GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Replacement cost for Timing Chain and Tensioner

ben_m

Ready to race!
Got a quote from the Dealer for $1,500 for the Chain and Tensioner. I'm going to check to see if I have the revised Tensioner before doing the work. My car was built late April/Early May 2012 so I'm pretty sure that I missed out on the revised part.

Does that quote seem inline with what others were paying? My Geico warranty runs out next month (7years/70K) and I understand it has a much better chain along with revised tensioner. I know a lot of people usually just get the Tensioner but the dealer said its not worth just doing that. (Obv trying to increase business)

Do you guys think its worth just getting both or just stick with the Tensioner?

DELETE

Autocross Champion
Got a quote from the Dealer for $1,500 for the Chain and Tensioner. I'm going to check to see if I have the revised Tensioner before doing the work. My car was built late April/Early May 2012 so I'm pretty sure that I missed out on the revised part.

Does that quote seem inline with what others were paying? My Geico warranty runs out next month (7years/70K) and I understand it has a much better chain along with revised tensioner. I know a lot of people usually just get the Tensioner but the dealer said its not worth just doing that. (Obv trying to increase business)

Do you guys think its worth just getting both or just stick with the Tensioner?
You know your covered til at least 100k if not 120k right? I forget the exact mileage they warranted as of late.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

torga

Autocross Champion
You know your covered til at least 100k if not 120k right? I forget the exact mileage they warranted as of late.

If you're covered, the warranty only kicks in if the tensioner already failed. It will not cover preventative maintenance.

To answer OP's last question, it's absolutely worth doing both. Adding on the chain will be a small additional cost vs. paying for all the labor to tear into the timing system again later down the road.

ben_m

Ready to race!

I know they had a Lawsuit. I never got a letter stating they would honor the Chain/Tensioner. If I was under the extension list I should have received something correct?

Update: It looks like they would only partially cover repairs to the engine if it failed. Since the engine is pretty much guaranteed to fail if the tensioner goes I'd still be on the hook for roughly 40% replacement costs which is more than the new Chain/Tensioner.

Last edited:

DELETE

Autocross Champion
I know they had a Lawsuit. I never got a letter stating they would honor the Chain/Tensioner. If I was under the extension list I should have received something correct?

Update: It looks like they would only partially cover repairs to the engine if it failed. Since the engine is pretty much guaranteed to fail if the tensioner goes I'd still be on the hook for roughly 40% replacement costs which is more than the new Chain/Tensioner.
Are you the original owner? It's a toss up when it comes to bent valves and such but surely for the piece of mind I'm with you on replacing tensioner and chain if you got the bread. Can you do the work yourself?

DELETE

Autocross Champion
If you're covered, the warranty only kicks in if the tensioner already failed. It will not cover preventative maintenance.

To answer OP's last question, it's absolutely worth doing both. Adding on the chain will be a small additional cost vs. paying for all the labor to tear into the timing system again later down the road.
I know that Sir but I was getting around to assuring the OP incase he didn't want to spend on the fact that he didn't have to worry about his Geico warranty.

DELETE

Autocross Champion
You can get an OEM kit with everything necessary for $600. The rest is labor and taxes.

ben_m

Ready to race!
Are you the original owner? It's a toss up when it comes to bent valves and such but surely for the piece of mind I'm with you on replacing tensioner and chain if you got the bread. Can you do the work yourself?

Yes to original owner. Had it 7 years coming up next month. Could I do the work? Maybe, but its my daily driver and I have 3 kids, 1 of which is 4 weeks old, so time isn't exactly something I have. And something I'd rather not have my car lose. (Bad timing joke...)

DELETE

Autocross Champion
Yes to original owner. Had it 7 years coming up next month. Could I do the work? Maybe, but its my daily driver and I have 3 kids, 1 of which is 4 weeks old, so time isn't exactly something I have. And something I'd rather not have my car lose. (Bad timing joke...)
I hear you. Either way you go it's worth it.

2012TP

Drag Racing Champion
$1500 seems to be the going rate for the whole job, at least in this area.

aj_law

Go Kart Champion
You can get an OEM kit with everything necessary for $600. The rest is labor and taxes.

Yeah, was gonna say pretty much this.

Seem to recall quote I got was between 1.5 to 1.6K from a very reputable euro shop.

ben_m

Ready to race!
Thanks for the feedback everyone. Got my car scheduled for 1st week of June. The nice thing is the dealer puts a 1 year warranty on their work, so if they screw it up I'm covered. And while $1,500 isn't something I want to part with, still a hell of a lot cheaper than getting another car.

ben_m

Ready to race!
Update:

I do have the revised tensioner! Unfortunately the chain has been stretching (dealer said about 4 teeth and by 7 its recommended to replace) At least I can kick the can down the road for a bit.