GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV
VW GTI MKVI Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVI Forum / VW GTI Forum - Golfmk6.com

Go Back   VW GTI MKVI Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVI Forum / VW GTI Forum - Golfmk6.com > Technical Topics > Wheels / Tires / Suspension / Brakes / Chassis | Sponsored by The Tire Rack

The Tire Rack
Welcome to the Wheels and Tires section of GolfMK6. This area is proudly sponsored by The Tire Rack.

If you are making a purchase from TireRack, please help support GolfMK6 by clicking through to them with this link or clicking on the Tire Rack banner ad. Doing so helps give back to GOLFMK6 so we can keep this place running!

Old 10-13-2018, 09:40 PM   #1
Logan176

Drives: 2012 GTI
Parking Brake Issue Due to Caliper?

I just took my 2012 GTI to VW today to swap out the brake fluid and look at my parking brake because it's been pulling up too far... about 9 clicks... and the handle has an inch or so of play when the brake in disengaged. I was told the problem is a faulty brake caliper. Does this sound right?

Now, I usually change the pads and rotors on my cars. I only brought the car in because I don't like flushing brake lines. The pads and rotors on my 2012 GTI have 92k miles on them with a decent amount of pad left, but the rear rotors really should be changed due to rust creeping in from the edges. For changing the rear rotors, pads, the right caliper, and flushing the lines, VW quoted me $1,000.

Is it just me or does that sound ridiculously high? The parts, including shipping, from Deutsche Auto Parts is only $400.
Logan176 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2018, 09:56 PM   #2
eldiablo
FIA World Rally Car Champion

Drives: Hebridean Dance interior
That's crazy expensive IMO. If you can do pads and rotors yourself you can flush the fluid in about 45 minutes. Get yourself a motive brake bleeder to flush the fluid like a piece of cake.

My Journal
eldiablo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 08:53 AM   #3
riceburner
Formula 5000 Driver

Drives: 2012 GTI DSG / K04
in for more info. my parking brake is the same way, and doesn't hold even when all the way up. i just did rotors and pads hoping that would help put everything back to spec but nope; not sure if this would be fixed by bleeding the brakes, if the parking brake needs adjustment, both, or if the caliper parking brake mechanisms are simply faulty, warranting replacement of the calipers.
riceburner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 09:56 AM   #4
Blakcard
FIA GT Champion

Drives: 2011 Candy White 2dr 6spd GTi
Did a quick Google cause just recently started having this issue and I was about to replace the cable..

then i found this

https://www.golfmkv.com/forums/showthread.php?t=172533

Scroll down to post #11.... can anyone validate this to be correct? I'm going to try it after to work to see if it corrects itself.
Old Yesterday, 10:09 AM   #5
riceburner
Formula 5000 Driver

Drives: 2012 GTI DSG / K04
^^^ copied below for referance, i am certainly going to try it when i get home!

STOP! Do not adjust the parking brake cable. The system is designed to be self adjusting. To adjust how the brake engages; get in your car, start it, press the brake pedal, release the parking brake. Then push the brake pedal as far as you can firmly, next push in the parking brake handle release button and hold it in, lift it as far as you can 2-3 times upward. Release the brakes. This will readjust the cable mechanism. If you have already adjust the cable yourself by other means you are SOL and have to undo the adjustment you have already made. If you think I am stupid ask someone with a bently manual or call a knowledge dealer (few and far between).
riceburner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 05:38 PM   #6
Wascally Wabbit
FIA World Rally Car Newbie

Drives: Rabbit Diesel/TDI/2.5L
Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan176 View Post
I VW quoted me $1,000.

Is it just me or does that sound ridiculously high?
Yes and no. It is insanely expensive for changing pads and rotors, but that is the same price I just got quoted from my dealer so it seems inline with what the dealers charge. I was quoted almost $800 for new pads and to turn the rotors. I did it myself for $300 with new HPS pads and VW rotors so if they are saying they are going to replace the caliper as well it sounds about right compared to my quote. I would want to know why the Caliper has "failed". It either works or it doesn't so what has failed exactly.

Do the brakes yourself and have them do the fluid. That's what I did. The fluids like $100.
Wascally Wabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 05:49 PM   #7
Wascally Wabbit
FIA World Rally Car Newbie

Drives: Rabbit Diesel/TDI/2.5L
Quote:
Originally Posted by riceburner View Post
^^^ copied below for referance, i am certainly going to try it when i get home!

STOP! Do not adjust the parking brake cable. The system is designed to be self adjusting. To adjust how the brake engages; get in your car, start it, press the brake pedal, release the parking brake. Then push the brake pedal as far as you can firmly, next push in the parking brake handle release button and hold it in, lift it as far as you can 2-3 times upward. Release the brakes. This will readjust the cable mechanism. If you have already adjust the cable yourself by other means you are SOL and have to undo the adjustment you have already made. If you think I am stupid ask someone with a bently manual or call a knowledge dealer (few and far between).
This totally works
Wascally Wabbit is offline   Reply With Quote