GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

What did you do to your MK6 today?

Phur

Autocross Champion
one of the motives for me to move out of this condo and into a single family with a garage is this... so i can wrench whenever i want.

Given your personality, I can’t wrap my head around you living in a condo in the first place.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jay745

What Would Glenn Danzig Do
Holy balls, how do you guys who have always lived in cold climates get under and work on the car outside when it’s 40 degrees outside?? Or do you just not, unless it’s in a garage?? Need to re-attach my front lip, figured out apparently I need to remove the OEM front splash guard....who knew it wasn’t just 4 bolts into existing holes. Of which I only put in 3.....

40 degrees is basically summer

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Phur

Autocross Champion
[emoji38]

I tried to talk my wife into a move to Iceland a few years ago. She said it’s too cold. I told her that on average it’s colder in Chicago than Reykjavik. She replied, “We’ve been to Chicago in January, fuck that too!” Shedd’s aquarium right on Lake Michigan. It was -10 before windchill effect with 40 mph winds that day!

Now she says she’s down to move to upstate NY or New England... but isn’t into a bunch of snow. [emoji849]

Last edited:

pdan

Ready to race!
40 degrees is basically summer

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Lol I grew up in PA but spent the last 5 years in Alabama. I hate the cold. But potentially moving to Billings Montana in a few months for work. Not super stoked about it.

GTiMKVI

Passed Driver's Ed
I added the front and rear Tyrolsport Subframe Kit as well as rear brakes. Had to do allinme t because of the Subframe kit, but car feels a little off. Not sure if it’s the alignment, or the fact I was used to the way it drove, but it somehow feels a little higher. I did add 2 new DWS 06 front tires last week, but I didn’t get that feeling until the Subframe kit was installed. Maybe it’s just me overreacting, but I feel a little bouncy and as if the car needs a more responsive suspension now.

Any ideas?

Handling and ride comfort are important to me, and I know that many times they don’t go together. Would like to hear any recommendations on the above, and also any additions that can be made to make the cars steering and handling more responsive, without sacrificing ride quality, and being able to drive up here in the North East during the winter.

Also, what’s your input on spacers? I know they have to be Hubcentric, but do they actually help the car, or do more damage than good?

Thanks

clownish

just clowning around
Also, what’s your input on spacers? I know they have to be Hubcentric, but do they actually help the car, or do more damage than good?

Thanks

Spacers are mainly cosmetic. If you want to control the placement of your wheels aligned against your fender and you don't want to buy entire new wheels, then spacers help you control this. You can also use spacers to clearance brake calipers or control arms if you're having problems with that.

Over time, I tend toward the feeling that they do cause a little more wear on wheel bearing lifespan but this is contested by people. I have no issues with them - I run them when I need to or feel like it. Just make sure they're hub centric and made out of a good solid material.

ACHILLES R32

Drag Racing Champion
Replace the stock Varta battery, lasted for 4yrs 36,800 miles.

Bought a interstate batter at Costco H6 / size 29 on sticker. Fit like a glove . Even was able to put the stock sleeve on. Was worried because some were saying that the older Kirkland H6 battery was not a perfect fit. However it looked exactly like the interstate one. I think interstate made those as well.

Here are some pictures

Original

Interstate

Last edited:

GTiMKVI

Passed Driver's Ed
Spacers are mainly cosmetic. If you want to control the placement of your wheels aligned against your fender and you don't want to buy entire new wheels, then spacers help you control this. You can also use spacers to clearance brake calipers or control arms if you're having problems with that.

Over time, I tend toward the feeling that they do cause a little more wear on wheel bearing lifespan but this is contested by people. I have no issues with them - I run them when I need to or feel like it. Just make sure they're hub centric and made out of a good solid material.

Thank You

Phur

Autocross Champion
I pulled my b pillar to chase a rattle. I’m hoping I got it. I think it was the spring for the seatbelt height adjuster.

uglybastard

Autocross Champion
Given your personality, I can’t wrap my head around you living in a condo in the first place.

price point and bang for buck were driving factor in the purchase 2.5 years ago. i wanted to pay mortgage instead of rent and had a looming lease renewal where i was, and market inventory was/still is very shallow. this was a temporary move from the start. might start looking in the spring. work stuff needs to be set before doing that though.

MrFancypants

Autocross Champion
Reassembled the front driver side suspension with a B6 spindle, Eibach Pro-Kit spring, new ball joint, and new wheel bearing. New tie rod ends came in today, noticed them after I finished up.

Also done over the last week: Eibach 26/23 mm swaybars, rear springs, subframe collar kit.

Hopefully tomorrow I'll get the front passenger side knocked out. I've been taking small bites out of this project a little bit every day over the last week.

Boscogn

Go Kart Champion
Got a cle p2015 couldn't be more happier just in time for carbon clean too.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

MrFancypants

Autocross Champion
In case anyone is curious about what happens to your toe when you install Passat spindles and drop the car an inch, I now have 3/4 inch of toe out at each front tire. It’s so far out you can see it.

Good to have toe plates in the garage so I can get it close enough to drive it to an alignment rack.

Last edited:

SnailPower

Autocross Newbie
I just installed the RCD330 Plus head unit. Fairly easy install minus dummy me forgetting to look for the radio adapter in the box it came in and wondering what heck to do about that for 10 minutes. I took the plastic trim off with just a credit card and fingers.

So far I'm impressed. The radio quality sounds identical and at times maybe deceivingly better. For those that initially thought it sounded flat, A. that was probably an old firmware revision and B. did you even mess with the audio controls? Lol, if your previous radio was tweaked and now you are back to stock settings, it certainly sounds different. I immediately went and tweaked them and it sounds awesome.

Everything is working regarding steering wheel controls minus the call button but that turns into an awesome bonus for me because I hated that bottom. I always pressed it by mistake and never used it. If I was going to make a call, I could do so 10000x faster by swiping my contact on the phone than talking to an ancient robot.

I haven't tested much else yet such as AndroidAuto but it has that, Mirrorlink and CarPlay. The screen touch response is flawless and it just looks complete now inside the car.

Let me know if you were on fence and have questions. I'll try to answer with as little time I've had with it. You can also DM later on if you run into this thread and want to know something. I'm sure I'll have more thoughts on it then.