GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Apr stage 3 or Stage 3+ ?

kern417

Go Kart Champion
i've never heard anyone say big turbo makes the car less driveable engine wise. now if you mean you have more nvh dealing with upgraded suspension/tires/engine mounts/clutch/etc. to support the upgrades i could understand that, but do you really think there are people that go stage 3/3+ just to pull it out on weekends or race days?

And i'm not sure if this is even relevant to the OP anymore since this thread was bumped from months ago but i plan on going the equivalent of 3+. Basically i've decided that once i get all my supporting mods done short of building the engine, whoever has the most readily available option will get my money. Currently that's APR.

VagPuncher

Ready to race!
I daily drive my 3+ in the city with a stage 3 6 puck drag clutch. I rather daily drive the bigger turbo because if I don't want to get into boost I don't have to. And if you want to get on it as far as traction, 1st through 3rd are pretty much useless without a good set of tires!

chrisisnapping

Go Kart Champion
And will I need connecting rods done beforehand?

Really curious as to what the breaking point is of our stock rods, I mean they are forged, just a little on the slim side

greasyginzo

Go Kart Champion
Really curious as to what the breaking point is of our stock rods, I mean they are forged, just a little on the slim side

I want to know why APR says do the rods on 3+ but not 3. Stage 3 makes about 20 more tq then 3+. Its not like 3+ has a nasty tq spike either.

Gunkata

Drag Race Newbie
probably a conspiracy...

Gunkata

Drag Race Newbie
I'll drink to that.

chrisisnapping

Go Kart Champion
The only conspiracy is where the fueling is

I mean it took the n54 scene 5 years to start to figure out fueling, maybe 2013 is TSI's year.

chrisisnapping

Go Kart Champion
I want to know why APR says do the rods on 3+ but not 3. Stage 3 makes about 20 more tq then 3+. Its not like 3+ has a nasty tq spike either.

They do "HIGHLY" recommend rods if running 100oct on stage 3.

But I don't think anyone who makes north of 350/350wtq is on stock internals

kern417

Go Kart Champion
according to arin they never actually had a rod fail, but it seems like their R&D deemed that it would be a necessary upgrade. Also the curves on their site show an 40 tq increase going from 93 to 100 for stage 3+, who knows how that translates to stage 3 but it's ample. plus the torque on 3+ is almost square once the rpms go up, but stage 3 drops off significantly.

To be honest I don't see myself doing anything above k04 without upgraded rods. Anything that can make it a more reliable setup is a go for me, the turbo kit should be the last thing on the list to get installed. I'm tired of fixing issues as they come, a preemptive strike is where it's at. :thumbsup: