GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

XGC75 - One for the Road

XGC75

Go Kart Champion
Because I don't own one anymore. It costs more and doesn't switch my tunes.

Sincerely, XGC75

XGC75

Go Kart Champion
I ordered bolts for the spring install. This weekend I will be:

• Installing DG Springs, OEM dampers w/ 18k miles, skf bearings and TT strut mounts
  • Doing a boost leak test
  • Installing the new MAP harness connector

After that I hope to be ready for the road trip to SC!

XGC75

Go Kart Champion
Yeah it was a busy weekend alright.

First off, I fussed a bunch with the MAP harness:
Been looking into MAP harness issues this weekend and I'm not sure I know more or less than before.

I started with the new *704 connector pigtail. Turns out it's the same damn connector as on the car. Meaning that either 1) the sensor used for the APR k04 v3.1 file is different than the one used in the Golf R, 2) I was given the part# for the GTI not the R, or 3) VW doesn't give any fucks about how well their connectors fit in mass production. I ruled out #2 pretty quickly with a quick search. Now I need to check on #1.

So I installed the new pigtail for shits and giggles with some quick-connects, in the event that the old one on the car was messed up somehow (the pins could have been pushed back and too far recessed, more on that later). The new pigtail didn't work at all with the new sensor (constant overboosting at part throttle, no boost >7.5 PSI). It worked a little with the old sensor (not always overboosting at part throttle, sometimes initially getting >7.5 PSI but always reverting to 7.5 PSI). Yet as I took it off, the latch snapped off. It must've been sitting on the shelf for a long time because this connector is much more brittle than the connector that was in my car. So now the new pigtail is useless aside from a reference outside the engine bay.

Did some measurements on the bench to understand how it all fits together. The connector is 20 mm deep. The sensor body takes up about 18 mm of that space as far as I can press it. The pins in the sensor are about 16 mm from the far-end of the sensor body. All in all the sensor pins are inserted about 4.6mm into the connector, which might be enough to make good contact but may not be enough if the connector pins are pushed back into the connector housing.

That extra length on the calipers is how far in the pins should insert from the face of the connector housing.

In the meantime I fitted the existing connector with quick-connects and installed it into the car. Didn't work. I added some solder to the wires at the engine harness and re-installed the quick-connects. Didn't work. I bypassed the connector completely, installing gold-plated quick-connects directly to the pins of the sensor and into some quick-connects which are soldered into the harness. Doesn't work with the new sensor, but it does work with the old sensor. Until the car warms up, then the connection seems to be intermittent.

On the one hand, this is the best I can do to make a connection to the MAP sensor. On the other, this is not nearly the best solution for a connection problem to the MAP and it sure as hell isn't a long-term solution. So I'm going to continue to track down the right connector for this MAP. I can't settle for anything less than the quality of connection of the stock parts.

Yet as it stands today there's no way I can take this car on a 2500 mile road trip in this condition. It's not so bad that I can't drive it around town but I'm not risking having a broken down car in the middle of nowhere in Kentucky. This is super disappointing because I was hoping it'd be at least good enough to baby down to South Carolina, where my buddy, a lead mechanic at a VW dealer, can take a look (and get a taste of k04).

Sincerely, XGC75

Then I installed the DG springs, dampers, TT strut mounts and new bearings. Installation was actually easier than I thought. The bolts were all easy enough to crack @ 100k miles with a breaker bar. The sway bar endlink bolts would just turn in the ball joints until I figured out that the bolt terminates in an M6, so I pitched a 1/4 wrench around an M6 and the wrench end leaned against the frame so I could loosen the endlink nut without spinning the bolt. The spindles came off relatively easily once I got them spread far enough apart (I used two flat-head bits and a 1/4" box wrench to open it up). Also I ended up using a spark plug socket with the rubber insert removed to take the strut bolt apart - I could get a purchase on the hex head on top of that socket then send a 7mm allen wrench down the socket (where you'd normally attach a ratchet).

Endlinks:

These bolts. Surprised they came out.

The rears are much easier, aside from the rear top-mounts. Those are such a weird angle. Really hard to thread once everything is in place.

I love the new look though. It's a very subtle drop but it really makes the car look and feel smaller. The wheels look bigger and more well-fitted. Those 0.5 inches actually make me feel lower to the ground while sitting in the driver's seat as well. I wish I'd gotten the FTG measurements before so I could compare with the after-modification state. I've had no issues so far with the clearance but I've yet to really test it out in some of the more common inclines, curbs and roadkill I frequent.

Right after installation:

A bit more settled:

Steering weight is just a little lighter than before, overall. It's barely noticable, but notable nonetheless. The whole steering geometry is different, though. On-center is just a little bit less sensitive (+/- 10 degrees off center), but then at +/- 30 degrees the steering sensitivity is actually much greater, which makes around-town navigation (for things like 90 degree turns) a little easier.

It's a good thing that turn-in is marginally improved or that extra sensitivity would be upsetting the car's weight a little more than it does. That's because the front end doesn't dive quite as much into a turn, so the car feels less upset once the weight is transferred onto the outside wheels. In the middle of the turn I've noticed less body roll than before, which I wasn't expecting due to the raised roll-center when dropping the car. The contact patch feels a bit wider, like I have wider tires on the car, which lends more grip. Perhaps that's placebo or just something for 6-8 10ths and won't actually help at 9 or 10/10ths, I don't know. I'm not about to explore the ultimate grip on the street.

The ride quality, considering especially the damper refresh, is similar to before. It's marginally more bouncy, especially in rebound, but no where near enough to complain about. It's certainly not reminding me of poorly-sprung ricers or cheap bag setups. It's just a smidge stiffer than before as well. The car hits smaller imperfections just a bit harder than before but it's barely noticeable. Probably an effect of the TT strut mounts.

XGC75

Go Kart Champion
Yeah I've been dealing with that shit since mid-March and nearly 5k miles. I don't even see the light anymore. :mad0259:

Last edited:

ncsugray90

Ready to race!
Oh and lastly, this happened today:

Sincerely, XGC75
Pretty encouraging to see a tuned car that hits the track have this kind of mileage. Hopefully you can get your MAP issues fixed soon.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

damagi123

Go Kart Champion

have you thought about the PCV? im only stg2 but I was surging violently before replacing it. now totally perfect.

XGC75

Go Kart Champion
have you thought about the PCV? im only stg2 but I was surging violently before replacing it. now totally perfect.
I have, yes. But the car passes the dipstick test (the car idles horribly with the crank case leak) and every time I touch the MAP connector the car behaves differently. As a philosophical matter, I just have to have the right part on the car anyhow. I suppose I'm just hopeful that putting the right connector in there is the fix I need. If not I'll end up addressing the PCV with a catch can.

Sincerely, XGC75

XGC75

Go Kart Champion
Done. The car runs utterly fantastic now. After 17 weeks and 4500 miles I'm finally out of the fog and mud.

Not only are the MAP issues fixed, but I have a new IM and water pump under warranty.

THE CAR WORKS AGAIN.

Fuck.

I haven't looked under the hood to see the changes with my own eyes yet, but they did 5 things:

1) New intake manifold
2) New MAP sensor
3) Fixed the connector
4) Fixed vacuum lines to the N75
5) Replaced the water pump

Okay, not all are related to this issue. However, this is the time to throw a warm shout-out to Team VW/Audi in Merriville, IN. These guys are the shit. Not only can I walk in back and tool around with the techs, explain all the things I've done, take a few for an extended drive (literally 3: a tech, junior tech and master tech), hear and discuss the solutions and plan out the order of repairs with them, but they also got the intake manifold and the water pump covered under warranty for my 100k mile nearly 5-year old k04'd car. So I got all the above done for $410. Well worth it.

Let's take this piece-by piece.

The intake manifold actuator arm was broken. The actuator itself was okay and the arm itself was okay, but the shaft that goes into the interior of the IM and moves the flappers was moving into and out of the IM by about 1.5 cm. They typically move a bit but the master tech confirmed right away that it was bad. We sprayed some ether on the shaft and it didn't mess with the engine idle in either the "out" or "in" positions but the car struggled slightly when it was in the middle of travel. So this wasn't causing surging but it was doing 2 things: 1) letting unmetered air leave the system when going from vacuum to boost and accepting unmetered air when going from boost to vacuum; and 2) throwing off trims as a result. I bet this had everything to do with the kinda 'surge-y' unpredictable behavior during part-throttle acceleration around town.

