GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV
VW GTI MKVI Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVI Forum / VW GTI Forum - Golfmk6.com

Go Back   VW GTI MKVI Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVI Forum / VW GTI Forum - Golfmk6.com > Technical Topics > TDI / GTD discussions

Old 06-06-2013, 09:08 AM   #15
VR6Growl
Formula 3000 Driver

Drives: '12 Jetta 2.5 SEL; '14 328D xDrive
Quote:
Originally Posted by 85RedGolf2.5 View Post
that shows something a bit different. Mine actually sits about 3 inches further down
The plastic piece on the bottom and the metal piece on the top should both "lock" into the inner rim of the fill neck, that's what holds the adapter in place.

If your's is sitting lower than that it is likely installed incorrectly and that may very well be what's causing your troubles with fueling.
VR6Growl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 09:24 AM   #16
85RedGolf2.5
Formula 5000 Driver

Drives: 2012 Golf TDI w/DSG
It took the dealer three hours to install, instead of the stated 1 hr as mentioned in the letter received... I believe they pulled the filler neck, and replaced with a '13 model's or there is some other weird wizzardry going on here! Oh well, I've given up, and I'm keeping my receipts. Soon as this thing blows, I'm calling VWoA and not even going to a dealer first. They called to ask why I did the horrible survey, and this is mostly why! So, they can find me a dealer that will repair or replace my ride, whichever it needs. Oh, just got my first sample back from the only shop that the diesel flows right through their nozzles into this "fix"... It wasn't good, lubricity is at 595um, and there is some kind of sediments in it, that the company thinks is caused by either bad and leaking tanks, or from rusting tanks/lines... So, Yippee for me!

I'm sending the sample report to VWoA today, and the dealer who put it in.

"Yo Kate, where do you keep the casserole dishes? (Why?) The cat won't fit in the toaster." ALF
85RedGolf2.5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 09:43 AM   #17
85RedGolf2.5
Formula 5000 Driver

I just have bad luck!

"Yo Kate, where do you keep the casserole dishes? (Why?) The cat won't fit in the toaster." ALF
Old 06-06-2013, 10:13 AM   #18
VR6Growl
Formula 3000 Driver

Quote:
Oh, just got my first sample back from the only shop that the diesel flows right through their nozzles into this "fix"... It wasn't good, lubricity is at 595um, and there is some kind of sediments in it, that the company thinks is caused by either bad and leaking tanks, or from rusting tanks/lines... So, Yippee for me!

I'm sending the sample report to VWoA today, and the dealer who put it in.
More info please; how did you do a sample/where did you send it/what's the cost for testing/etc etc etc...

come on man; don't hoard info like this!!!

Oh, and take a pic down your fill neck so we can see your insert; just want to see what they did to it.
Old 06-06-2013, 10:13 AM   #19
YeahBuddy
FIA GT Champion

Drives: 2011 Diesel
I received this letter as well about some filler neck bullshit. So they are making us do this now or it voids fuel related warranties?

And what exactly is it? Its like a stopper for the shape of gasoline nozzles or something?
ED's 15 LED Headlights // Solo-Werk S1's // Dash Cubby // GTI Valence + Tips // Front Plate Delete // Deautokey LED Interiors - Plate lights // Door Sills // Injen CAI // OEM LED Tails // 18" Laguna Style // Toyo Proxes 4+
YeahBuddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 01:05 PM   #20
Draz
Rally Car Champion

Drives: '11 Golf TDI
Quote:
Originally Posted by YeahBuddy View Post
I received this letter as well about some filler neck bullshit. So they are making us do this now or it voids fuel related warranties?

And what exactly is it? Its like a stopper for the shape of gasoline nozzles or something?
http://pics.tdiclub.com/data/500/20T8_-_Circular.pdf

IIRC, It's an insert with two tabs that are spaced just enough for a diesel sized nozzle to be inserted. When the correct nozzle is inserted, the tabs are pushed out and the flap fully opens and you fuel up like normal. If a gas nozzle (smaller) is inserted, both tabs are not pushed out and the flap will not open, causing the nozzle to auto shut off and gas to spill out all over the place.
Old 06-06-2013, 01:16 PM   #21
85RedGolf2.5
Formula 5000 Driver

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draz View Post
http://pics.tdiclub.com/data/500/20T8_-_Circular.pdf

IIRC, It's an insert with two tabs that are spaced just enough for a diesel sized nozzle to be inserted. When the correct nozzle is inserted, the tabs are pushed out and the flap fully opens and you fuel up like normal. If a gas nozzle (smaller) is inserted, both tabs are not pushed out and the flap will not open, causing the nozzle to auto shut off and gas to spill out all over the place.
There is an inherent design flaw in this fix that people are getting (correct one anyways besides my botched fix from Jenkins VW of Leesburg). That is, there is no SEAL around the flap, so Gas will still get in the tank, however little it is, but it will still be there, and according to many threads and much research, it seems like even the tiniest bit will cause damage... so, still not sold on the fix, I know it is to cover vw's butt, but from what I see, I will hold out till after all the "fixes" are put in place and see if anymore failures happen.

Old 06-06-2013, 03:52 PM   #22
Draz
Rally Car Champion

Drives: '11 Golf TDI
Quote:
There is an inherent design flaw in this fix that people are getting (correct one anyways besides my botched fix from Jenkins VW of Leesburg). That is, there is no SEAL around the flap, so Gas will still get in the tank, however little it is, but it will still be there, and according to many threads and much research, it seems like even the tiniest bit will cause damage... so, still not sold on the fix, I know it is to cover vw's butt, but from what I see, I will hold out till after all the "fixes" are put in place and see if anymore failures happen.
You are 100% correct. This "fix" is the same as the stickers. It warns you that you're putting gas in a diesel, but if you press the nozzle, you still have the same end result, sticker or no sticker, filler neck or no filler neck. Anyway, if there are still failures, VW will then actually be looking for a solution mechanically, not blaming the failures on stupidity/ mistakes.
Old 06-06-2013, 04:51 PM   #23
85RedGolf2.5
Formula 5000 Driver

well, I'm done complaining to the forums, I've complained for half an hour to VWoA a couple days ago, and I'm just waiting for more posts from the TDI crowd about this... they are already showing up on TDIclub.com. Another guy stated it takes him longer to fill up his vw than his superduty...

Old 06-06-2013, 09:26 PM   #24
VR6Growl
Formula 3000 Driver

Yeah; the responses to this thing so far are really putting me off... I'm about to drive to Maine for a couple weeks, no way I'm sitting in a freeway gas station for half an hour trying to get diesel in my car...
Old 06-07-2013, 08:39 AM   #25
85RedGolf2.5
Formula 5000 Driver

Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by VR6Growl View Post
Yeah; the responses to this thing so far are really putting me off... I'm about to drive to Maine for a couple weeks, no way I'm sitting in a freeway gas station for half an hour trying to get diesel in my car...
I would ask the dealer before it gets installed if you HAVE to have it, "or Else"... Since it seems this is just a Cheap Fly by Night Fix... I mean, what is so hard about sourcing the correct filler neck they put in the '13s instead of some hack job or some rip off neck??? order a few hundred thousand more, and just replace the whole damned neck and viola, no hack job, and you can still fill up at your favorite stations.