GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

I'm new and it's quiet here, so let's talk about our car histories!

osnap

Hi all!

It's quiet in here, man. I bought my '12 R a week ago today, and I've been creeping and searching all around this forum soaking up some great knowledge about my new weapon of choice a LOT - so I feel like the least I can do is say hello!

I've adored the R so far - I'm happy to call it the best all-around car I've ever owned, and I've had a lot of great ones. Car history in order (just because I think it's a really fun conversation to have). I'm 26, for the record, so these start in '05.

91 Volvo 240
Hey cool, free car!)

94 Honda del Sol S
Ahem... Yeah. But I was absolutely smitten, and I owe my enthusiasm for cars to that little embarrassment.

93 Honda del Sol VTEC
Graduated to 'JDM' style. Great little 160hp 1.6L DOHC motor. Revved to 8.5k. Rare flagship model not unlike the R. Stolen and stripped. Sorry about your neck. :(

93 Mercedes 190E
Daily beater. Clean + stock but unreliable as all get out)

93 Nissan 300ZX N/A
OH... So THAT'S what torque feels like! Bolt-ons. Literally traded a friend for this car, straight up. Those days were fun. Never really got a good photo of it.

03 Honda S2000
Coilovers, sticky tires, bolt-ons, VAFC piggyback tuned... touge prepped. My first 'dream car'. Girls didn't hate it either.

04 Subaru STI
Stage 2+ @ 310whp, similarly touge prepped. Gripped like hell and moved too. Minty clean, one of the best cars I've owned.
[L: Friend's WRX. R: My STi]

This is the part where I sold my STi to buy an 07 BMW 335i, but the owner backed out at the last minute and left me carless... nice guy. Really helped disprove the Bimmer stereotype. Had to buy a car same day essentially, so I bought a friend's...

06 Mitsubishi Evolution MR

410whp on stock turbo, lots of other go-fast goodies. Holy shit this car could go. Awful interior though aside from the Recaros. Sadly, the car was set up more for street racing (buddy upgraded to a GT500 that's making 1,000+hp these days) so I couldn't quite fall in love with it, and I didn't have the effort or funds at the time to really re-build the car to my liking. Plus I was afraid I wast going to get into trouble.)

93 Miata R-Package
100% touge toy weekend car. NB motor swapped, bolt-ons, coilovers, chassis stiffening galore, rollbar, 15x8s with sticky rubber. Absolute blast. If you've never driven a Miata, don't knock it til you try it.

06 TSX 6MT
Stock. Definitely the most boring, but god this car served me well. 3 years of filling the tank, changing the oil, and rowing through a fantastic 6-speed mated to a relatively uninspiring K24A2. Only mod: countersunk shift knob.

And now my R.
It's a 2012 Rising Blue 2DR with sunroof, Dynaudio, and nav. 30k miles. 3" DP, APR Intake, United Stage 1 tune, Vogtland springs. Such a fun little car - I've missed boost dearly, and while the Acura's interior was great for a 9-year old Japanese entry-level luxury sports sedan, the R is some next-level shit. The car overall is just so good at so many things.

Just changed the cam follower yesterday. Planning on the HPFP and going for a stage 2 tune - tuner TBD. Reliability as a DD is extra key for me. Also on the wishlist are HPA SHS coilovers, a nice set of wheels, and upgraded audio components I'm a total music nut. No big flashy sub enclosures to rattle the block, just good clean sound. At that point I'll honestly probably call it a day. Gonna try and keep this one pretty mild - it's such a great car out of the box, and absolutely perfect for my daily commute and occasional backroads.

Anywho. Hope some of you guys found that interesting, it alleviated my boredom to type it out for a minute. I'd love to read some of your car histories as well!

See you guys around.

thedude4bides

Go Kart Champion
Welcome! Wow, neat cars man. Enjoyed reading. If I were to start all over I'd probably have gone with UM. Great tune for the R. Has a boost control feature that is pretty neat that other tunes don't have.

