mid points are cruising speeds on the highway, so around the 70 - 80mph mark, hense the unrealistic "180mph"
I understand that but most of us in the US drive between 0 and 60 mph and a speedometer going up to 180 MPH places those speeds in an impossibly small range to quickly and accurately tell your speed.

In some spots where I live if you're going even a couple of miles over the limit you will be pulled over or caught via speed cam.

APR Stage I/ Carbonio Stage I&II Intake/ H&R Super Sports & RSB/ 18" Avant Gardes/ OEM LED Tails/ Some cosmetic stuff/ Now I'm done modding - because I traded it in....
danielj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 01:41 PM   #45
scirocco16V
Autocross Champion

Drives: 1981 MKI Scirocco 16V/2011 MKVI GTi
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbcritch View Post
HUD = heads up display? As an app? I gotta know more....
yea...android has a few.. I like "SPEED by The Swirling Brain" (free) because you can customize fonts, colors, rotation, ect.
Also like Dynomaster (not free) for all its logging functions and the vw GTI gauge pack

Asfar as GPS goes, the accuarcy is not exact like another poster said..consumer GPS is not perfect by far, however 95% time my Garmin, my phone and my MFI all read within 1-2 mph (close enough for goverment work).

Garmin claims accuracy at Within 50'
Moto Droids are 10' to 15'
My Trimble Unit is 0.5' & .3' (pro-grade gps)

I perfer the 180mph over the 70mph speedo my ford had, "how fast are we going?" "dunno, needle is bouncing off the Trip Reset Button, so I guess about 85mph"

Last edited by scirocco16V; 01-05-2011 at 01:47 PM.
scirocco16V is offline   Reply With Quote