GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Any Track Rats Still Active?

Roadrunner_GTI

Drag Racing Champion
surprised he didnt let you pass after that...

code brown all day

Definitely a code brown. There wasn't really a good place to give a point-by in the section after the turn. He did pit in directly after that, which is required by the event organizer after a four off situation.

We had been bunched up for several laps stuck behind a few drivers that refused to give a point-by, so when we finally got the last point-by we may have been a too excited. :laugh:

Last edited:

zef

Drag Racing Champion

Eowyn89

Just watched that Deliverance video...Code Brown, indeed. As y'all may recall I picked up an E36 M3 this summer as a possible replacement for my GTI as a daily driver. After driving the M3 for a few months, I have decided to just keep all three of my cars and continue using my GTI as a daily and occasional trackday car (I just don't want to beat up the M3 as I was lucky enough to find a nice one and want to keep her stock). I recently got around to upgrading the anti-sway bars (H&R 26 front/24/rear, both on soft) and the subframe kits (front/rear) on the GTI and, wow, what a difference they make. I can carry far more speed into corners on canyon carving drives that I think I may need to upgrade my brakes before I go out on the track next year. I am currently running stock rotors/calipers/lines, but have Hawk HPS pads and ATE Typ 200 fluid. A friend of mine suggested upgrading to the Golf R brakes, but I have see several posts recommending the Boxter brakes and I was curious what all y'all use. Thanks!

Roadrunner_GTI

Drag Racing Champion
I recently got around to upgrading the anti-sway bars (H&R 26 front/24/rear, both on soft) and the subframe kits (front/rear) on the GTI and, wow, what a difference they make. I can carry far more speed into corners on canyon carving drives that I think I may need to upgrade my brakes before I go out on the track next year. I am currently running stock rotors/calipers/lines, but have Hawk HPS pads and ATE Typ 200 fluid. A friend of mine suggested upgrading to the Golf R brakes, but I have see several posts recommending the Boxter brakes and I was curious what all y'all use. Thanks!

One of my favorite mods are the H&R front/rear sway bars and subframe kit. It's unbelievable how much more stable the car feels in the turns, especially with elevation changes. I also have mine both set on soft, and it seems to be a very balanced setup.

As for brakes, I'm still running stock size setup:
Centric High Carbon Rotors
G-Loc R8 Pads
Tyrolsport Stiffening kit
Motul RBF600 Fluid
Dust shields Removed

So far this setup had served well for moderate-advanced level track days. I can't say enough about the G-Loc pads. I'd like to eventually go with a BBK, but this is more for ease of pad swaps for track days.

Looking forward to the last track event of the season next week at VIR. Running the Full course Thursday and the Grand Course Friday. :)

BoostedVW11

Drag Racing Champion
One of my favorite mods are the H&R front/rear sway bars and subframe kit. It's unbelievable how much more stable the car feels in the turns, especially with elevation changes. I also have mine both set on soft, and it seems to be a very balanced setup.

As for brakes, I'm still running stock size setup:
Centric High Carbon Rotors
G-Loc R8 Pads
Tyrolsport Stiffening kit
Motul RBF600 Fluid
Dust shields Removed

So far this setup had served well for moderate-advanced level track days. I can't say enough about the G-Loc pads. I'd like to eventually go with a BBK, but this is more for ease of pad swaps for track days.

Looking forward to the last track event of the season next week at VIR. Running the Full course Thursday and the Grand Course Friday. :)

get powerflex anti lift kit :thumbsup:

ChrisAttebery

Drag Racing Champion
I've wanted to do a high performance driving school or track day for a long time. Since I bought my GTI in July I've been looking at track days in NorCal. Laguna Sece is only 45 minutes from my house but all of the track days I've seen were $400+. I was watching YouTube videos a while back and found one from SpeedSF. I looked them up and they only charge $200/day. I mentioned this to my wife a couple weeks and she wasn't too excited about it. Our anniversary was over the weekend and she said that my gift was to go to the track day if I still wanted to.