My car history:

'89 5 speed Golf
'91 5 speed jetta
'00 5 speed jetta
'02 5 speed GTI
'07 6 speed GTI Base (first NEW Car)
'08 6 speed GTI Autobahn
'12 6 speed GTI Autobahn
'12 Golf R

XGC75

Go Kart Champion
Dang. Nice collection! Must be nice to just trade cars with buddies. My gti is my only interesting car, but I dream about owning more than a few on your list. Some day.

zrickety

The Fixer
I'm a little jealous, you've had a lot of nice cars. I had a B16 Crx that would hang with your Del Sol. Wife had the automatic TSX, great car but tiny interior compared to the Golf.

osnap

'89 5 speed Golf
'91 5 speed jetta
'00 5 speed jetta
'02 5 speed GTI
'07 6 speed GTI Base (first NEW Car)
'08 6 speed GTI Autobahn
'12 6 speed GTI Autobahn
'12 Golf R
Well damn, Dude. I'd say that makes you a bonafide dubber, eh? Pretty cool progression! My 240 and 190 were both autos, but all the others had three pedals too :thumbsup:

Dang. Nice collection! Must be nice to just trade cars with buddies. My gti is my only interesting car, but I dream about owning more than a few on your list. Some day.
Do it man! Variety is the spice of life. The trading cars thing was back in college with cheaper, more expendable vehicles - made for some fun spur-of-the-moment decisions for sure.
I'm a little jealous, you've had a lot of nice cars. I had a B16 Crx that would hang with your Del Sol. Wife had the automatic TSX, great car but tiny interior compared to the Golf.
The B16 was such a great little motor, wasn't it? VTEC engagement was so dramatic :D

kharma

Ready to race!
85 Chevy Cavalier 2.8L convertible - met tree
86 Buick Century penalty box
86 VW Golf GL
98 VW Golf GL
01 VW Golf GL
03 VW GTI 1.8T
92 Golf GL
06 Audi A3 2.0T
00 Audi A4 1.8T Avant
04 Volvo V70R
71 Porsche 914 2.0L - on stands forever
09 Audi A3 2.0T quattro

TRUboost

Go Kart Champion
Jesus you've had quite the collection over the years.

99 Ranger (high school beater)
06 STI (Black/Gold)
10 STI (1 of 125 Aspen White Special editions sold in the states)
12 GTI Autobahn/13 GLI

GPM

Ready to race!
49 Dodge (bought for $1 from Grandfather)
62 Chevy Impala (after 4 year break in Navy)
66 GTO (8 mpg, but at 40 cents a gallon, who cared)
70 Dodge Dart (what was I thinking?)
63 VW (beginning of the college years)
67 Austin America
60 Mini 1275
72 Fiat 128 Coupe (end of the college years)
66 MGB
70 Plymouth Fury (motorcycle years, used as a moving van)
86 Nissan Pick Up
96 Mustang Cobra (Vortech supercharger made it fun)
99 Corvette Convertible
01 Viper GTS (totaled at Mid Ohio)
03 Viper GTS (replacement for above)
06 Chevy Silverado (tow vehicle for race cars)
11 GTI (getting old, time to slow down)
13 R (OK, that was a bit too slow)

mattkosem1

Ready to race!
Here's my lineup, in chronological order since 02.

94 Saturn SL1 (twin can swap)
03 Toyota Matrix (only Japanese car, only auto trans car, yuck - kept less than 3 months)
01 Golf TDI
84 Scirocco (1.8T swap)
08 Rabbit
06 GTI (MKV)
13 Ford Fiesta
13 JCW Clubman
13 R

--Matt

wik

Car history

Welcome to the forum and to the world of happy R drivers. We really do have great cars.

I enjoyed reading about your prior rides, and it is nice to see the pics. I'm a little more than twice your age and I hope when you're my age you have developed a long list with terrific memories of each one. I wish I had all of my car pics readily accessible and digitized. In any case, I've been blessed with a wife of 30 years who has indulged my car addiction, not complained about the dollars I've spent, and allowed me to spend considerable time in the garage, at shows, and at the track. On several occasions she has accompanied me on trips out of state to bring cars back home so it has really been a partnership. So choose BOTH wisely! Anyway to get to the point of the post; following are my rides since getting out of college (cars purchased new are marked with an asterisk*):

