GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

pls help and discuss 225 vs 235.

songyun

Ready to race!
Hi guys.
Im going to replace my stock tires. I think I will go Micilin PSS.
Im considering 225 vs 235 40r18.
Pros vs cons pls guys.
appriciated.

Mr ohnoez

Ready to race!
.....Bigger tire...More grip
Possible rubbing...
more weight.....
going to be harder to spin the tires for the ladies....
I mean I ask stupid questions but seriously man...
its a wider tire....

XGC75

Go Kart Champion

I suppose I shouldn't expect someone with such a primitive understanding of good grammar to also understand why a guy would want to know our experiences with something as important as a tire. :iono:

Op, 235 all the way. The PSS are a pretty thin tire as is. The 225s are significantly thinner than 225 HTRZ-III's to begin with. I imagine 235 PSS would be the right size. Maybe you should even look into 245s if you sick with the PSS. They're definitely a tire I'd recommend, by the way. If you don't mind only getting 20k miles out of them.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

Cadubya

Autocross Newbie
Like Jay said, there's more to it than just tire size. The wheel width and offset makes a big difference. 235/40/18 is a taller tire and therefore will be more prone to rub than 225/40/18. If you're on the stock suspension you'll probably be fine, but if you plan on lowering at all it may rub. For me the extra width of the 235 is minimal in relation to the fitment issues. If you're going to go wider. 245/35/18 is the move, but would be best used with an 8.5" wide wheel and probably a 40et.

VMRWheels

Go Kart Champion
you need to take your wheel offset and suspension into consideration when making this choice. Are you at stock ride height? If so a 235 wouldn't likely cause any rubbing. If you're lowered on a more aggressive offset, 235's will rub for sure, then you need to possibly roll your fenders to stop that from happening.

+1, well said!

zrickety

The Fixer
I think 235 is a nice upgrade. Tire weights vary quite a bit, you can go wider with lighter weight. I also found they corrected my speedometer error with the help of vcds impulse number. I'm moderately low on worn shocks with pro springs, fender screw mod was really all I needed. 18x8 et 45.

songyun

Ready to race!

I suppose I shouldn't expect someone with such a primitive understanding of good grammar to also understand why a guy would want to know our experiences with something as important as a tire. :iono:

Op, 235 all the way. The PSS are a pretty thin tire as is. The 225s are significantly thinner than 225 HTRZ-III's to begin with. I imagine 235 PSS would be the right size. Maybe you should even look into 245s if you sick with the PSS. They're definitely a tire I'd recommend, by the way. If you don't mind only getting 20k miles out of them.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

thx for that. 20k is fine. im still running my stock tire, it's 25k now. i wont go track days so i think it wont be that bad. yeah, personally would be 235 choose.

songyun

Ready to race!
you need to take your wheel offset and suspension into consideration when making this choice. Are you at stock ride height? If so a 235 wouldn't likely cause any rubbing. If you're lowered on a more aggressive offset, 235's will rub for sure, then you need to possibly roll your fenders to stop that from happening.

yeah im stock height, havent lowered it yet. i still enjoy that stock suspension. gotta go to school everyday lel

songyun

Ready to race!
Like Jay said, there's more to it than just tire size. The wheel width and offset makes a big difference. 235/40/18 is a taller tire and therefore will be more prone to rub than 225/40/18. If you're on the stock suspension you'll probably be fine, but if you plan on lowering at all it may rub. For me the extra width of the 235 is minimal in relation to the fitment issues. If you're going to go wider. 245/35/18 is the move, but would be best used with an 8.5" wide wheel and probably a 40et.

i think i wont go 245 that wide. 235 is the best choose for me i think. stock ride height, no rub, no other serious issues. a little bit wider, more grip, thats want i want and need. thanks for the input

theunholy

Go Kart Champion

I'm on 18x8 ET45 + 3mm spacers with 235/40/18 V12 tires, DG springs and I only rub slightly on front passenger side.
If OP is on stock wheels, I'm guessing even with VWR springs, they shouldnt rub. Heck, If I'm running no spacers ET45/18x8 is the best offset for 235 tires...

SuperSkyline891

Passed Driver's Ed
235 is a very safe tire size as long as you're at a reasonable height. Beyond that you're looking at camber to make them fit if you don't want to touch the body.

My car's a MkV but I'm running 245/40-ZR18 on 18x8.5 et45. Two degrees of camber is the magic number that makes it fit.

songyun

Ready to race!
I'm on 18x8 ET45 + 3mm spacers with 235/40/18 V12 tires, DG springs and I only rub slightly on front passenger side.
If OP is on stock wheels, I'm guessing even with VWR springs, they shouldnt rub. Heck, If I'm running no spacers ET45/18x8 is the best offset for 235 tires...

Yeah. im using oem wheels and stock springs. I bought the PSS yesterday, and i just got a reminding email. just want to make sure it should be fine on oem setting.

SyDiko

Ready to race!
Lol, you went with 235/40? Ew, that's going to look ackward on stock height. The sidewall is going to be pretty tall!

songyun

Ready to race!