The MAP sensor replacement threw me for a fucking loop. I'd replaced the damn thing 3 fucking times now. The first time was when I got the k04 installed and tuned to APR k04 v3.1 and the first sensor I bought didn't seem to work. I chaulked that up at the time to the harness not engaging fully. The second time was when this mess first started. That one never seemed to work. When I got a call from Marty (service manager - ask for him by name and tell him Trevor sent you!) the first time, he told me that the sensor in the car (call it the second sensor I bought) didn't pass their tests and the third sensor I bought (the one I butchered) did. Obviously they couldn't send me home with a sensor that doesn't latch the connector into place so they got another. Anyways fuck those sensors.

I haven't seen exactly what they did to the harness, but I hope they replaced the solder joints with VW service-approved crimp-on butts. We were talking about just wiring the sensor directly into the ECU but I'm not sure they even got to that point considering the MAP sensor in the car was faulty. I didn't see anything about the connectors or harness on the bill at any rate.

They mentioned that the vacuum lines to the N75 were kinked and that they'd take care of it. Personally I didn't think that would be the cause of the surging issues because (I believe) they're there to transmit pressure levels and they don't need to flow a whole lot. Therefore as long as the kink didn't completely block airflow it'd be okay. But hey, I won't complain that they fixed them. Certainly gives me one less thing to worry about.

Last is the water pump. Frankly I would have preferred it wasn't touched beacuse I (knock judiciously on wood) haven't had any issues with it in 100k miles and don't suppose I would have in the second half of the car's life. But hey, it was free work and if I have any problems I know who to call about it.

So that's that. I bet the initial issues with the car were indeed the MAP sensor. The second sensor clearly didn't engage with the stock harness properly. Things looked better for a few days when I replaced the N75 and took off and replaced the MAP connector. Not really sure why it was good there, but then the more I messed with the harness the worse it got. I can't say unfortunately whether it was those spade connectors not making a good connection or the MAP I had going schizo. I suppose I'll know once I see what they did with the harness. If it's untouched then it was surely the MAP sensor this whole time, though even the "good" sensor (the third I bought) didn't work in any of those configurations (except the last configuration which I didn't try).

A couple clarifications on my previous post after looking in the engine bay. First, it appears they didn't do anything to the harness. My harness works! That's a good feeling. Also they didn't clean up the vacuum lines. This agrees with the bill.

Another note about drivability. The intake manifold was causing the hesitations on acceleration. The hesitations came on so slowly and gradually I didn't really notice them. They were hard to characterize. If I recall correctly, whenever I went WOT I'd get a bunch of boost, then a split-second hesitation, then full boost again. It makes so much sense now that I think about it: That shaft in the IM was acting as a limited-travel "plug". When I was in vacuum it sealed inside the IM. when I was in boost it sealed outside the IM. When it transitioned, it wasn't sealed and I'd leak a bunch of air, hence the hesitation and the loss of boost. In fact, I bet the pressure wave was picked up by the MAP and triggered the DV. Now it's all smooth. No hesitation, just fluid boost and torque. Lovely.

ncsugray90

Ready to race!
A couple clarifications on my previous post after looking in the engine bay. First, it appears they didn't do anything to the harness. My harness works! That's a good feeling. Also they didn't clean up the vacuum lines. This agrees with the bill.

Another note about drivability. The intake manifold was causing the hesitations on acceleration. The hesitations came on so slowly and gradually I didn't really notice them. They were hard to characterize. If I recall correctly, whenever I went WOT I'd get a bunch of boost, then a split-second hesitation, then full boost again. It makes so much sense now that I think about it: That shaft in the IM was acting as a limited-travel "plug". When I was in vacuum it sealed inside the IM. when I was in boost it sealed outside the IM. When it transitioned, it wasn't sealed and I'd leak a bunch of air, hence the hesitation and the loss of boost. In fact, I bet the pressure wave was picked up by the MAP and triggered the DV. Now it's all smooth. No hesitation, just fluid boost and torque. Lovely.

So was there any reason to be replacing the MAP again since it seems it was the intake flaps causing all your issues, or did I miss something? Either way, glad to hear the car is back up and running strong!

XGC75

Go Kart Champion
No, the MAP was indeed faulty. The new MAP was good but I'd cut the connector surround off of it so we couldn't re-use it. The intake flaps were causing a separate issue than the MAP sensor. The small leak out the flapper shaft was causing some on-throttle hesitation.