I'm planning to flush the brake fluid and replace it with some good DOT4. Other than that I'm going to be running bone stock on Pilot Sport A/S 3+.

So, anyone else planning to attend the SpeedSF event the weekend of December 29-30th?

Roadrunner_GTI

Drag Racing Champion
BTW: is there anyplace in the bay area to rent a helmet? LS doesn't rent them.

I would check with the event organizer to see if they'll have helmets available for rent. The helmets they have will meet the requirements the club has defined (whether it be Snell SA-2010 or newer, etc).

With that said, I would recommend just going ahead and purchasing an entry-level open face helmet with a Snell SA2015 rating. You can typically pick them up for ~$150, and they're well worth the investment because you'll be in this thing for over 2 hours at each event (so you can imagine people sweat in rented helmets). Pyrotect Prosport and RaceQuip OF15 are a few examples.

Last edited:

zrickety

The Fixer
So jealous! I was there 2 years ago...your setup will do great. I was reeling in Corvettes and Mustangs with the K04. VIR is a great track!!
I would recommend just going ahead and purchasing an entry-level open face helmet with a Snell SA2015 rating.
x2, just get yourself a helmet. You'll likely use it again, and you won't get cooties.

LightningRhod

Go Kart Champion
I've wanted to do a high performance driving school or track day for a long time. Since I bought my GTI in July I've been looking at track days in NorCal. Laguna Sece is only 45 minutes from my house but all of the track days I've seen were $400+. I was watching YouTube videos a while back and found one from SpeedSF. I looked them up and they only charge $200/day. I mentioned this to my wife a couple weeks and she wasn't too excited about it. Our anniversary was over the weekend and she said that my gift was to go to the track day if I still wanted to.

I'm planning to flush the brake fluid and replace it with some good DOT4. Other than that I'm going to be running bone stock on Pilot Sport A/S 3+.

So, anyone else planning to attend the SpeedSF event the weekend of December 29-30th?

I usually run with the NCRC when I got to Laguna Seca. It's about $190 for the day:

https://www.ncracing.org/

I used to run at Sonoma raceway all the time when I lived closer to that area. Ran with NASA NorCal, and I find that organization to be a better environment for continuous learning (drivers meeting after every session).

Haven't been in years because of life events, but I've been dying to get back into it.

theclutch

Go Kart Newbie
Just watched that Deliverance video...Code Brown, indeed. As y'all may recall I picked up an E36 M3 this summer as a possible replacement for my GTI as a daily driver. After driving the M3 for a few months, I have decided to just keep all three of my cars and continue using my GTI as a daily and occasional trackday car (I just don't want to beat up the M3 as I was lucky enough to find a nice one and want to keep her stock). I recently got around to upgrading the anti-sway bars (H&R 26 front/24/rear, both on soft) and the subframe kits (front/rear) on the GTI and, wow, what a difference they make. I can carry far more speed into corners on canyon carving drives that I think I may need to upgrade my brakes before I go out on the track next year. I am currently running stock rotors/calipers/lines, but have Hawk HPS pads and ATE Typ 200 fluid. A friend of mine suggested upgrading to the Golf R brakes, but I have see several posts recommending the Boxter brakes and I was curious what all y'all use. Thanks!

Stage 2 COBB intake and catted downpipe (stock exhaust)
Castrol RTF
Removed front brake dust shields
Front HP+ pads
Rear HPS pads (they don't have HP+ for my rear brake size. Note there are two rear sizes for Mk6)
Neuspeed 28 mm hollow rear sway bar

NO FADE at all at Club Motorsports track in NH. The red calipers didn't even change color from any heat.

ChrisAttebery

Drag Racing Champion
I contacted SpeedSF and they said that they have rental helmets available.

I'd buy one but I'm not sure how often I'll be able to get to the track. I don't want to buy one if it's just going to sit in my closet.

BTW: is there anyplace in the bay area to rent a helmet? LS doesn't rent them.