GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Anyone experience mid gear clutch slip on DSG? (APR K04 + APR DSG Tune)

jay745

What Would Glenn Danzig Do
If my dealer does not change the fluid, do you guys think it is worth shelling out the high cost to get it done anyways?

If so, should I start changing it every 20K?

Is there sort of preventative action I could take to prevent this? I have read in various threads that those bolt on cooler things are kind of pointless.

If it helps, I have APR mobile and could provide any needed logs.

Also, I have never done any of those DSG calibrations.
You can do it yourself, or come to Chicago and I'll do it for half of what dealers charge :D

zrickety

The Fixer
It's pretty easy. Only 4 liters if you don't flush it. Spend a little extra on Motul and do it yourself.

Jaber

Modero
I agree. I've read a lot on the subject and slipping in most cases is the culprit for excessive heat in the DSG box. It's well documented that heat is the main killer for the mechatronics unit as well. My Unitronic DSG tune also sorted out the clutch slip I was getting when I went K04.

Now that I know what clutch slipping sounds like on the DSG, I'm shocked at how many people post videos on youtube of their K04 GTis racing other cars and you can CLEARLY hear their DSG slipping on gear shifts. Little do they know that there's a massive bill waiting for them in their near future.

In4Videos. What does it sound like?

lilfleck

Go Kart Champion
I guess I failed to mention, I am K04.

figured you were on oem software but not sure what they did
APR K04 + APR DSG Stage 2 Tune

You really shouldn't have slip on stock turbo
Sorry, K04

I would try another adaptation and maybe switch to Motul. Do you know that the level is good??
I followed instructions, it should be fine.

My DSG started slipping at about 65K miles. I didn't really notice it but was discovered when I put the car on the dyno and logged boost. The normal correlation between boost and torque was way off. Unitronics had me do some TCU logging to confirm the slipping. I can tell you what they had me log but I don't know how to interpret. In DSG it was group 120 engine load specified and delivered and of course rpm. Looking at the specified column it appears that the max allowable torque appears in NM. The log indicated low torque in my case during the 4th gear run from 2K to 7K rpm

I was running a GIAC DSG tune at the time, I switched to Unitronics Stg 3 DSG tune and its torque setting was higher. I assumed that the higher setting would help solve my problem, however the torque settings that the tuners are using in their advertising is about max torque setting allowed. It does nothing to increase clamping force to remedy a slipping clutch.

I asked Unitronics to provide a custom version of my Stage 3 DSG tune with clamping force increased and they did so ( warning - I did have to wait a long time to get it but they did deliver as promised). It solved my slipping problem and now I have a bit of torque steer when going from 3rd to 4th WOT.

Most tuners do not sell/advertise tunes that turn up the clamping force. I think HPA is one, DriverMotorsport was another (could not find a way to buy it).
Interesting. Were there any other logging parameters besides specified/delivered load & RPM?

Log the DSG temperatures and the cars duty cycles.
Check for any faults and make sure ABS sensors are in tact and re calibrate.

Edit: try changing out fluid at 20k intervals. DSG flashes are harsh on the fluid and a few guys have found this to be the sweet medium.
Any threads on this?

Increased torque limit not clamping force ^

And to Hoosier daddy no need besides own unless tracking here in the US. Also if it doesn't slip it doesn't make as mush heat so less cooling needed. Can launch mine 3-4times with no issue with Temps with zero cooling system.
I really don't think it's heat related. Don't you think it's odd that it doesn't slip at low RPM in high gear @ WOT?

I really think it's related to clamping force. I went to stock load/tune (ECU) and there is zero slip.

FriggenT

Go Kart Champion
My DSG started slipping at about 65K miles. I didn't really notice it but was discovered when I put the car on the dyno and logged boost. The normal correlation between boost and torque was way off. Unitronics had me do some TCU logging to confirm the slipping. I can tell you what they had me log but I don't know how to interpret. In DSG it was group 120 engine load specified and delivered and of course rpm. Looking at the specified column it appears that the max allowable torque appears in NM. The log indicated low torque in my case during the 4th gear run from 2K to 7K rpm

I was running a GIAC DSG tune at the time, I switched to Unitronics Stg 3 DSG tune and its torque setting was higher. I assumed that the higher setting would help solve my problem, however the torque settings that the tuners are using in their advertising is about max torque setting allowed. It does nothing to increase clamping force to remedy a slipping clutch.

I asked Unitronics to provide a custom version of my Stage 3 DSG tune with clamping force increased and they did so ( warning - I did have to wait a long time to get it but they did deliver as promised). It solved my slipping problem and now I have a bit of torque steer when going from 3rd to 4th WOT.

Most tuners do not sell/advertise tunes that turn up the clamping force. I think HPA is one, DriverMotorsport was another (could not find a way to buy it).

When I talked to Daryll @ HPA, he said there isn't necessarily more clamping force, and then went into technical stuff as to why it worked, but it was over my head.