GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Comparison Review: OEM LED vs Replica LED Tail Lights

SIGTI

Passed Driver's Ed
I know this is an old post but I think it's important to have a word in regarding Ed's replicas.

I went ahead and purchased the cherry's for $360 shipped to my door which is a great deal. After installation the drivers side reverse bulb went out. I went to Wal-Mart, purchased a replacement and installed myself. Ed went ahead and refunded me the $5.05 for the bulb.

But beware, you will most definitely not get OEM fitment and quality. After taking the time to look over my install I noticed gaps, drivers side and passenger side lights not matching up, and parts sticking out. After a close inspection you'll notice the China like quality of the build on the inside of the LED's.

I also ended up with a few scratches on my drivers side LED but I don't even want to bother uninstalling and asking for another set. The pictures on the 1st page sum it up.

All in all, lesson learned. If you want something 100% perfect, you have to really spend the money for it. I give these Replicas a 5/10.

Hyun

Passed Driver's Ed
Just thought I'd drop my opinion... I bit and purchased a set of reps, at $385 it sounded like a good deal... Upon arrival, I was greatly disappointed with how the product felt in hand... Basically, it felt very cheap... I thought I'd at least give it a try and check the fit and look... I installed the inner lights only to find a broken part on one of the outters... I'm sure these woulda looked nice, but I immediately halted the install and boxed everything back up and decided to return them rather than wait for a replacement... It didn't feel right putting reps on my car anyways, especially after dropping 30k on it... My stock tails work just fine for now, definitely OEM next time around.

I've actually gained an odd appreciation of the stock taillamps over the last 2 years.

They may not be as cutting-edge as the LEDs, but I am beginning to feel that the rear lamps are so big, and that LED tails are just way too much RED for a smaller car. (yes I've seen them on a car)

ok carry on.

Uamishka

Ready to race!
Just installed ed's lights and oem leds side by side and to be honest with you there is very very little noticeable difference. OEMs are a little darker which brings out glossiness and the LEDs themselves might be a little brighter and crispier...but to be honest it is really hard to even notice the difference. Had ED's on the car for a year and they are awesome lights.

Austin_W

Go Kart Champion
You're comment is sorta vague. I agree you can't see the gaps from 300ft away, but anything closer than 100ft you can see the light is crooked or you'll see gaps being off, if you do a quick glance you probably wont catch it.

I understand most of you guys are younger working at fast food or living off parents. So justifying an extra $200 for OEM fitment/quality is out of the question. But as time goes on, you'll learn its sometimes (usually) not worth trying to save a buck and going the cheap route.

Some of the cars above have the lights sticking out further than the other. If you can live with a crooked car then be it. I know I didn't spend close to 30k on a car to modify it with cheapest parts I can find which don't really fit like they should.

^^ That comment is ignorant, disrespectful and coming for someone who claims to be neither of the above, I would have thought you could think before you post. I'm a "YOUNGER GUY" and I work my ass off to own my car and make a living and I don't think there's anything wrong with that. Typical BMW owner.

On to the lights... If they fit like OEM they wouldn't be cheaper. If you're willing to deal with the gaps, buy reps. There's nothing wrong with that. If not, save up the extra 200 clams and get real OEMs and you'll have no fitment issues. It's simple as that. It should be immediately apparent. No surprises.

EDIT: Wow, this thread is old. Got caught up in the moment. Sorry for the unnecessary bump.

Last edited:

Cpuga93

Ready to race!
^^ That comment is ignorant, disrespectful and coming for someone who claims to be neither of the above, I would have thought you could think before you post. I'm a "YOUNGER GUY" and I work my ass off to own my car and make a living and I don't think there's anything wrong with that. Typical BMW owner.

On to the lights... If they fit like OEM they wouldn't be cheaper. If you're willing to deal with the gaps, buy reps. There's nothing wrong with that. If not, save up the extra 200 clams and get real OEMs and you'll have no fitment issues. It's simple as that. It should be immediately apparent. No surprises.

EDIT: Wow, this thread is old. Got caught up in the moment. Sorry for the unnecessary bump.

Lol that shit is true. What a jerk. I'm young and guess what I don't work at a fast food joint or live with my parents. You know what I do? I fly critically wounded soldiers to hospitals and keep them alive. And yes I'm only 20 so you have no right to say that shit.

ina12K04gti

Ready to race!
You get what you pay for. Some can live with fitment like that, some cannot. I for one could not stand to look at that daily. The Chinese can knock off everything from a $100 dollar bill to a f16 fighter jet but I sure as hell wouldn't fly in one.