76 Cosworth Vega
78 Corvette L-82*
81 Saab Turbo*
85 VW Jetta GLI*
90 Mazda 626 Turbo*
92 Subaru SVX*
73 Corvette L-82 convertible (weekend toy)
95 Audi S6 Avant*
93 Porsche 911 C4 cabriolet (weekend toy)
98 Audi A8*
94 Porsche 911 Turbo 3.6 (weekend toy)
00 Porsche 911 C4 Millennium Coupe (weekend toy)
01 Audi Allroad*
02 Mercedes AMG CLK 55 cabriolet (weekend toy)*
03 Mercedes AMG C32 sedan*
04 VW R32*
04 Porsche 911 X51 (weekend toy) * (still own; 42,000 miles)
08 Infiniti G35 (company car)*
11 Nissan Maxima (company car)*
13 VW Golf R (current daily driver; 8,500 miles)*

At 55, one realizes that life is too short for regrets, but if pressed, after looking at my own car history, I would say one regret might be selling the Turbo 3.6 when I did. It was the obviously the most performance oriented ride on this list, and while I did sell it for a nominal profit after three years of ownership, the prices of ALL air cooled Porsches have exploded in the past 2 years. My Guards Red over tan car that I sold for $55k was in better condition with lower miles than '94 Turbos I now see trading for $150-175k. Regardless, I enjoyed my time with that car. Quite a handful. This was the last year made prior to all 911 turbos going all wheel drive. Many wound up in the bushes, or worse.

baniels

Ready to race!
Mid 80's 2dr Jeep Cherokee
96 5MT Nissan Pathfinder
93 Camry
91 Alfa Romeo 164S (was pop's car, but my DD for a spell)
03 Volo V70XC
09 Rav4 (company-provided POS)
Current '10 GTI

The Pathfinder holds so many memories (from 11th grade through college), and the Alfa was a special vehicle, but the GTI is no doubt my favorite in the list.

Wife still drives the Volvo... With Blizzaks, I've never driven a better winter car.

Gunkata

Drag Race Newbie
'87 Porsche 944 – first car I learned stick on
'93 Mercury Topaz V6 "shared with my mom" Edition
'95 Chevy Corvette - Auto
'95 Toyota Supra Twin Turbo (miss this one a lot) 6psd
'97 Mitsubishi 3000GT (totaled) Auto trans
'98 Mercury Cougar
'98 Mercury Mystique (LAME - tried to be practical... for 3mos)
'99 Pontiac Grand Prix GTP - not too bad, super guido though...
'01 Ford Explorer XLT - great for hauling band equipment
'01 Porsche 911 Carrera 4 (6spd)
'03 Subaru WRX Wagon (5spd)
'04 Subaru WRX STi (6spd)
'05 C6 Corvette Z51 (Grand Sport equivalent - 6spd)
'05 Scion xA
'05 Saabaru 9-2X (WRX basically - Auto)
'06 VW GTI 2DR (DSG)
'06 Mitsubishi Evolution MR (6spd)
'08 Subaru STI (6spd)
'08 BMW 335xi E92 Coupe (Auto w/ paddles)
’11 VW GTI 4DR (6spd – Autobahn)
'12 Mazda 5 ( co-owned with the wifey )
'06 Honda Odyssey (most recent mommy mobile, got 3 kids)
'11 Audi A3 2.0T Quattro DSG
'03 Nissan 350Z Track 6MT

2013CSGGolfR

Saw that you wanted HPA SHS Coilovers. Saw a post on vortex (don't know the guy) selling a used set.

http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthread.php?7147127-FS-HPA-SHS-Coilovers&

My rides:
68 Austin Mini (occasional weekend twisties car)
89 BMW 325i (play thing for 4 years, reluctantly sold to friend in 2012)
92 VW GTI 8v (trusted daily for 5 years, until 323is, retired in 2001)
99 BMW 323is (trusted daily for 14 years, until got rammed hit-and-run in parking lot, retired in 2014)
06 BMW 530xit (family hauler)
13 VW Golf R (daily)

tdream1

Autocross Newbie
83 Nissan Stanza
84 Z-28
87 Subaru XT Coupe Turbo
87 Mazda RX7
91 Eagle Talon TSi
95 Eclipse GS-T
98 Acura Integra GSR
98 Ford Explorer
04 Subaru WRX
07 Mazdaspeed 3
10 VW GTI

The GTI is the first car I've ever kept with no plans to trade in.

Next up on the agenda is either a Porsche 996 turbo or a 997 Carrera S. Just want to enjoy no car payment for a while.