GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV
VW GTI MKVI Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVI Forum / VW GTI Forum - Golfmk6.com

Go Back   VW GTI MKVI Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVI Forum / VW GTI Forum - Golfmk6.com > Technical Topics > TDI / GTD discussions

Old 04-09-2015, 04:49 AM   #1
a5admk6

Drives: 2011 Golf 1.6 TDi
New owner of a Golf 1.6 TDI 2011

Hi all,

I've recently purchased a 1.6 TDI Golf, after moving on from my 1.2 Vauxhall Corsa. Needless to say I am well chuffed with it. The ride quality is amazing, still getting used to all the features (especially the MFD) and all in all happy with my purchase, except I have a query regarding the onboard controls through the MFD.

1) I am trying to get a digital MPH display to show but cannot find this option in the MFD settings? I've got the Units set to MPG (UK) (or something similar) and cannot find the 'alternative speed display' and 'Digital speed' under the MFD settings. I have read various posts on multiple forums and they all seem to mention these two option which my car does not appear to have. Is there any special hidden menu to get to these options or do VW need to upgrade the MFD's firmware for these options to be available to me?

I'll be taking the car back to the private dealer in a weeks time as they have given me a months warranty, experiencing an issue with the passengers side electric window switch only allowing the window to come down but not back up (though I can use the drivers side controls to bring the mirror back up myself) it's probably a broken switch. So since I'm making my way back to the dealer again I just want to make sure I have the info I need should they need to carry out any additional work or have VW do it.

I keep reading regarding #1 that I may need VAGCOM to enable this setting? Doesn't seem like something I would be comfortable with since I don't really know what I'm doing.

Any feedback would be much appreciate, cheers.
a5admk6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2015, 06:46 AM   #2
Wrecksigge
Autocross Newbie

Drives: Golf MK6 2.0 TDI
Hello and congratulations to your new car!

Without knowing to 100% but is sounds like something you would have to program via VAGCOM. There is no hidden menu that i know of anyway. But why dont you just ask the dealer to do it for you when you are gonna go there anyway? Wont take them more than a few minutes.
Wrecksigge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2015, 09:08 PM   #3
baniels
Touring Car Newbie

Drives: 2010 4dr 6MT GTI
This might be too simple to suggest... But worth checking. There is a settings screen with checkboxes for the various readouts you want available for cycling through on the MFI/MFD. Current mpg, avg mpg, speed warning, route, etc. Make sure the MPH is checked here?
Old 04-10-2015, 12:27 AM   #4
TorontoDUBBER
Rally Car Champion

Drives: 2012 BL
Congrats on the new car, I'm the original owner of my TDI and after 80000km it is still perfect. Hope yours is the same.

When I go to settings/units/consumpt.dist. and switch to mpg then everything distance related turns into miles. Try it and see how it goes.
Old 04-10-2015, 02:31 PM   #5
MotMot
Go Kart Champion

Drives: 1.6tTDi BMT
New owner of a Golf 1.6 TDI 2011

I think it's always in kph - it's so you have an idea of the speed for driving in Europe etc.. there's no kph on the main speedo.. Never managed to change it...

Btw, the speedo in mine is a good 10% out compared to GPS speed...
MotMot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2015, 07:47 PM   #6
TorontoDUBBER
Rally Car Champion

Drives: 2012 BL
My analog needle also stays default but my digital read out flip flops so :idunno:
Old 04-10-2015, 08:28 PM   #7
Keithuk
FIA GT Champion

Drives: 2010 Golf GTD (170)
Welcome to the forum.

Quote:
Originally Posted by a5admk6 View Post
Hi all,

1) I am trying to get a digital MPH display to show but cannot find this option in the MFD settings? I've got the Units set to MPG (UK) (or something similar) and cannot find the 'alternative speed display' and 'Digital speed' under the MFD settings. I have read various posts on multiple forums and they all seem to mention these two option which my car does not appear to have. Is there any special hidden menu to get to these options or do VW need to upgrade the MFD's firmware for these options to be available to me?

I'll be taking the car back to the private dealer in a weeks time as they have given me a months warranty, experiencing an issue with the passengers side electric window switch only allowing the window to come down but not back up (though I can use the drivers side controls to bring the mirror back up myself) it's probably a broken switch. So since I'm making my way back to the dealer again I just want to make sure I have the info I need should they need to carry out any additional work or have VW do it.

I keep reading regarding #1 that I may need VAGCOM to enable this setting? Doesn't seem like something I would be comfortable with since I don't really know what I'm doing.
There is no MFD setting to show MPH as all Euro vehicles surposed to show KPH as well but the speedo isn't dual marked.

You need to find someone with VAG-COM\VCDS to show the large MPH in the MFD.

Flipping mirrors while reversing you need it checking with VAG-COM\VCDS.

If you want to do things by yourself then invest in a genuine VCDS from a UK distributor not a cheap Chinese cloned cable of fleabay, it the best tool you will ever buy the a VAG vehicle.

2010 Golf GTD (170) CBBB, 5 Door, Shadow Blue (P6/D5Q), Flat Tyre Indicator, Basic Protection Pack + VCDS.
Keithuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2015, 11:32 AM   #8
a5admk6

Drives: 2011 Golf 1.6 TDi
Hi all,

Thank you for your input. It does seem like I would need to get a hold of the VAGCOM or someone that has one to sort out some of these issues.

For instance, I have the 'mirror down' feature in the MFD, but my side mirrors do not automatically go down when I throw it in reverse.

The vehicle itself is used and I am the second owner on it, still drives like new though
a5admk6 is offline   Reply With Quote