My take on the MAP sensor is that the bad harness connection caused the sensors to go bad. Intermittent power from a bad connection can be pretty damaging to some sensors. Maybe that's just what I want to think because I want to think it's fixed for good. [emoji23]

Sincerely, XGC75

XGC75

Go Kart Champion
After driving this car more I'm amazed at how well it's behaving. There is no hunting around for boost. I set the throttle angle, the car just ups boost until a point and it sticks there dead solid. Even as the engine revs up. The needle doesn't jump around during transitions, either. It's all so smooth.

One more very important thing: no more boost lost during shifts. I can dump the clutch 2nd to 3rd and the car just jumps ahead and doesn't let up. Definitely because of the IM update.

This is crazy. I didn't know the car was supposed to behave like this; it instills a little more faith in me for Bosch/VW engine controls.

EDIT: and the traction control. It wasn't working properly before but it will now just barely keep me from blowing the tires off. Shit's fast.

Last edited:

XGC75

Go Kart Champion
At tire rack right now getting some Blizzak LM001 tires installed onto the Nurbs. It's going to be nice to roll around in the winter with some decent looking wheels. I did try to get a warranty honored for my 24424mi PSS, but they didn't believe I'd get anywhere with Michelin with chunks off the tread blocks from my proclaimed "spirited street driving." [emoji38]

Other recent developments: had to call my wife for a jump the other day after leaving the car off with accessory and radio on. It's a 5yr old battery, whatever. Also my rear brakes started dragging metal, so I'm installing the cryo blank rears with new pads this afternoon.

Last, I crawled under the car for my oil change and saw this. No wonder I hear clunks over uneven roads.

Other than that, I'm still bummed about the mod budget. Shit just isn't looking good. I'm back in the red after purchasing the winter tires and rear brakes, will be further in the red after a battery, new licence plate bulb, bolts for the subframe and red paint for the calipers, then by the time I'm back in the black I'll have to be saving for summer tires again.

And all I really want are LED bulbs for the F+R turn signals.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

XGC75

Go Kart Champion
This weekend turned to shit when I fucked up a routine spark plug and oil change. I dropped BKR8EIX size 5044 down the cylinder head before I realized they didn't fit. The 5044s have a 13/16" hex pattern instead of the 5/8ths of the 2668 that you're supposed to have in this car. Then when I went in to extract them, as is the nature of those spark plug sockets with the rubber grommets in them, I had to press on the plugs just as much as I was able to pull on them. Keep in mind that, since I'm doing an oil change at the same time, the engine is really hot.

So I ran out to the hardware store to get some long pliers but in the meantime the engine cooled and contracted around the plugs. What a mess. I tried twisting them out with the spark plug socket. I tried pulling them out with the pliers. I tried getting a better grab on them with the spark plug socket and hot glue, super glue, rubber adhesive, JB Weld ; but nothing, not even the JB Weld could grab more than 80 in-lbs before it gave.

So I go to a buddy's house to try and mill down a 13/16" deep well socket so that I could get between the cylinder walls and the socket hex. Spent 2 hours meticulously taking 2 thousanths of an inch radius at a time, but ultimately it still broke. It would never have had enough strength to torque the plugs out anyhow.

As a last ditch effort before footing the $2000 dealership bill to have them remove the plugs, I found the smallest socket I could fit over the body of the plug, filled it up with enough JB Weld to double its weight, then left it overnight to dry (this was day 4, by the way).

It worked. I had to twist ~200 in-lbs of torque while lifting up on the socket to get the plug out. Spent another 4 hours getting metal fucking shards out of the cylinder. First, a shop vac that did nothing, then a magnet, then a magnet with aluminum tape upside down on the tip (aluminum so that I could form it around the tip of the magnet and it wouldn't fall off), then finally the outlet of the vacuum to blow shit around in the cylinder and I could pick up any other pieces I could reach with the magnet.

Alas! It drives. It makes great power with the new (correct) plugs. Tomorrow I have a dealership appointment to get the front end patched back together (extract the front seat bar bracket bolt mentioned in the last post and add the missing tyrolsport collar), get a toe alignment and maybe add APRs NLS feature. Not sure on that one yet.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk