GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Quest to defeat ESP... Join!

thedude4bides

Go Kart Champion
R owners on vortex have been posting on VWoA's FB page and I didn't want you to miss the fun.

Link:
http://www.facebook.com/VW?fref=ts

Vortex thread:
http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthread.php?5879723-Quest-to-Bring-The-2-Stage-ESP-to-The-US-Golf-R...

My post:
"VWoA, if you're listening, if you care, if the buyers of the most expensive and "elite" Golf's ever sold in the states mean anything at all to you; please provide an update that puts control back into the hands of the driver. Please allow the Golf R drivers in the United States to fully disable ESP.

Oh, and please fire whatever "suit" came up with this ridiculous idea."

davesxx01

Go Kart Champion
Done!

JettaRacer

Passed Driver's Ed
I wonder why it is not able to be fully disabled in the USA. Probably because of excessive litigation concerns, DOT being overly protective of the population or what? Even Audi does this with some of their cars now in North America, they will not provide the roadside emergency jack ( aka widow maker) although it is still provided to all owners in the rest of the world. Though there is good reason, the roadside jack is a complete pile of crap.

thedude4bides

Go Kart Champion
How excessive can the litigation concerns be with at most 5,000 R's in the states? I can make an uneducated guess (bc I really dont know) that other manufacturers of "enthuisiast" type cars have way more than 5k cars out there in the US market with defeatable ESP. Hence, I conclude that VW is being unnecessarily risk averse or that other car manufacturers are callously negligent. I doubt the latter is the case...

ThatJohnGuy

pppffftttt
I just went back and found them all, liked them all, commented on a few others.. Looks like they have to acknowledge this issue now! LOTS of posts on there :)

Deaks2

Ready to race!
Doesn't disabling the steering angle sensor in VCDS deactivate the ESP? It works on the GTI...

freedomgli

Passed Driver's Ed
Good luck complaining to VW via FB hoping for change. But I wouldn't hold my breath if I was you. VW thoroughly developed, evaluated and approved the ESC as-is, taking into account customer satisfaction as well as warranty and other potential costs such as tort litigation. While revising the ESC isn't all that difficult, there is likely a huge internal bureaucracy that requires validation, approval, etc. At this point I doubt it's cost effective for them for them to revise the ESC, especially considering that you've already bought the car and their rationale for not offering ESC defeat probably has not changed. If ESC defeat was the one thing keeping them from selling their US allocation of Golf Rs then they might think different but ESC defeat is probably a minor issue to most buyers. And for those who need ESC defeat there's always the aftermarket. Where there's a will, there's a way!

thedude4bides

Go Kart Champion
Good luck complaining to VW via FB hoping for change. But I wouldn't hold my breath if I was you. VW thoroughly developed, evaluated and approved the ESC as-is, taking into account customer satisfaction as well as warranty and other potential costs such as tort litigation. While revising the ESC isn't all that difficult, there is likely a huge internal bureaucracy that requires validation, approval, etc. At this point I doubt it's cost effective for them for them to revise the ESC, especially considering that you've already bought the car and their rationale for not offering ESC defeat probably has not changed. If ESC defeat was the one thing keeping them from selling their US allocation of Golf Rs then they might think different but ESC defeat is probably a minor issue to most buyers. And for those who need ESC defeat there's always the aftermarket. Where there's a will, there's a way!

Before this thread gets cluttered with posts like this, all R owners will have plenty to enjoy without defeating ESP and will not likely sell their cars if nothing happens. It's understood that our band of brothers may win nothing from this electronic battle. At least VW will realize that we won't go quietly into the night.

As far as finding a way, I won't waste time citing all the attempts to do so. It suffices to say that far greater minds than mine have given up.