GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Small Tire bubble, make me feel better...

Randum

Go Kart Champion
I have the original tires from the dealer on still and have about 31k miles, and I was told to just "keep an eye on the tires" but realistically should probably be replaced as they are 8 years old. I understand tires should generally be swapped out after 5-6 years regardless of their use.

And yesterday for the first time I noticed a very small bubble on the front passenger tire. I did not want to mess around and put in my order to throw on a set of BFGOODRICH G-FORCE COMP-2 A/S. W

And yes I read through piles of tire threads and some great info on here, so thanks!

But of course the other members of my house felt "Its totally fine, I'm sure you don't need to replace it- you're just being ridiculous"

First picture you can't really see the rise, but second one shows where I spotted it!

Thoughts? Opinions? Personal experience with tires?

Attachments

• 20181002_115651.jpg
    20181002_115651.jpg
    114.5 KB · Views: 133
  • 20181002_115711.jpg
    20181002_115711.jpg
    85.5 KB · Views: 133

MaxAlexand

You should make this a poll.

My experience was a knot the size of a quarter, probably 10mm protrusion from the tire. I don't see any cause for concern in these pics.

Blakcard

Autocross Newbie
If you have the budget to replace the tires do yourself a favour and replace it. 8yrs is a long time to have tires on the car even if it's only 31K. There's never a concern until it is. It's kind of like a tumor in the tire.. I wouldn't wait for it to blow and the likely hood is it will.

Usually they form after hitting a pothole or bouncing off something fairly hard. It could also just be a tire defect that you're seeing now.

If it was me, I would move that tire to the rear or put the spare on if it's the same size until my tires arrive.

Not wanting to spook you. Doesn't sound like you do a lot of driving if the you're only at 31K so.. .do what you can to be safe.

Randum

Go Kart Champion
If you have the budget to replace the tires do yourself a favour and replace it. 8yrs is a long time to have tires on the car even if it's only 31K. There's never a concern until it is. It's kind of like a tumor in the tire.. I wouldn't wait for it to blow and the likely hood is it will.

Usually they form after hitting a pothole or bouncing off something fairly hard. It could also just be a tire defect that you're seeing now.

If it was me, I would move that tire to the rear or put the spare on if it's the same size until my tires arrive.

Not wanting to spook you. Doesn't sound like you do a lot of driving if the you're only at 31K so.. .do what you can to be safe.

That was kind of my thinking, I really don't want to mess around with tires. A blow out would probably be more of a pain/damage than I would want to deal with. And despite a lot of users here, I love the 18" detroits and I know it would be a bitch to replace one if it got messed up.

Eric1285

Ready to race!
Doesn't look too bad. I drove with one about twice that size for several months while I shopped for a used Michelin PSS tire in the right size, worn down to the right tread depth. I didn't want to toss out 3 other tires that still had probably 10-15k miles of life on them just because I bubbled one sidewall. Took me a few months, but I finally found a replacement that was exactly what I needed.

That said, I drive like a grandmother so I felt somewhat comfortable driving like that for a few months. Always better to replace, if you can.

1ashchuckton

Autocross Champion
Old tires now with a bubble. It's buy tires time. This is not only for your safety, but also for the safety of those who share the road with you.

Wascally Wabbit1

Drag Racing Champion
Time for new tires. With 31k on them I am sure there is not as much tread as you think. Plus rubber will break down over time. There is really no way to "just keep an eye on your tires".

31k + 8 years = new tires.

Randum

Go Kart Champion
Tomorrow morning the new tires go on- but this definitely helps me feel a little better about my decision!