GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

The Random / "Stupid" Questions Thread

smanierre

Autocross Champion
Gonna hit 75k miles soon and I want to drop my car off to have the tensioner/chain replaced. I want to have some other maintenance things done, but I'm having a hard time coming up with ideas. I plan on keeping the car for another 2-3 years, so I just want to make sure the next few years will be as problem free as possible without really going overboard.

I'm thinking I'll have the fuel pump replaced, I think those are every 40k so it should be about time.

I don't remember when I had my rotors and pads replaced. It's probably been a couple years and that's something that should be done every 2 years if I remember right, so I'll have to ask my mechanic when I had that done.

It's probably about time to replace spark plugs. Seems like it's been 40k or so since I've had new ones installed. Coils should be ok I think, I've got R8 coils with some old oems stored in the car for backup.

I'm gonna have them go over all my mounts and bushings to see if everything looks/feels good.

Seems like I may be having an intermittent issue with an ABS sensor so I think I'll have those replaced.

I've had a clunk noise for a long time and I think its my upper strut mounts, so those are getting replaced with audi tt mounts.

How long are wheel bearings supposed to last? or should I just wait until one goes and then have them replaced?

What else should I be planning on doing?

Not really on the same level as all the other stuff but I do my cabin filter every year around spring time. Like $10 online and takes a few minutes. Also brake fluid, I think every 2 years is the recommendation, not totally sure though.

sterkrazzy

Autocross Champion
Not really on the same level as all the other stuff but I do my cabin filter every year around spring time. Like $10 online and takes a few minutes. Also brake fluid, I think every 2 years is the recommendation, not totally sure though.

Cabin filter probably isn't a bad idea. I want to say it's been a while since I've had mine replaced, but I forget that one of the last times my mechanic had my car the cover for the filter was sitting on the ground. I think they replaced it for me without telling me or charging me, but maybe they only looked at it.

Francoleon91

Drag Racing Champion
CEL for 02 sensor running to rich. Bank 1 sensor 3.

Sensor 3 is the the 3rd furthest away (post cat) from the engine? CBFA engine.

PhthaloType

Go Kart Champion
How long are wheel bearings supposed to last? or should I just wait until one goes and then have them replaced?

They'll likely last well past 100k, maybe even the whole life of the car. I see no reason to change them unless they start wearing out. When they do, you'll have plenty of warning before they get too bad, so it's not like a wheel's just gonna fall off one day.

ahard48

Ready to race!
Talking mounts. I have 034 engine, trans, and HPA puck ready to go in. Now when I was researching months ago I read somewhere that the dogbone pendulum mount can crack if too much stress. I couldnt word it accurately to search but I know I read something about it. Is it okay to install the mounts with the stock dogbone pendulum mount, or can I do one and not the other and still be okay? I'm sure someone can remember this issue.

BoostedVW11

Drag Racing Champion
Talking mounts. I have 034 engine, trans, and HPA puck ready to go in. Now when I was researching months ago I read somewhere that the dogbone pendulum mount can crack if too much stress. I couldnt word it accurately to search but I know I read something about it. Is it okay to install the mounts with the stock dogbone pendulum mount, or can I do one and not the other and still be okay? I'm sure someone can remember this issue.

Just something to keep in mind:
When you install your HPA puck..you should go to volkswagen and get a new bolt for it as its a stretch bolt. So if you dont install a pendulum mount now and do it later, youll have to buy another new bolt.

Also expect nvh increase until your mounts break in, dont worry it will settle down. :bellyroll:

gonna be more pronounced at first since doing all 3 mounts at once. cleans up so much slop youre gonna love it, enjoy

ahard48

Ready to race!
Just something to keep in mind:
When you install your HPA puck..you should go to volkswagen and get a new bolt for it as its a stretch bolt. So if you dont install a pendulum mount now and do it later, youll have to buy another new bolt.

Also expect nvh increase until your mounts break in, dont worry it will settle down. :bellyroll:

gonna be more pronounced at first since doing all 3 mounts at once. cleans up so much slop youre gonna love it, enjoy

Yea I cant wait, very excited. Question at hand since I am upgrading the main 3 mounts, should I worry about to much stress on pendulum mount and it breaking. Would it be wise to upgrade this as well before installing mounts or will I be fine?

BoostedVW11

Drag Racing Champion
Yea I cant wait, very excited. Question at hand since I am upgrading the main 3 mounts, should I worry about to much stress on pendulum mount and it breaking. Would it be wise to upgrade this as well before installing mounts or will I be fine?

Others have run oem pendulum mount with engine/trans mounts and you can, but might as well upgrade it .

Heres what you do, order a pendulum and a bolt. Install hpa puck and pendulum. Go for a drive so you can see the difference.

Come back..let car cool down, do engine and trans mounts. Test drive again (handshake)

Have fun getting the oem puck out, its sort of a tradition to give the oem mount the middle finger and post in on forums :laugh:

smanierre

Autocross Champion
I know this is a bit off topic from the forum but does anyone know what turbo a '14 beetle uses? It's the gen 3 TSI engine but it doesn't seem to use an IS20.

snobrdrdan

former GTI owner
I know this is a bit off topic from the forum but does anyone know what turbo a '14 beetle uses? It's the gen 3 TSI engine but it doesn't seem to use an IS20.

With the 1.8t or the 2.0t, it's a mashup of the 2.0T TSI (Gen1) and the Gen 3 engine...it's a unique setup
The intake manifold is Gen 3 style & no MAF sensor, for a couple examples, but the turbo location is in the Gen 1 location still (although with a V-band flange on the downpipe)
I don't know what they refer to the turbo as though

dustbunny227

Autocross Champion
Shouldn't there be something behind this part of the intake? Seems like a perfectly good waste of air...

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

smanierre

Autocross Champion
Just finished having my clutch done and I noticed that when I push down the pedal, there is a lot of resistance before it actually hits the stop. The clutch is fully disengaged, but I can push a bit more. When I do, it's way harder than the rest of the travel and once I let off it sticks there for a second then comes back up. Anyone else experience this? The guy at the shop said he bled it 3 times.

uglybastard

Autocross Champion
Just finished having my clutch done and I noticed that when I push down the pedal, there is a lot of resistance before it actually hits the stop. The clutch is fully disengaged, but I can push a bit more. When I do, it's way harder than the rest of the travel and once I let off it sticks there for a second then comes back up. Anyone else experience this? The guy at the shop said he bled it 3 times.

which clutch are you on?