GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

INSANE carbon buildup at 117k miles

amampourian

Now that I am out of college I finally have the time and the money to fix the things i've neglected for so long, one being the carbon build up issue on my valves. Being the first cleaning service at 117,000 I was shocked and almost embarrassed at the fact that I've been driving in that condition for so long. I made a trip to Eurowurx in Burbank, and the owner Vic and crew did an amazing job at cleaning the whole combustion chamber and making it look brand new. He mentioned that my build up was one of the worst he's seen since direct injection was a thing, and the before and after photos made it to their wall of shame.

Cars running smooth and not struggling anymore! Cold start isn't as ridiculously loud and choppy, and no rough idling anymore. LA folks, if you don't know of Eurowurx already, I highly recommend going there for your mechanical needs. The owner is honest and has reasonable prices. He quoted me nearly $500 less than the dealer did, and we all know the dealer mechanics are notorious for half-assing things.

Considering a stage 1 tune next...

Attachments

• IMG_3582.JPG
    IMG_3582.JPG
    197.9 KB · Views: 546

Eric1285

Ready to race!
Wow...I'm at 60k and recently had some work done. Thought about a carbon clean, but decided to put it off until 80k. Maybe I'll get it done sooner now.

ChrisB1

Go Kart Champion
Wow...I'm at 60k and recently had some work done. Thought about a carbon clean, but decided to put it off until 80k. Maybe I'll get it done sooner now.

I cleaned my carbon while changing the water pump last week. I was at approximately 61k. It wasn't as nasty as the OP's but it did take a while to clean with the soak, clean, soak, clean method.

I'm thinking about using that CRC stuff through the intake air temperature sensor port every 10,000 miles. IIRC, you can dump it in anywhere past the MAF sensor.

aj_law

Go Kart Champion
Yeah, it's kind of a mess...but considering you did your first cleaning at 117K, it's to be expected. I've done it twice in almost the same amount of mileage.

Blakcard

Autocross Newbie
wow...it's amazing none of those valves were stuck in the open position causing more stress.....i better go get mine done lol

mkv_martinez

Go Kart Champion
Wow, it almost looks like someone added debris to make that worse. Its hard to believe that is normal build up.

One hell of a motor we all fell in love with...