GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Dealer ship recorded us, made us sign away our right to sue and changed the price.

FNR32

Ready to race!
It's normal to me. I've owned at least 17 and as I stated previously, every one financed through the dealer (about 5-6 iirc) had the goings on in the F&I office recorded. When I have paid cash or brought my own financing to the table then nothing was recorded. It could very well be that certain lenders require this and some do not. Im not sure why it's done, and frankly I don't really care. I recorded my sales person when I was negotiating with them just so that in case something didn't get downstream the way it should I had covered my ass.

Also, Having been the victim of Identity Theft, I think recording in the F&I room is a GREAT idea. It keeps people honest. Again, not really sure why so many are put off by this practice...

VW-TX

Go Kart Champion
It's normal to me. I've owned at least 17 and as I stated previously, every one financed through the dealer (about 5-6 iirc) had the goings on in the F&I office recorded. When I have paid cash or brought my own financing to the table then nothing was recorded. It could very well be that certain lenders require this and some do not. Im not sure why it's done, and frankly I don't really care. I recorded my sales person when I was negotiating with them just so that in case something didn't get downstream the way it should I had covered my ass.

Also, Having been the victim of Identity Theft, I think recording in the F&I room is a GREAT idea. It keeps people honest. Again, not really sure why so many are put off by this practice...

Well all of mine were financed. It's not a normal practice. But maybe in your area it is. Either way, it's not normal.

FNR32

Ready to race!
Curiosity got the better of me so I made a phone call to a friend who's family owns a dealer in Georgia. Seems like only dealerships who have in some way been burned tend to do this. And sometimes, it's a requirement of liability insurance carriers that the transactions be recorded (every single one of them). No every carrier requires this but he seems to think more and more it'll become a requirement for those dealers seeking a reasonable premium. To an extent I guess I can see where the carrier is coming from especially if the exposure to litigation is high.

Medussa

Ready to race!
Dude I got my candy white 2 door manual transmission sunroof & hid lights
For 27k with 6 years warranty. Windows edge .insurance on all 4 tires and rims . 3m clear wrapping from and back bumper and they told me
If anything happened to my bumpers that they would factory repaint
Or replace em. Did I paid too much I don't think so my car was worth every cent worth it. So worth it. I took my 2008
grand jeep Cherokee 5.7 hemi engine and traded in for a 2011 tiguan
SE moonroof gps all leather and now the wife is happy. She Dosent half too fill up every 2 days lol We love or vw's

Gunkata

Drag Race Newbie
you paid too much, yes. But as long as you're happy.

omes4life1

Ready to race!
their called the "Stealership" for a reason......

Randum

Go Kart Champion
The first dealer I went to, my first test drive. Everything was great, until I made it clear I was "shopping around" (was looking at mk5s first) Literally the sales guy asked "What do I have to do to make you walk out with that car today" I started laughing and I'm like, Look, give me your price ,and I am shopping around. After repeating myself a few times....the next day when I got a few prices on various models. They called me and WOULD NOT GIVE ME AN OUT THE DOOR PRICE, I said no deal. And they continued to call me, trying to say "we let you drive the GTI first, you should buy with us first" I'm like, really? Hung up and never talked to that dealer again lol

Just try a few different dealers, the one I bought from was low pressure, we found a good price point, worked a deal, funny guy to BS with too. They know I'm there to get a deal, and I know they are there to make money.

I had a great buying experience, it was actually pretty fun - but find the right dealer!!

(FYI I can say I would trust two dealerships in the Chicagoland area, no idea where you are from..)

ElectricEye

Autocross Newbie
Totally bad dealership experience.
Seems they piled it all on you too...
Sometimes you'll get one of those moves pulled on you - and sometimes the dealer learns it's not going to work and gives up.
These people tried to make you not buy the car.

As others are saying; go to a different dealership.
You may have a night and day experience - especially with credit scores like that.

I actually tried a different salesman in the same dealership a couple of weeks later and was much more comfortable.

Red2011GTI

Go Kart Champion
My purchase was a breeze. Went online and searched the dealer inventory (when have 5 VW dealers in the Phoenix area with the sixth one being built) found the car(s) that matched what I wanted, sent an email for an OTD price, called the dealer with the best price to confirm and told them to have the car and paper work ready and told them not bother with selling me worthless extras (the finance guy still tried like a rabid dog), drove to the dealership, wrote a check and drove home with a full tank of gas. Done.

The key was to skip the worthless sales guy and work directly with the sales/internet manager. Don't play the stealership's game, make sure you and done your research and treat them in a respectful way. The owners of the dealership keep their employees hungry and incentive them in such a way that that sometimes act like real pr...s.

Burn

Never heard of this before. I work at a dealership and I know we don't do it. Going to ask around tomorrow.

My salesman was our former service advisor for 5 yrs+ and an enthusiast. Awesome experience. Bryan at St James VW, you rule :)

crazynova

Passed Driver's Ed
There was a yellow sheet that waived your right to sue the dealership. Your price was much better than mine. MUCH BETTER.. Also they didn't break down the prices like you had and just added it to the monthly payment. When we said No they asked us why we said no without letting up.

No offense, but that's probably because they thought they could take you easier. The best thing to do when they try to negotiate based on payment is tell them you want to see the price of the car, all fees, and your interest rate. It's not difficult to calculate payment yourself. If I said no to something, and they tried to interrogate me on it, I would get up and leave.

crazynova

Passed Driver's Ed
The first dealer I went to, my first test drive. Everything was great, until I made it clear I was "shopping around" (was looking at mk5s first) Literally the sales guy asked "What do I have to do to make you walk out with that car today" I started laughing and I'm like, Look, give me your price ,and I am shopping around. After repeating myself a few times....the next day when I got a few prices on various models. They called me and WOULD NOT GIVE ME AN OUT THE DOOR PRICE, I said no deal. And they continued to call me, trying to say "we let you drive the GTI first, you should buy with us first" I'm like, really? Hung up and never talked to that dealer again lol

Just try a few different dealers, the one I bought from was low pressure, we found a good price point, worked a deal, funny guy to BS with too. They know I'm there to get a deal, and I know they are there to make money.

I had a great buying experience, it was actually pretty fun - but find the right dealer!!

(FYI I can say I would trust two dealerships in the Chicagoland area, no idea where you are from..)

This man speaks the truth. Don't get offended by a dealership trying to rip you off to make more money, it's what they do. It's a game and you have to play it. If you don't want to play it, then don't buy a new car or simply accept their initial offer and get a crappy deal.

LittleJohny

Go Kart Champion
This man speaks the truth. Don't get offended by a dealership trying to rip you off to make more money, it's what they do. It's a game and you have to play it. If you don't want to play it, then don't buy a new car or simply accept their initial offer and get a crappy deal.

Are you for serious?

Unless I'm mistaken, this was entirely unacceptable. There is no excuse to tell your customer that you will sell something for X out the door, and then make him waive his right to sue and then tell him oh by the way, you're paying Y.

Gunkata

Drag Race Newbie
yep - never negotiate mo payment amount, always negotiate selling price of car, disclosure of fees, and interest rate/term - thats what matters. As for them trying to rip you off - that's when you grow a pair and walk out and go somewhere else.

crazynova

Passed Driver's Ed
Are you for serious?

Unless I'm mistaken, this was entirely unacceptable. There is no excuse to tell your customer that you will sell something for X out the door, and then make him waive his right to sue and then tell him oh by the way, you're paying Y.

Then don't pay it. Don't get pissed about it, just find a better dealer that won't do that. Until the final contract is signed, there is no deal.