GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

DIY: Auto Dimming Mirror Install with Homelink

NoSpark

Go Kart Champion
Also, looks like Lessco is no longer selling the GENK41A, only the GENK40A (and at $209). Not sure if that's an issue?

intoflatlines

Drag Race Newbie
I'm selling my GENK41A kit with updated bracket/adapter. It worked perfectly while I had it, one of my favorite mods on the car by far... I took it off when I sold my GTI. I don't know what they're going for new/used, but I'm asking $175 OBO shipped. Local pickup would be preferred though.

mrMTB

For those of you with the newer adapter, did it come with the brass inset and allen-keyed set screw, or does the mirror attach without those two pieces that were required in the past?

CharT99

For those of you with the newer adapter, did it come with the brass inset and allen-keyed set screw, or does the mirror attach without those two pieces that were required in the past?

No, it doesn't need the brass insert anymore. Just the set screw and adapter is all.

CharT99

Thanks. I guess I need to take out the Dremmel and thin out the top of the adapter to get the button to sit at the top of the adapter.

If you look at my posts #175 and #294 in this thread, you'll see that I had a similar issue. The adapter is a tight fit, and I ended up filing the sides of the button just 5-10 passes with a file was all it took.

AutoBahnMi

Thank you for this detailed write up! I used this DIY to install my "Invisicord" for my V1 radar detector. Same blue connector needed as well!

skyfox23

Ready to race!
New member here, anyone installed one of these Gentex mirrors with the back camera in it?

Shep1

Ready to race!
Keeping this thing going!

Just ordered the GENK40A which is all that out there now, http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004U317QE/ref=ox_ya_os_product_refresh_T1#productDetails

With the new wiring bundle as compared to the original 41K, are people using the white connectors in the headliner or cutting them off and splicing the wire to make it like the original?

Also, is it wise to cut off the inline fuses for each power lead?

Thanks in advance and I'll update when I get it delivered and am hoping they have sorted out the poorly fitting adapters.

Thanks to everyone who has contributed and especially the OP for getting it all started!

jbcritch

Go Kart Champion
Keeping this thing going!

Just ordered the GENK40A which is all that out there now, http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004U317QE/ref=ox_ya_os_product_refresh_T1#productDetails

With the new wiring bundle as compared to the original 41K, are people using the white connectors in the headliner or cutting them off and splicing the wire to make it like the original?

Also, is it wise to cut off the inline fuses for each power lead?

Thanks in advance and I'll update when I get it delivered and am hoping they have sorted out the poorly fitting adapters.

Thanks to everyone who has contributed and especially the OP for getting it all started!

Good luck. Be sure to post pics of how it worked for you once you get done. :thumbsup:

skyfox23

Ready to race!
I have the exact same mirror out of my Civic. Was going to install and damn dealership said it'd void my warranty? WTF!! I'd like to get the GENTEX auto dimming mirror with home link AND back up camera but it's like 700-800 bucks on ebay and amazon!!!