GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Big Turbo Discussion Thread #2

jettaglis

Go Kart Champion
Pretty sure VW is calling up all of us and offering the same amazing deals. Just got a call at 9pm last night saying $2k off any VW on the lot plus other BS, haha. From VW south none the less John, lol.

Haha we just got in a manual r in the sweet champagne color

GTR_Killer

Go Kart Champion
Haha we just got in a manual r in the sweet champagne color

Yea the lady on the pHine was like this money's good towards any cc, jetta, Passau or gti....I'm like...I wanna a R....she was like whaaaaat....lol she got so confused. Then finally a light bulb clicked or something and she was like oh we have a limestone grey coming in 6mt....I was like hmmm, I'm more interested in DSG for the 1st time ever...thanks tho.

But I am really interested in test driving it tho. Maybe I'll stop by soon if it's still there. I can't imagine VW cars are flying off the lot over there.

I don't think so. You have a case and main shaft brace?

Ah yes! I forgot about this technique and have actually forgotten the details of the concept as well. I remeber someone explaining it and it making some logical sense.

more details?

I THINK it was something along the lines of the case is hardened so it can't expand "as much" so the gears stay better meshed together under load. Bc if the gears start to come a part even a little that is less contact area per tooth which stresses the teeth a lot more and will eventually results in shredding a gear. Ya dig?

Regardless I wouldn't worry about anything trans related till it happens. It's not like u will save much money doing it ahead of time. Just have a plan in place for when it does.

zrickety

The Fixer

U-20T

Go Kart Champion
The 02Q is just a time bomb. It will break, and when it does you just buy another one and start over. I think that's just the realization most of us have come to. Really nothing you can do outside of going to a dog box and making the car way less street friendly.

As for having cash for repairs, I think that's pretty standard among car people. But, like was said before these things are pretty reliable. Buy good parts, do good maintenance, and stay on top of things and it will stay together just fine. The rainy day fund should be mostly for tires. Lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

There are options there are 2 company's doing syncro 3-6 upgrades and there are other options as well. and then last there is also a dsg swap like I did, butttt if you go that route and are not big turbo yet dont be stupid like me, do the awd swap then so you dont need to figure out how to fit a BT kit after (referring to my 5858 v band kit) . Awd swap then BT kit so it all fits.

People who have shredded fourth.

Was your Lsd salvegable?

yes, no issue

Side note made it to h20 and back no issues. manifold sucks on cold start really really bad, and there are some other funky issues with that. but it is drivable.

ryanbmk6

Ready to race!
There are options there are 2 company's doing syncro 3-6 upgrades and there are other options as well. and then last there is also a dsg swap like I did, butttt if you go that route and are not big turbo yet dont be stupid like me, do the awd swap then so you dont need to figure out how to fit a BT kit after (referring to my 5858 v band kit) . Awd swap then BT kit so it all fits.

yes, no issue

Side note made it to h20 and back no issues. manifold sucks on cold start really really bad, and there are some other funky issues with that. but it is drivable.

How much did the awd swap end up costing you total?

U-20T

Go Kart Champion
JR,

Can you elaborate on the cold start and other issues with the IE manifold please?

Will misfire like crazy. Think of big block with big cam

How much did the awd swap end up costing you total?

It's alot depending on what you do and part ls you buy. Also if you pay to install or diy. Can be 6kish to 15k+

HYDE161

Go Kart Champion
Just at idle? Does it drive fine once at operating temp?

Justin, don't even waste your time until you have a real file to fix this. Still don't know anyone who can fix the cold start logic. I had these issues with the HPA manifold, hundreds of misfires on the VagCom counter after a few weeks.

greasyginzo

Go Kart Champion
Justin, don't even waste your time until you have a real file to fix this. Still don't know anyone who can fix the cold start logic. I had these issues with the HPA manifold, hundreds of misfires on the VagCom counter after a few weeks.

I know it is just asking for trouble. I wish somebody could figure the tuning out.